Has MovieBob been fired from ScrewAttack?

NiPah

New member
May 8, 2009
1,084
0
0
Also seems to coincide with Fullscreen merging screw attack into the Rooster Teeth network, might be interesting.
I don't agree with him most of the time, but damn if he wasn't entertaining while saying it, I hope him the best.
 

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
4,367
0
0
Roboshi said:
RJ 17 said:
Did the Escapist get rid of him? I thought he was the one who decided to leave, much like Jim Sterling.
Officially he "left" but as with any company working with an employee it's murky. Plus I believe any theories about how he left got deleted or banned. So I can only state the fact he "left" after some rather public twitter rants about a certain internet movement. If you want some actual info I'd suggest just looking up some youtube info on bob's meltdown.
Not really. He has been pretty open about why he was fired: Escapist didn't think his videos were bringing in the views, so they let him go, like many others before him.

Besides, if they fired people just for shitting on GamerGate, Grey Carter would have been let off months ago; instead he was given a second strip to write and is doing more writing work for the site in general.
 

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
1,080
0
0
Yep, my opinion more or less follows the others here. MovieBob was always someone who made decent content (especially The Big Picture) but is absolutely insufferable as a person.
 

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Apr 14, 2020
5,184
173
68
Lightknight said:
To answer the OP, It looks like he's now a member of Screenrant.com

http://moviebob.blogspot.com/2016/01/whats-going-on.html#more
The first of the "new projects" listed below can now be revealed - I have officially become part of the ScreenRant News Team!
Before he made the above update, here is what he was saying about the break for ScrewAttack's content:

So it also goes for independent producers like myself: IN BOB WE TRUST and GAME OVERTHINKER were produced for a set run with ScrewAttack, that first run has concluded and now they're on break; while fans of ScrewAttack's broader content-library have no doubt taken note that BEST/WORST EVER and TOP TEN have started back up again. So goes the cycle. I can't say when my two series will return at this point, or in what form: It's possible that IN BOB WE TRUST (for example) might find a different homebase in the interim. It's also possible (again, for example) that you might see me on ScrewAttack with another brand-new series. All I can say on that front is that you should stay tuned.
All questions answered?
Thank you! It's nice to have less speculation and more research from time to time in these forums.
 

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
4,860
0
0
CaitSeith said:
Lightknight said:
To answer the OP, It looks like he's now a member of Screenrant.com

http://moviebob.blogspot.com/2016/01/whats-going-on.html#more
The first of the "new projects" listed below can now be revealed - I have officially become part of the ScreenRant News Team!
Before he made the above update, here is what he was saying about the break for ScrewAttack's content:

So it also goes for independent producers like myself: IN BOB WE TRUST and GAME OVERTHINKER were produced for a set run with ScrewAttack, that first run has concluded and now they're on break; while fans of ScrewAttack's broader content-library have no doubt taken note that BEST/WORST EVER and TOP TEN have started back up again. So goes the cycle. I can't say when my two series will return at this point, or in what form: It's possible that IN BOB WE TRUST (for example) might find a different homebase in the interim. It's also possible (again, for example) that you might see me on ScrewAttack with another brand-new series. All I can say on that front is that you should stay tuned.
All questions answered?
Thank you! It's nice to have less speculation and more research from time to time in these forums.
In everyone else's defense, it wasn't easy to find. I had to go a page back on his terrible looking site. I'm not sure what it is with that kind of layout. Loading Ready Run's site is also awful looking.
 

StatusNil

New member
Oct 5, 2014
534
0
0
BreakfastMan said:
Besides, if they fired people just for shitting on GamerGate, Grey Carter would have been let off months ago; instead he was given a second strip to write and is doing more writing work for the site in general.
I wasn't aware of Grey Carter habitually going into bizarre, unhinged rants about the Cleansing Fire that is needed to eradicate the "evolutionary dead ends" that pollute his world by liking CoD, or sometimes passing a Republican without spitting on them.

