Have you ever bought a game you knew nothing about and upon playing it found it to be AWESOME?

Canus

Feb 15, 2010
I bought Planescape: Torment based on how much I loved Baldur's Gate, which I bought because I wanted to play DnD but had no friends ):

More recently, I had fallen in love with Warcraft 3's meager rpg/rts combo elements, but wanted more rpg. a google search for "rpg/rts games" turned up the name Spellforce in several places. Later, when the game went on sale on steam I remembered that and tried out the first one. a hundred hours of gameplay later I bought the second one, even though the sale was over. The final expansion (stand alone expansion) for the second game will never come, sadly. The dev ran out of money and is closing down. I guess steam sales can't save every studio, eh?

Will Bowes

Apr 25, 2011
in my case it was a little gem i used to rent out on the ps2 all the time called "zone of the enders" ever heard of it? its made by konami and the visuals the gameplay the story it just blew me away i cant wait to get it again on my 360 and they say zoe 2 is even better also today ocean thei picked up star last hope for 11 euros collector edition i know nothing about it here's hoping it was worth the 11 euro investment haha!

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
B-rad747 said:
brunothepig said:
Mount & Blade: Warband. I bought both Warband and the first game, during a Steam sale. Me and my mate, his PC connected to my tv, me on my laptop, playing for hours. Was so epic. Fucking love that game...
I did the same thing and bought it during a steam sale as an impulse buy. That game is amazing. The best way I can describe is it's like if the people from the total war series and the people from the elder scrolls series made a game minus the magic.
I've actually been wondering what it would be like with magic... With Fire And Sword disappointed me. Something about it, or maybe lots of little somethings, just wouldn't let me get into it like I did with Warband. A fantasy setting seems like it could be a fun approach, although balancing would be a trick and a half. Then again, that was one problem with the guns.

Ansem-The-Wise

Oct 19, 2008
Psychonauts. Saw it on a shelf, thought it looked good, took it home, found out it was one of the best games I would ever play.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
The first Mount & Blade game. It was an impulse buy, and I rather regretted it at first. Didn't see the point in it. After a friend gave me a few pointers, I became absolutely addicted to the game, and bought all the subsequent entries in the series. Warband is by far one of my favorite games.

Turing '88

Feb 24, 2011
God loads, although most were bought for me as a kid to be fair, off the top of my head Final Fantasy VII, Baldur's Gate 2, Metal Gear Solid, Another World (great game) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Another_World_%28video_game%29 and loads more.

The very best though was KOTOR 2, I was randomly browsing 2nd hand xbox games and thought I'd give it a go. Hoped for a semi decent game to kill a few hours. Expected utter crap, but ended up playing it non stop for god knows how long (when I should have been revising for my GCSE's!). Other than the Baldur's Gate series I've yet to find another game anywhere near as good, and unlike the BG games this one was an instant hook.

I kinda miss those days, until I was about 11/12 I knew absolutely nothing about games, but my dad would lend and buy games from friends for me that they recommended so I ended up playing some diverse but fantastic titles, now you can't help but know about any big game months before it comes out.

Arisato-kun

Apr 22, 2009
All I heard about Disgaea 2 was that it has exploding penguins. So I bought it. I still consider it the best SRPG of all time.

Mavinchious Maximus

Apr 13, 2011
Battlefield Bad Company 2, it was when I first upgraded to high speed internet and I needed some multi player game to go with it. After playing cods modern warfare 2s multi player and realized it was way to over-hyped, I started playing battlefield and realized its magnificence.

supermariner

Aug 27, 2010
Two games fit this bill exactly

Crackdown and more recently, Arkham Asylum.

Crackdown was in my very early days of my 360 when i didn't have many games to my name yet
and that prior to seeing it in the shop in which i bought it i'd never even heard of it before

and as for Arkham Asylum, i bought it the day before yahtzee's reviw of it so the same story applies. upon seeing it in the shop i thought 'a batman game? why haven't i heard of it?' and so whisked it away home only to find it a real gem

sage42

Elite Member
Mar 20, 2009
The First Fable game, it may not have been perfect but I had a blast with it. It's still one of my favorite games. Another one was a Harry Potter game for the PS2 if you can believe it, Harry Potter Qwiditch I think it was. It was ten bucks we thought it would be fun, and it was.

Skoldpadda

Jan 13, 2010
A little known game called Final Fantasy VII, back when it first came out.

I thought it looked a bit like Mystic Quest (which didn't have the FF tag over here).

I was blown away. I was completely obsessed with it for months.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
The only thing I had to go on when buying prototype was a yahtzee review. Turns out prototype is totally awesome. Who knew?

LarenzoAOG

Apr 28, 2010
Singularity and Metro 2033, having read very little about them pre-release I saw there were both set in Russia, which for some reason makes me very excited, both games were very good and I played throught them many times each.

Also Fallout 3, having played the first two I decided to pick up the third one, I remember thinking, "I haven't played a 2d dungeon crawler on the 360 yet," was very suprised it was 3d and not made by the original devs, still very good and one of my favorite games.

Hugga_Bear

May 13, 2010
A few:

Final Fantasy 7. Guy in the store said it was ace, never heard of FF before so I went for it. That turned out bloody brilliant.

Battlefield 2: Modern Combat. Send sister to get Battlefront 2. Regret. Play anyway. Awesomeness ensued. (this game got me into online gaming, shooters and battlefield and remains one of my favourites of all time, even if it's pretty badly outdated now. The maps alone...)

Psychonauts. Saw it, thought it looked cool, bought it. No regrets.

Cursed Frogurt

Aug 17, 2010
Secret of Mana and Earthbound. I knew next to nothing about them when I rented them. The former introduced me to RPGs (and this was during the golden era of awesome JRPGs on the SNES), the latter became my favorite game of all time.

Gearran

Oct 19, 2007
Wow. I think I'm going to predate just about everyone else on this thread by saying Earthbound.
I mean, look at the box!
http://starmen.net/mother2/images/official/ebBox.jpg
That looks silly! Plus, I'd never heard of the game before. But I figured on a rental run to Blockbuster I'd give it a shot. NEVER regretted it.

Cursed Frogurt

Aug 17, 2010
Secret of Mana and Earthbound. I knew next to nothing about them when I rented them. The former introduced me to RPGs (and this was during the golden era of awesome JRPGs on the SNES), the latter became my favorite game of all time.

Delock

Mar 4, 2009
The only ones I gotten that I knew nothing about before purchase have been PS1 or Gameboy (Advanced) games with the exception of The Darkness for the 360.

However, I've bought a few games knowing almost nothing about save for their developer/review score/articles I'd stumbled across about their development/etc.