Have you ever found yourself addicted to a word?

DJDarque

Words
Aug 24, 2009
Sonic Doctor said:
Creator002 said:
I'm addicted to the German verb "schlafen". It means "to sleep". I just love the way it sounds.
Sehr gut!

I do remember schlafen, I took 4 years of German, but I don't remember much.
Haha same. All I remember of German I remember thanks to Rammstein.

Wollt ihr das bett in flammen sehen?

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
Until very recently I said "Fantastic" in lieu of "Great", "Awesome", etc.

However, a new word has taken over. It is however.

Tonythion

Aug 28, 2010
More of a phrase.
For the most part of my life when ever I saw something cool I would say "Bad to the bone."
Now I say "Niice" a lot and when I'm angry or I don't agree with you "Che."
Yeah I use those last two...A LOT.

Zenomorph said:
Personally my word addiction is "MAHOGONY"i love that word soo much MAHOGONY hehe
...*blank stare*...Ma...hogany...

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Tankichi said:
Scuba. I know its not a word but still. After hearing them say it repeatedly in Venture Bros i Started saying it myself.
I never got into watching Venture Bros. One of my friends watches it a lot. I do have a favor line though, it comes from the episode where the two young brothers were dressed up for something, like Halloween, and one of them was dressed as Batman, "I am the Bat! I am the night."

Sonic Doctor

Jan 9, 2010
DJDarque said:
Sonic Doctor said:
Creator002 said:
I'm addicted to the German verb "schlafen". It means "to sleep". I just love the way it sounds.
Sehr gut!

I do remember schlafen, I took 4 years of German, but I don't remember much.
Haha same. All I remember of German I remember thanks to Rammstein.

Wollt ihr das bett in flammen sehen?
I just remember simple phrases, colors, numbers, and curses. My brother knows more than me, my favorite thing he told me how he wonders how the soda "Sierra Mist", would sell in Germany because, roughly translated, it means, "Molten Manure".

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Sonic Doctor said:
CrystalShadow said:
I have definitely had periods where I repeatedly blurt out random words with no context.

There were a few of them, but it always seems to come back to 'potato' more so than anything else.
I used to do that a lot. Now I just do it when I am alone.

More made up words than real ones. I can't think of any at the moment, because it is only when I am not thinking about them that they come out. I sometimes chant in nonsense when I am alone, it is actually a basis of the new language I am creating for a fantasy book I am writing. My creative writing professor said it sounds like Gaelic, but I have never seen or read Gaelic in my life.
Lol. That's an interesting one too. I've done that a few times, but usually with a little more intent behind it. stuff like 'potato' in my case really just is random.

As for it sounding like Gaelic, he might not mean as in actual recognisable words, but just in terms of the kind of sounds you make, and the structure of your words.

I've heard enough languages to construct gibberish that sounds vaguely like English, German, Dutch, French, Italian, Spanish, Chinese, Japanese...

If you're doing it on purpose it's possible by paying attention to the vowel and consonant sounds used. That, more than anything else will determine if a made up word sounds like a particular language.

Sonic Doctor

Jan 9, 2010
Meestor Pickle said:
That's because all words in German sound cool. :)
My creative writing professor said that if you want to convey you are angry, talk in German. It is a very guttural language.

Lalalarzi

Jun 5, 2009
I love words with 'z's in them. Shazam, huzza and zetta are pretty awesome. My fave atm is probably 'shizizle'. Not really a word but some guys name on yahoo answers.

Sonic Doctor

Jan 9, 2010
CrystalShadow said:
Lol. That's an interesting one too. I've done that a few times, but usually with a little more intent behind it. stuff like 'potato' in my case really just is random.

As for it sounding like Gaelic, he might not mean as in actual recognisable words, but just in terms of the kind of sounds you make, and the structure of your words.

I've heard enough languages to construct gibberish that sounds vaguely like English, German, Dutch, French, Italian, Spanish, Chinese, Japanese...

If you're doing it on purpose it's possible by paying attention to the vowel and consonant sounds used. That, more than anything else will determine if a made up word sounds like a particular language.
I didn't think he was thinking that I was copying Gaelic, I knew he meant sound. I meant that I don't think I have ever heard what Gaelic sounds like.

On the on purpose part, when I am creating words for my language, I just think of the word I want to be the literal translation of the made up word, and then I just think of a new set of letters that fit together that sound appropriate.

I'll give some small examples for the language I am creating:

Evil = Kirapore , this is in relation to "Pore" which means "darkness" and "Kira" which means "great". So in a straight translational, kirapore means "Great-darkness".

Don't ask me how I come up with this stuff; it just falls out of my head.

Sonic Doctor

Jan 9, 2010
Tankichi said:
Sonic Doctor said:
Tankichi said:
Scuba. I know its not a word but still. After hearing them say it repeatedly in Venture Bros i Started saying it myself.
I never got into watching Venture Bros. One of my friends watches it a lot. I do have a favor line though, it comes from the episode where the two young brothers were dressed up for something, like Halloween, and one of them was dressed as Batman, "I am the Bat! I am the night."
Me and a Friend do the "I am the Batman" Constantly to each other. Never anyone else. Also we do Dude! and Buddy lol.
For a whole month after that, my friend constantly blurted out the Batman line.

Juven Ignus said:
I say bro at the end of my sentences a lot. I don't know why, but it just seems right.
Cool story bro.

Hmm, I don't think I have encountered any other people that use the word bro. Only on the internet, in movies, and television.

Throwitawaynow

Aug 29, 2010
Im addicted to writing indeed. I never use it in normal conversation, but online indeed is my go to word for everything.