It's a little unsettling how that kind of behavior is taken as completely above the board by some people as long as the frankly murderous rage is directed at someone they don't care for. Out of all the people on the "Anti-GG" bandwagon, Mr. Chipman is among the furthest out there, perhaps excluding that one guy who went on about building concentration camps to wipe out the uppity gamers. (Wonder what happened to him?) A while back, I saw one of those smirky "here's a peculiar individual" featurettes on him in the New Yorker, on the occasion of his famous Pixels outburst, and it just felt... dirty, indulging this seemingly genuinely troubled individual's issues for entertainment. The man needs help.
 

Drops a Sweet Katana

Folded 1000x for her pleasure
May 27, 2009
897
0
0
Slice said:
Is it weird that I have no idea who this person is? Youtube "celebrity" I assume?
He was a contributor to The Escapist who did film reviews and a couple of other things until a couple years back when he left/was let go. A lot of people around here tend to have pretty mixed opinions about him due to some of his more inflammatory political opinions (like the ever-classic 'no bad tactics, only bad targets') which sometimes seeped through into his content.
 

Vigormortis

New member
Nov 21, 2007
4,531
0
0
Windknight said:
[He] got a lot of positive press for his Pixels review.
Mmm, I don't know if I'd call it "positive press". From what I saw the general consensus was that his "review" was more of a long-winded tantrum thrown by a man-child.

It seemed most people were laughing at him just as much as they were with him.
:/
 

Drops a Sweet Katana

Folded 1000x for her pleasure
May 27, 2009
897
0
0
Slice said:
Drops a Sweet Katana said:
Slice said:
Is it weird that I have no idea who this person is? Youtube "celebrity" I assume?
He was a contributor to The Escapist who did film reviews and a couple of other things until a couple years back when he left/was let go. A lot of people around here tend to have pretty mixed opinions about him due to some of his more inflammatory political opinions (like the ever-classic 'no bad tactics, only bad targets') which sometimes seeped through into his content.
I see, so he's not even a Youtube-tier "star". Well, it sounds like he's a real peach of a human being, "No bad tactics", yuck.
Yeah, some of the tweets I've seen make me a little sick to my stomach with the venom, ire and dehumanisation. It sucks because his videos on films (and comics, but those aren't my jam) were usually pretty insightful, and towards the end all of the spite just put me off it.
 

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
1,900
0
0
Slice said:
Drops a Sweet Katana said:
Slice said:
Is it weird that I have no idea who this person is? Youtube "celebrity" I assume?
He was a contributor to The Escapist who did film reviews and a couple of other things until a couple years back when he left/was let go. A lot of people around here tend to have pretty mixed opinions about him due to some of his more inflammatory political opinions (like the ever-classic 'no bad tactics, only bad targets') which sometimes seeped through into his content.
I see, so he's not even a Youtube-tier "star". Well, it sounds like he's a real peach of a human being, "No bad tactics", yuck.
You have no idea. At one point he starting trashing Totalbiscuit on Twiiter, timing his tweets to coinside with one of Tb's chemo treatments so that he would be unable to defend himself. I liked his content and tolarated his personality but when this happened. I just stopped watching his stuff completly.
 

RedRockRun

sneaky sneaky
Jul 23, 2009
618
0
0
Kieran Freemantle said:
After The Escapist and MovieBob parted ways MovieBob ended up working as a freelancer for ScrewAttack. But he has not a video for them for over a month, so it made me wonder has he been let go again?
God I hope so. Even before I learned about how he sacrificed his balls to Anita Sarkeesian, I hated 'ol Chippy's reviews.
 

Roboshi

New member
Jul 28, 2008
229
0
0
Drops a Sweet Katana said:
Yeah, some of the tweets I've seen make me a little sick to my stomach with the venom, ire and dehumanisation. It sucks because his videos on films (and comics, but those aren't my jam) were usually pretty insightful, and towards the end all of the spite just put me off it.
This is the general consensus of people when it comes to Bob and I hate to sound hipster here but following him since his early days of Overthinker I saw his slow and steady decline poke through in his work. It was a classic case of "he who fights monsters.." after preaching about the genuine problem of Nerds becoming bullies he himself began to use his large soapbox to preach hate.

