Have you ever bought a game you knew nothing about and upon playing it found it to be AWESOME?

MonocleClaire

Sep 21, 2010
Back when I was a wee lass (well, thirteen) and my games happened on a once-a-month basis when my mother took me for our monthly shopping trip, I stumbled across a PS2 game that instantly appealed to me. Japanese style graphics, lots of mythology and playing as a FUCKING WOLF. This game was Okami and I very vaguely remembered seeing a review of it in a games magazine. Eventually, after browsing some other games and having to make an agonising choice, Okami found itself in a plastic bag and coming home with me.

I got home, popped the game in and didn't emerge from my bedroom for at least nine hours. Okami proved to be at least five times the game I'd expected. Likable NPCs, s hug, beautiful and sprawling non-linear world that felt at least twenty times as big as it actually was and, most of all, Okami was the first video game ever that made me so invested in the world and its characters that I cried like a ***** during the pre-final boss cutscene, the final boss itself and the ending credits. To this day, Okami is what I hold up to be one of the best games I have ever played and my favourite game ever.

So, that's my story. How about you, Escapist?

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Basically was my case with Oblivion.

I knew jack shit about it. Hell, I thought it was an MMO the first time I overheard people talking about it.

Edit:

DAMN IT, ESCAPIST.

CAPTCHA ADVERTISMENTS ARE BACK? Aren't you making enough money without selling ad space in Captchas?

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
My first game for the PS3 was the God of War collection. I have heard people talk about the series, but I've never played it and knew nothing about it.
Now I'm a frickin' Kratos fanboy.

Same thing with Prince of Persia actually. I had Warrior Within from when it was newly released, but never got very far. When I bought the collection for PS3 and played through the trilogy I fell in love.

YOUM@D123

Dec 17, 2010
a little game called 'barbarian'for the ps2 it was 2 bucks i bought it and it was pretty awesome
a little terrible... but still pretty ok

EDIT: god darnit everyone else's games are actually awesome

i read too many gaming websites and magazines so i know about all the awesome games ;_; (well most,)

OmniscientOstrich

Jan 6, 2011
Fallout 3, I had no idea what I was getting into there. Ended up spending nearly 150 hours on it. So yeah, I rather enjoyed it.

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
Mount & Blade: Warband. I bought both Warband and the first game, during a Steam sale. Me and my mate, his PC connected to my tv, me on my laptop, playing for hours. Was so epic. Fucking love that game...

Plague

Jan 13, 2011
Portal.

I had The First Slice sitting on my account for about a year. It was after it became free I began to consider it. It was after about 3 months of it being free I decided to play it.

Going into the game, all I knew about it was it had cake in the end. That was literally all I knew. So long story short; it blew my mind.

8bitmaster

Devourer of pie
Nov 9, 2009
yes. I bought crysis with knowing nothing about it, and loved the shit out of it. I had to play it on low at the time, and had trouble with physics, but I found the game a blast without knowing it was the epic benchmarking pc exclusive it was.

mikey7339

Jun 15, 2011
I keep mentioning this game but, Descent: Freespace. I was worried it wasn't going to be as good as TIE Fighter. Pleasantly surprised I was wrong.

Burs

Jan 28, 2011
Bought STALKER SOC as it was a FPS and cheap and fell in wuv with it.

bought it again on steam as I gave the disc away to a curious friend.

Pretty much happened when I bought my first TES game Battlespire ^.^.

Archangel768

Nov 9, 2010
1. Curse of Monkey Island
2. Knights of the Old Republic
3. Jedi Academy (forgot about the dark forces games at the time and didn't realise they were connected when buying it)
4. Uncharted 2 (came bundled with the PS3, heard it was supposed to be good from a friend (which he had only read about online) turned out to be amazing.)

Leviathan_

Jan 2, 2009
Fallout 3.

'twas an impulse buy, but I ended up spending around 200 hours on that game and the DLC. In fact, I recently finished up Fallout New Vegas (Enjoyed that game even more) and I might do another F3 playthrough now.

intheweeds

Apr 6, 2011
When i was a kid i asked for some game for christmas, i don't remember what it was, but i do remember not getting it and instead getting Dr. Mario. I was disappointed, but it turns out Dr. Mario was a great game and my sister and I played it all the time.

More recently I bought a little indie game called 'Samarost 2' on steam cause it was on sale for like nothing and i thought i would support the dev. It's not 'stellar', but it's pretty good actually. The art style is really well done and the puzzles are fun. I've played it through a few times now. Was a nice surprise. :)

NathLines

May 23, 2010
Yeah, when I was younger. I never used the internet or anything so I only had the back and front of the cover to go by. I did know that Nintendo would never betray me though, so I bought mostly Nintendo titles. Nowadays I ALWAYS read up on games. Way too many holes to watch out for when being a PC gamer D:

One that stands out though has to be Tales of Symphonia. I had just gotten into manga 'n anime, so I bought it only because the box art appealed to me. It was the most expensive game I had ever bought(used AND full price, wtf?). And I absolutely loved it! Great battle system, great story and characters(it did help that I was too young to see how cheesy it was).

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
saints row 2 honestly its easily one of my favurite games on my xbox and I got it just wanting a freerom style game