Hating Multiplayer Creep

Theminimanx

Positively Insane
Mar 14, 2011
Yahtzee, I am disapointed. You had the opportunity to make everyone's free time disappear by linking to tvtropes and you didn't do so.
I must correct this at once! [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ManicPixieDreamGirl]

castlewise

Lord Fancypants
Jul 18, 2010
I tried BL2 single player for about an hour and quit. I came back to it for multi and it was much better. I only do mulitplayer with friends though, and we all work for a living so there is only a 2 hour window every couple of weeks when we are all online and can shoot stuff. I guess thats why there are games like Dishonored to play when you are going it alone.

KoDOmega

Nov 22, 2009
Preach, brother, preach. I love Borderlands, but I have spent less than an hour playing multiplayer, and that was with someone I knew. I shouldn't HAVE to like mixing being social with gaming. Sometimes the twain just don't wanna meet.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
I think the alcohol thing is about trying to make people drink less by associating it with something more awkward and painstaking and also trying to convince you to place yourself in an environment where other people have a chance to exert control other you as your decision making slips. So in a way they agree, with drinking alone is much nicer, so much nicer that there are some people who wouldn't stop.

I mean it's not like they have alcohol advertising regulations are their to force people to experience whats felt as a more social life. I think it's probably more that alcohol advertising regulations are there to regulate the consumption of alcohol, saving money for the NHS and to stop advertising companies trying to influence society to support any idea that will make corporations richer at any expense

Dr_Pie

Aug 11, 2009
'lovely crisp dry Strongbow'

I don't care what else you said in that, I take offence to this the most. For shame. Strongbow is horrible

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
You forgot the "online friend who constantly wants to play the same game".

I'll get messaged everytime I turn on my console to play [insert title here] online. It comes to a point where I'm afraid to turn it on all together.

Mylinkay Asdara

Waiting watcher
Nov 28, 2010
I agree completely - especially on the Borderlands 2 portions. My fiancé has been playing online with other folks and he enjoys it greatly, but I find it an offensive intrusion into MY time with MY game when one of his friends just inserts themselves into whatever I'm doing and makes themselves at home. It is unnerving in the extreme and I refused to play again until we found a way to shut that door.

I am baffled as to why developers thought it would be something desirable to just let random folks wander into your single player at a whim uninvited. Truly.

Petromir

Apr 10, 2010
Dr_Pie said:
'lovely crisp dry Strongbow'

I don't care what else you said in that, I take offence to this the most. For shame. Strongbow is horrible
Horrible and sweet, There are sweeter ciders than strongbow but that doesn't make it dry.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
Never have I agred with anyone as much as you right now. I too dislike people. I have friends but people are irritating. Yet I am called anti social. I have no problem being in social situations. I go to many places with the friends I have. Why must I be forced to spend time with random strangers. As an Englishman I have been trained from birth to be cold, distant and mistrusting of all strangers. You can ask someone what time it is and if the bus has been yet. That is all.

cidbahamut

Mar 1, 2010
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
It's true, though, isn't it? This is a society that demonizes the introvert.
This has bothered me for ages.

There's nothing wrong with being the guy who'd rather just stay in and have a quiet night.

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
The thing I loved about the first borderlands was the humor, and that is very much improved in the second game. I do the side quests just to hear the extra bit of dialogue the game has for their completion.

I hate playing the game with mutiplayer, someone always want's to rush the game so I miss out on the story and level up too much for the side quests to have any challenge; being a sniper I always end up being to far away from the action to score any good loot from kills negating the whole better loot in multiplayer aspect... Borderlands 1 at least had all of their chests scaled to your level but borderlands 2 seems to have their chests scaled to areas, making them effectively worthless.

I'll probably do some multiplayer if I feel the desire to play NG+ but considering how boring the actual gameplay is once I know the dialogue rewards I probably will just play something else.

