Has Steam ever screwed you over?

SteinFaust

Jun 30, 2008
Steam, in conjunction with Games for WIndows Live decided to stop my copy of WH40K:DOW2 from working. no patches and no gamer profile to be downloaded.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
I'll say what I said before... I only buy things on Steam when they're on sale. I bought Battlefield 2 and something is wrong with it... when it connects, I get kicked by punkbuster for having something installed that I never installed... I know it's not Steams fault and I know I probably downloaded it on accident but that's kind of crap. Luckily, I bought it on sale.

Also, I might buy the Square Enix/Eidos package... tell me if it's good!

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Every time they release something for 50 EUR or more they screw over Europeans.

sooperman

Partially Awesome at Things
Feb 11, 2009
Steam screws me over on-going. I've been trying for the last three days to get onto TF2, and the servers are too busy. In fact, every game I try to play claims to be too busy to handle my request.

If only Vavle was a multi-million dollar developer with tons of heavy-hitters and bumloads of cash. Then they'd be able to get adequate servers. Oh well, all I can do is dream.

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
ProfessorLayton said:
Also, I might buy the Square Enix/Eidos package... tell me if it's good!
It's fantastic. Not only do you get Deus Ex 1 and 2, but you also get Arkham Asylum, and Just Cause 2.
Not to mention the Thief games, Tomb Raider Games, and many other ones.
I'd recommend it highly.

Stryc9

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2008
Not so far, Steam has actually been pretty good to me. I bought Audiosurf just after Christmas for $2.49, Geometry Wars for whatever regular price is $4.99 I think and I got Portal for free during some sort of promotion they had going a month or so ago.

Aux

Jul 2, 2009
I have never had any issues with Steam. It is annoying when the severs go down though.

LightningBanks

Apr 15, 2009
I bought half life anthology for £8, then it went down to £3 5 MINUTES LATER

And I also bought Counter strike 1 because i couldnt afford source, and then soucre went down from £15 to £3.50 for the weekend >.<

Then I bought killing floor for £15, then it went down to £7.50 in the christmas sale, THEN it went down again on the 26th december to £3 for a day >.<

Steam bases its sales around me, it puts on sale the games I buy ( let me know if you want games to go on sale, and ill try to make it happen ;P)

Chicago Ted

Jan 13, 2009
Eh, it changes every 24 hours at a specific time. It even says how long it has left before the next ones come in on sale. I don't think it really screwed you over.

I kinda got screwed, but it's fine really. I bought GTA SA marked down to $10 and thought that it was pretty good at 33% off. Then today it's only $3.75. Not really annoyed or anything though since I still got it at a damn good price. Also picked up the latest Flatout for only $2 at something like 95% off so I'm quite happy still.

SalamanderJoe

Jun 28, 2010
Steam died one day and I lost access to all my games. All my games being just one, Audiosurf...

And then I bought it again with a new account. So, no not really.

Rusty Bucket

Dec 2, 2008
Getting screwed right now. Torchlight keeps crashing on startup. Played it with a couple of mods, came off it and put another mod on, it crashes. Take all the mods off, still crashes. Reinstall completely, no mods added, crashes on startup. Score.

WriterX

Mar 21, 2008
Bought Saint's Row one week for some X ammount, then the next week it had it's price reduce 75%. I should had waited...

Aside from that, the occasional server down blues, and rare problems with authentication.

Arehexes

Jun 27, 2008
PsychoticForesight said:
It's a simple question,I simply want to know if it's happened to you,for example today I did some work for a neighbor and got payed,I checked steam and saw Mass Effect 2 was on Sale for $23,I left to put money in my account and now as I returned home I found it's back at full price...And now I'm a bit aggrevated and slightly pissed off.I know that it's probably my fault,but why would you change a sale during the middle of the day?...On a side note,anyone know if Mass Effect 2 will be on sale again before I waste my $23?
Well that was your own fault it had a timer telling you when it was going to end. It's been that way all week. So yeah you were right, I just can't wait for C&C:3 to hit sale.

SquirrelPants

Dec 22, 2008
Twilight_guy said:
I bought Beyond good an evil. Turns out on multicore systems the audio and video never match up. I know it's not steam's fault and just old programming but it still burns me.
That's fixable. Hit Ctrl+alt+del, go to processes, find the game, right click it and hit 'set affinity', and then get rid of some of the cores.

I THINK that fixed it for me. I think.

EDIT: OT: Nah, never has.

StephenRogers713

Pastry avenger
Jan 8, 2010
It's not really fuck me up, but it's kinda pissing me off. I live in the US but am on vacation in the UK right now, but I would like to buy half-life 2 for the flight back but it refuses to accept that it is actually me using the card.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
That Mass Effect 2 sale had a countdown timer on it...

And no, not once. For anything.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
only time i been annoyed with steam is the preload of empire total war that they waited to like the last minute to announce there would be no preload. that aggravated me cause trying to dl 14 gigs on launch day when i could drive to a store and get a copy in a fraction of the time. oreload for me means i got the game and i can play the game the day it comes out, no mucking around no running to the store.

Another minor gripe about steam is its unlock policy where games unlock on west coast time and they do not do staggered unlocks or midnight ones that you can do if you buy a game at the store at midnight you can play it then, any steam game your waiting till noon or 2 pm the next day for it to unlock. Seems to me if they worked at it they could do a system that automates the process for different time zones without much fuss.

But then again with steam wherever i go i have my games, sometimes they have great sales, the good outweighs the bad with steam either way.

RedPandaMan

I bought this to skip ads.
Oct 23, 2008
No, Steam's been good to me. It's always downloaded quickly for me and has never screwed me out of a game.

On the other hand, it screwed my friend over due to his own stupidity. Since there's no refunds, he bought Portal by itself thinking it was a separate game when he had the orange box, and he couldn't return it.