I also feel he lost his way with his Overthinker show as well, he sucummed to "linkara Syndrome" whereby his videos suddenly developed this abnormal growth at the begining and end made of terrible story-writing, sub-asylum level SFX and a huge list of characters that were painfully obviously just him in a costume (unfortunatly due to the fact Bob himself is not the lightest of people).

I just feel sorry for bob because I think it's very likely that he hasn't got any real friends, sure he's got "allies" or "comrades in arms" or just plain "co-workers", but no one he actually spends real social time with. Even that picture of a bunny he used belonged to his sister or something and apparently a sister he doesn't/can't visit often as he said it was "a bit hard to get footage of it".

To finish up I want people to remember that in the overthinkers 100th episode bob dressed up as a ghost/spirit told a huge speech about gamer entitlement and then he told HIMSELF how insightful it was.
 

Drops a Sweet Katana

Folded 1000x for her pleasure
May 27, 2009
897
0
0
Roboshi said:
Drops a Sweet Katana said:
Yeah, some of the tweets I've seen make me a little sick to my stomach with the venom, ire and dehumanisation. It sucks because his videos on films (and comics, but those aren't my jam) were usually pretty insightful, and towards the end all of the spite just put me off it.
This is the general consensus of people when it comes to Bob and I hate to sound hipster here but following him since his early days of Overthinker I saw his slow and steady decline poke through in his work. It was a classic case of "he who fights monsters.." after preaching about the genuine problem of Nerds becoming bullies he himself began to use his large soapbox to preach hate.

I also feel he lost his way with his Overthinker show as well, he sucummed to "linkara Syndrome" whereby his videos suddenly developed this abnormal growth at the begining and end made of terrible story-writing, sub-asylum level SFX and a huge list of characters that were painfully obviously just him in a costume (unfortunatly due to the fact Bob himself is not the lightest of people).

I just feel sorry for bob because I think it's very likely that he hasn't got any real friends, sure he's got "allies" or "comrades in arms" or just plain "co-workers", but no one he actually spends real social time with. Even that picture of a bunny he used belonged to his sister or something and apparently a sister he doesn't/can't visit often as he said it was "a bit hard to get footage of it".

To finish up I want people to remember that in the overthinkers 100th episode bob dressed up as a ghost/spirit told a huge speech about gamer entitlement and then he told HIMSELF how insightful it was.
That is pretty sad, in a sort of tragic way. There was also that book he wrote about Mario 3 that was apparently an unintentional window into his psyche.
 

Odbarc

Elite Member
Jun 30, 2010
1,155
0
41
I like MovieBob. I never really liked his sketches in his OverThinker series but otherwise I'll go along for the ride in his train of thoughts on things. He never really seems to sell me on his point of view on movies as he seems to dislike a lot of what I happen to end up liking. The things he considers to be really good are more often than not just decent.

All the same, I avoid ScrewAttack in general other than their death battles.
They try so hard and I don't discredit them for it but it seems like everything else that gets big gets better too. They still feel like they're still trying to find their roots or something. Plus I kind of miss Handsome Tom. That's all I think about when I see whatshisname.
 

Roboshi

New member
Jul 28, 2008
229
0
0
Drops a Sweet Katana said:
That is pretty sad, in a sort of tragic way. There was also that book he wrote about Mario 3 that was apparently an unintentional window into his psyche.
The console wars were his "..own personal Vietnam". Enough said.
 

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
3,560
0
0
I swear, I almost expect him to go to jail for exploding at a local Gamestop about Sonic's arms being blue or some other SJW nonsense.

And its a big shame, because I used to really like his content, at least here on The Escapist. I liked his movie reviews, even if I didn't agree with him sometimes, I liked his point of view, same with Big Picture, I especially loved his "TV/Comics are weird" skits.

But then he turned into a shit flinging chimpanzee and I stopped caring about him altogether.