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
Mylinkay Asdara said:
I am baffled as to why developers thought it would be something desirable to just let random folks wander into your single player at a whim uninvited. Truly.
In theory, probably for convenience: you don't have to stop your game, invite your friends, restart it after they all join, etc. as you would in, say, Left 4 Dead. They can just hop in and join you. That is why there are all those network options to make the game open to everyone, invite-only, offline...

So am I the only one who read the article title and thought it was going to be about Borderlands 2's stupid-high damage/health inflation in playthrough 2 (seriously, compare level 50 weapons in BL2 to level 69 weapons in BL1; the numbers are massively boosted) and/or the rate at which players can rapidly create distance from other players if they stop playing co-op and go it alone for even a few hours then pick up with the same players from before again to find themselves 3-7 levels apart with vastly different storyline positions?

xEightBitPlayerx

Jun 26, 2011
@ Casual Shinji, if you go to preferences on Xbox live (I assume that's what you use), highlight "Appear Offline" and then sign in. You will not be bugged and then invite in whomever you wish when you want to play multiplayer, hope this helps. As for PC or PS3 I don't know if it has those options.

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
It's not hard to see why the introvert is demonised. Encouraging gaming or drinking alone or advertising it in that fashion will sell one copy/beer. Discouraging it will multiply the potential market exponentially.

Yahtzee's right though. Everything seems to be a group activity now. Even when I go to a library to read, it's as loud as an urban cafe with groups of students talking, library staff chatting amongst themselves, and mommies thinking it's a good place to take their screaming kids.

Oct 27, 2010
I pretty much feel the same about multiplayer. I constantly get bombarded with messages via facebook asking "You on live? etc." and the answer is always the same, no. No, no, no. I don't care about competing, or even playing co-op, and I don't play well with others. All I care about is that a game is fun and enjoyable.

So what happens when you take 2 somewhat socially awkward people and put them at a party together? Some signed books, and some backhanded compliments. lol. Seriously though, it was nice to meet you at Escapist Expo, I find the easiest way to deal with anxiety is the ability to be able to laugh at yourself, it works for me anyways.

...and there's nothing wrong with drinking alone!

Great article, keep up the good work! :)

The Hungry Samurai

Hungry for Truth
Apr 1, 2004
I find the Borderlands solo experience wonderful, and the improved story and more fleshed out characters of BL 2 only increase that enjoyment. If anything, I always do my first play through solo, and then I fiddle with multiplayer so I can play at my own pace and appreciate the games humor and story without slowing down a more experienced players progression.

Afterwards I bring along buddies for the big challenges and sweet loot. It's a shame Yahtzee won't acknowledge that with this game it's not the quality, but his taste in games that makes him dislike it.

For me the heavy loot games are for people who like the challenge and equipment bragging rights of MMO type games, but without many of the hassles of the genre (impersonal story, monthly fees, guild drama) if that's not an acquired taste, I don't know what is.

PeterBain89

May 2, 2012
As much as I agree that multiplayer shouldn't be shoehorned into every game that's predominantly single player, you have to admit it works on some occasions. I mean, look at Ass Creed II; Excellent single player that more than makes up for the previous instalment's failings, but also a peripheral multiplayer that lets you hunt other players for sport. Tactics, executions and holding a grudge against the sod that killed you three times in a row. What more could you ask for?

Bindal

May 14, 2012
xEightBitPlayerx said:
@ Casual Shinji, if you go to preferences on Xbox live (I assume that's what you use), highlight "Appear Offline" and then sign in. You will not be bugged and then invite in whomever you wish when you want to play multiplayer, hope this helps. As for PC or PS3 I don't know if it has those options.
Depends, but most social programs have such a feature called "invisible". In Steam, it is called "offline", as you can't chat with people anymore and basically log out of Friends. (but still can use the rest of the Community-features like Matchmaking, Cloud, ect.)
And I am pretty sure that PS3 offers the same thing, too - don't ask me where, as I don't use PS3.