"Hatred" Reveal Trailer. Or as I like to call it, "The Next Big Controversy"

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
So a trailer for a new isometric shooter in the vein of hundreds of twin-sticks and most obviously the original Postal was released. It features a no-name, long-coat wearing guy talking about his hatred for humanity before going out of his house to mow down civilians. The trailer's below but be warned, it's pretty violent:

So what do you think? Is there too much violence? How bad do you expect the reaction of the mainstream press will be?

Personally until we see some more on this game that shows itself as more of a parody style game like Postal 2 I can't see this as anything more than just "Shock Value: The Game". I'm not shocked by it at all, that doesn't mean I can't see it for what it's trying to be from these first impressions. Anyway, this is going to garner a lot of the "Bad" press near its release.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Looks stupid as shit, honestly. Imo, the only way a game like this can work is with a serious sense of self-awareness. Usually games like this would be classified as social satire, but all I see from the trailer is "THIS IS SUPER SERIOUS, GRRRRRR THE WORLD IS SHIT" angsty BS.

The reason GTA rampages work is because they are goofy as shit and you can't help but laugh like a madman. This game looks like it's just trying to disturb/shock people, which is pretty lame.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
Fappy said:
Looks stupid as shit, honestly. Imo, the only way a game like this can work is with a serious sense of self-awareness. Usually games like this would be classified as social satire, but all I see from the trailer is "THIS IS SUPER SERIOUS, GRRRRRR THE WORLD IS SHIT" angsty BS.

The reason GTA rampages work is because they are goofy as shit and you can't help but laugh like a madman. This game looks like it's just trying to disturb/shock people, which is pretty lame.
They don't even need to be obviously wacky. This game needs to go the full way and make itself so edgy that it becomes funny. License the entirety of Linkin Park's discography, have the character laugh about killing babies and have customizable long-coats (with fedora DLC), make it a parody by overcharging the various aspects of a metalhead, emo or goth.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
ToastiestZombie said:
Fappy said:

They don't even need to be obviously wacky. This game needs to go the full way and make itself so edgy that it becomes funny. License the entirety of Linkin Park's discography, have the character laugh about killing babies and have customizable long-coats (with fedora DLC), make it a parody by overcharging the various aspects of a metalhead, emo or goth.
That would be where the self-awareness comes in. I agree completely :p

PsychicTaco115

I've Been Having These Weird Dreams Lately...
Legacy
Mar 17, 2012
Country
United States

I think it's honestly trying too hard to be controversial, if it's trying to sell itself on it's violence.

Remember, it's only fun if the game doesn't make/force you to do something immoral

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
This is kind of a weird split for me.

I like the art direction, and the executions, and the general goal of causing mayhem for the sake of it. But if gunning down unarmed enemies is the bulk of the game, I can see this boring me.

RobotsAreAttacking

Oct 15, 2014

...Well...I kinda liked the music. At least, I think it was music.

I agree with Fappy, though. The game is taking itself way too seriously from the looks of it, and it just comes off as juvenile and stupid. Like something I would have made back in my early high school years if I cared enough.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
So it's pretty much a new Postal well a more budget and Sin City wannabe version of Postal? Either way the game itself is so flamebaiting for the media and we all know how Postal ended so well.

Longing

Nov 29, 2012
this looks very tasteful and I cannot wait for 12 years old little psychopaths to get their hands on it.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Man, the edginess is almost too much for me to handle!!!

But seriously, even if I liked these types of shooters, I wouldn't buy this. There is a thing as too much gore and it honestly just looks like something some douchebags made to get media attention. Like that movie Rage.

Guerilla

Sep 7, 2014
Looks fun, I like it. Always loved anti-hero movies and games, they're usually pretty interesting.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Well at least it's painfully aware of itself.
That being said, there's only a few exceptions to the rule of "ironic bad is still bad" and I highly doubt this is going to be one of them. Just looks plain boring.

Longing

Nov 29, 2012
Guerilla said:
Looks fun, I like it. Always loved anti-hero movies and games, they're usually pretty interesting.
I don't think he quite fits the criteria of an antihero.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Idiotic controversy sells. It looks like an indie title so that will help them. Wanna bet that it will sell like hotcakes if it turns into a controversy?

In reality, there is nothing controversial about this game. The game isn't going to turn anyone into a hate-filled lunatic. The fact that hate-filled lunatics that go on rampages are real is the reason this game exists. Fix the society and games like this won't have a place in it. But what do people do instead? They cry about a violent video game.

Happiness Assassin

Oct 11, 2012
Honestly it looks like Hotline Miami as written by an angsty teenager with severe misanthropy. And not as fun... and less vibrant... and a lack of self-awareness. Okay it is nothing like Hotline Miami.

Guerilla

Sep 7, 2014
Longing said:
Guerilla said:
I don't think he quite fits the criteria of an antihero.

You're right. Still, I'm fine with villains too as long as the devs keep things interesting. To be honest there's not much to go on from this trailer but I'm intrigued. I'm usually on the side of people who want to make something different or provoking so I'm keeping a positive attitude about this.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Its basicly the first Postal except the reason of why it exists doesnt seem as good or as well handled. Very forced in this one.

Still, the gameplay looked cool, just wish it does something more with the premise like the original Postal did (the game shows the main character as a broken man instead of showing him as being right and everyone else wrong).

Thoughtful_Salt

Mar 29, 2012
If they have valid (ie. good and defendable) artistic reasons for all of that slaughter, then this may be a game to at least take a look at?however I have never been more disturbed by a trailer like that before, and it's hard to shake that feeling.