Have you ever discovered something on accident that you love to this day?

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
Blender,the animation software which I make my animation stuff on.

Okay seriously now. That is something I just accidentally came across. I was in my first year of college and wanted to design computer games (All I could get was an I.T course) a friend of my introduced me to a program called MUGAN, which I had a play around with though I couldn't really work it out. However I started searching the internet and came across RPG Maker XP, downloaded the trial to it and played around with that, had better results. I also came across Google Sketch up while looking around for more programs to play with.

However I was then looking round for more little freeware game design things and I stumbled across blender.I downloaded it, gave it a whirl and now I use it just about everyday. Tried to make games with it but they didn't pan out well. So now I just do animations which I heavily enjoy doing. If your curious and would like to take a look at them I have a few vids on my profile on here, nothing much, just mostly testers and little snippets of unfinished stuff (which I hope that sentence isn't breaching the advert rule on here, if so then I'd be happy for the mods to delete it out :) ).

Ho and T.V tropes. Which I blame on a user on this site for leading me towards... YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE... I LOST 3 days because of that.

Heartcafe

Feb 28, 2011
HumpinHop said:
Heartcafe said:
HumpinHop said:
General_Potatoes said:
My bookmark page is too long. (Thats what she said XD)
snip
Why yes. Down here in Florida at least, I believe the date is within this month, if not next week. A promotional cover was on display of a green dragon (I forget which dragon from the books was green, I need to reread the whole 2700 or so pages again) last week so it is definitely coming soon.
*Spits out soda in surprise

This MONTH? Really?! Wow, I didn't know it was so soon! Thanks for telling me. I think I have to look up the info for the book now. Gosh, it's been so long XD

pln9fos

Mar 17, 2010
Three words: Kung Fu Panda

Ironically, when I saw the first posters for the film, I thought it was going to be crap. Then I happened to see a trailer for it completely by chance, and I got intrigued. I am now addicted to the Kung Fu Panda franchise to the point that I'm seriously considering becoming a voice actor to try and find a way to make my KFP fan fiction get onto the big screen. Can you say turnaround?

darkstarangel

Jun 27, 2008
A guy on my facebook friends list posted the zero punctuation review on guitar hero on his page. I came on the escapist to watch the rest of them & here I am.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
First encounter with Touhou: found a 2-part video on Youtube of someone beating Phantasm. Didn't think much of it at the time. Don't even remember when it was.

Not sure what happened in the middle, but I came across occasional references without really knowing, particularly in the case of "McRoll'd".

September 2010: Upon discovering that a friend has all of them up to 12.3, I ask if I can get them off him, and I do.

Present day: <3

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
One time I was on Netflix, flipping through movies, when I found a show called Fear Itself. At first I thought "This looks stupid", and when something looks stupid, I like to make fun of it. I watched the first episode, and as soon as the title sequence (which remains now as my favorite title sequence ever), my mood changed from giddy cynicism to "HOLY SHIT THIS IS AWESOME!!!"
It was like a modern version of the Twilight Zone: An interesting concept made into a short, 40 minute minimovie with some of the best plot twists ever. The only thing it needs is an iconic host with a badass voice.

Hawk eye1466

May 31, 2010
My discovering this site zero puncutation and gaming in general.

What started all of this was me getting a PS2 when I first got it I didn't have internet so I bought games based on the cover so one day I was in my local target and I saw Destroy all humans so since the cover looked good I got it and loved it then one day I was flipping channels when I discovered the show Cheat they were talking about destroy all humans which is the only reason I kept it on and since I liked it I kept the channel on and the next show was X-play and they showed a preview of zero punctuation that day I thought it was hilarious but since I didn't have internet I couldn't look it up. Fast forward a few years and I remember the show but not the name so I look for a while and eventually find this site.

Odbarc

Elite Member
Jun 30, 2010
Dexter.

I figured it would some live action Dexter's Laboratory so I passed it by on Rogers on Demand.
Bored and having seen everything else, I decided to give it a try when Season 2 was complete. I immediately watched both seasons front to back and a few months later, season 3 came out too.

Then I had to WAIT a LOOOONG time for season 4. Good stuff.

Ham_authority95

Dec 8, 2009
DatCracker said:
Examples: When I was about 10 or 11, I was on a trip with my family, and I had left my comic books at home (American ones; Batman, Spiderman, Thor, etc.) So before I got on the plane, I picked up a copy of Shounen Jump from the airport convenience store.
While on the plane I read it, and was really confused at first (I was reading it backwards, and the stories were really weird.) But once I read it right and began to see the appeal of the characters, I was very interested.
And now I read asian comics.

Another instance is how I discovered Silent Hill. My sister suggested I see the movie, but I didn't want to because I heard it was lame. She insisted I look up the trailer. I typed "silent hill" into google, and found the Silent Hill wiki. The monsters of the game intrigued me, so I picked up Silent Hill 1 & 2, and I fucking loved them. Granted, they made me piss my pants, but I forever love the Silent Hill series because of it. Afterwards when I saw the movie, I got to be all smug about it and ***** about how it didn't do the games justice XD

TL;DR -- I discovered manga and Silent Hill on accident. Have you ever picked up something in passing and then fell in love with it?
The band Death In June. Douglas Pierce is an inspiring musician.

Also, my girlfriend.

MysticToast

Jul 28, 2010
Midnight Crossroads said:
He put in Sideways, and he's been my favorite artist since that day.
Yeah.... I definitely read this wrong the first time and thought you were talking about some sort of sex position.

failing_banana

Dec 5, 2009
about 11 years ago, when i was a kid i decided to stay up all night, for a silly bet i had with my friends about not dying after midnight......... we were young and silly, anyway i was just watching cartoon network, and then toonami came on and then outlaw star came on around 11, and i just fell in love with the anime and still to this day i love the anime and other than my brother no one i know has ever heard of it :/ even my anime freak friends :L

Another more recent one was the bar i go to every time i go out at the weekends, my friends who at the time were underage, were looking for a bar/club to get into without id and we ended up going to this bar, it had a lovely atmosphere and i mean the drinks are a but more expensive than other places but they have a wide range of drinks and food, their potato wedges are to die for.

Chibz

Sep 12, 2008
DatCracker said:
Have you ever picked up something in passing and then fell in love with it?
Two stories.

1. I ended up reading Yu-gi-oh! The Shadow Games to see if it was as stupid/bad as the TV show we got. It had an infinitely better storyline, character development.

2. I accidentally bought Disgaea: Hour of Darkness instead of a different game I wanted for the PS2. Didn't read the box, or really look at it. Just grabbed at the game and left. Turned out it was an awesome game...

Uber Evil

Mar 4, 2009
Sjakie said:
Sex

yes, really!
Isn't non-consensual sex rape? Were you raped? Else you would have had to consent to it so it wouldn't have been on accident.
OT: I can't really think of anything.

Johnnyallstar

Feb 22, 2009
wootsniper said:
Sjakie said:
Sex

yes, really!
You discovered it by accident?
He probably discovered it much like I did. I was walking down the hall, minding my own business, when I tripped (this happens a LOT!) and as I did, my pants fell down, and I fell crotch first into the hot intern, and she happened to be wearing a mini skirt that was riding up as she bent over the copier machine. After 3 seconds of heaven, a sexual harassment lawsuit, and shame to this day, it was all worth it.

Totally by accident!