Have you ever bought a game you knew nothing about and upon playing it found it to be AWESOME?

Plague

Jan 13, 2011
Oh! Another game has popped into my mind! The original Phoenix Wright. I was told by a friend that it was a game where you play as a lawyer. I really did not expect what that game threw at me.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Psychonauts. People kept mentioning it in the context of awesome. Turns out it was very much in the context of awesome ^_^

PS thank god I don't seem to be getting the advertising Captchas - are the US only or something?

BottleOfAwesome

Jul 6, 2010
Dragon Quest: Journey of the Cursed King.
Saw it one in the shop one day and just decided to buy it... and I'm so glad that I did.
I spent 125 hours playing for just my first play through. Its still one of my favorite games of all time

Doucheus Maximus

Jun 25, 2011
Little Big Planet, I knew absolutely nothing about it and thought it would just be that game I play for a weekend or two then forget about it for a long time until I'm all out of other games to play. Let's just say I never left the house for a loong time. Hell, I even bought half the DLCs for it and the sequel.

SpaceBat

Jul 9, 2011
Hmm...Prince of Persia: Sands of Time? I think I read something about it somewhere, though I'm not sure what. I guess I'll try it out.

AbstractStream

Feb 18, 2011
Plague. said:
Oh! Another game has popped into my mind! The original Phoenix Wright. I was told by a friend that it was a game where you play as a lawyer. I really did not expect what that game threw at me.
Damn. Ninja'd.
I was gonna say exactly that.

I also wanna throw SMT: Nocturne out there. It was pretty damn awesome and I had no clue about it until I played the game.

vivster

Oct 16, 2010
though it's now against my policy to buy stuff that i don't know there were 2 instances in my former life

first was Baiten Kaitos
i don't even know when or why i picked it up... the only thing i know is that it is one of the best jrpg i ever played

next was God of War 2
i didn't own a ps2 so when i got my ps3 i was browsing through the ps2 bargain titles
i vaguely remembered it being mentioned on some gaming sites so i picked it up
i didn't even know that it was the 2nd and not the first game(it's not really apparent on the cover)
well i played it and liked it very much
and i have yet to find a better hack'n'slash

Dragonborne88

Oct 26, 2009
The Gothic series! Bought it randomly in the store, seeing that it was an RPG and knowing pretty much nothing else about it. The first and second rapidly become some of my favorite RPGs ever with the faction system, and the overall story and character interactions. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. to a degree too, not knowing anything about it, and falling in love with it.

Now that I think about it, it seems most European games seems to have this effect.

TheLastSamurai14

Last day of PubClub for me. :'-(
Mar 23, 2011
Shadow of the Colossus, Fallout 3, and Borderlands immediately come to mind. The first 2 I had an inkling as to the plot of the games, but the latter I had absolutely no idea about apart from the sales it garnered.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
lockecole21 said:
aba1 said:
saints row 2 honestly its easily one of my favurite games on my xbox and I got it just wanting a freerom style game
i have the pc version.the only thing i like about it over the 360 version is you can mod it.
either way you have to admit its fun as all hell even just driving around is pritty fun

Dark Sup3rn0va

Jul 14, 2009
KOTOR, Oblivion, Fallout 3. I know they've all been mentioned already but I bought all of these games with not really knowing what they were. Well Fallout 3 was bought because of the Bethesda logo on the front, since they made Oblivion.

Chaos James

Bastion of Debauchery
May 27, 2011
Goldun Sun for the Gameboy Advance. A week after Christmas, I wanted a game for my GBA I got for Christmas (me and my brother were sharing a copy of Mario Kart atm). So I'm at Zellers looking through the shelf for a good game worth my Christmas money. Goldun Sun caught my eye, but I knew nothing about it, so we asked a staff member to open the glass so I could read the back. After seeing it was an RPG and convincing myself it was worth it.

I was right, it was awesome. Probably the best GBA game I've ever played, and one of my favorite RPGs.

Jodan

Mar 18, 2009
i bought steambot chronicles on a whim an that turned out to be a very unique expiriance
oh when i first saw rouge galaxy i was like ooo space boats and i bought it, i ended up loving it.

Wado Rhyu

May 19, 2010
for me it were 3 games first was morrowind. i found it a sales bin and though why not. played the game for more then 3 and a half years. the other two were portal and half live 2 ( plus episode 1 & 2). now its hard to believe to never have heard of half-live and i did here it was a shooter and kinda a big deal noting more. btw i bought the orange box for tf2 thats how i got HL 2 and portal

Victor Burgos

Aug 20, 2010
Mine was Beyond Good & Evil. I bought it for $3.50 at a bargain bin without knowing what it was. Turned out to be one of the best damn games I've ever played.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
Peter Jackson's King Kong: The Official Game of the Movie

I thought I'd get some mediocre game where you play Kong beating up some dinosaurs then climbing in NYC. What I really got was a tense survival-horror FPS with some awesome scenes, unique enemies and cool music.