Have you ever had player's remorse?

Mr F.

Jul 11, 2012
Sometimes... sometimes games can get to me.

Playing shogun 2 had this effect. Well, Fall of the Samurai. Its been a long time. Essentially, I was the most powerful (And most modernized) force on the map. Without a doubt. The island to the north (Cannot remember what it was called) had been dominated by a traditional power, all bows and whatnot. Not a single rifle to be seen.

I landed there with one of my modernized armies. I had several at the time, tooling around, destroying people on the mainland. Yet most of the people on the mainland at least had guns. At least they were trying.

At least they could fight back.

The battles in the north... They were different. Thousands would die without me taking casualties. My armies were static in nature, just modernized infantry backed up with gattling guns and artillery. At first it was awesome. You know, all "Last Samurai" and it was... Fun to watch the spearmen charge in slow motion.

Slowly that began to change. It stopped feeling like the last samurai and started to feel horrible. They did not stand a chance. They were, quite simply, being slaughtered. I began to feel sorry for them. I began to root for them.

And, Ultimately, when their nation was defeated and they all lay dead on the field, I quit Fall of the Samurai. It is one of the few games that made me feel guilty.

Other then that (Seriously, it started to feel more like genocide then war. Three or four full stacks would get slaughtered. The only time I took any casualties was when I ran out of bullets.) I have never really felt guilty. I mostly play strategy games where you can be distanced from the reality of things. And although I tell little stories in my head sometimes about what is going on (Used to write, I keep getting tempted by booting up an AAR), usually I am the 'Good' guy (Bar in my current Empire game where I am most certainly being the bad guy).

I am trying to think of other things that have made me guilty in gaming. The only other example I can come up with is from another Total War game. As Russia (Novgorod.) I conquered my way into the Holy Land. I actually remember thinking "If I just exterminate every city I take things will be so much easier, they will be easier to control".

It was only after I took Jerusalem that I realised I was committing genocide to make life marginally easier.

Karfroogle

Aug 22, 2012
Jodah said:
Any time I kill a dog in a game. Even in a shooter or something where they are trying to eat my face off. If it's a wolf, no problem, but a dog makes me feel bad.
I'm the same. I feel terrible after I kill a dog. It might be the sound they make.

Oct 2, 2012
tippy2k2 said:
I've never done it as a moral choice (I'm such a wuss; I avoid shooting cops when I can in GTA) but I have felt bad about actions during game-play due to normal actions.

VALKYRIA CHRONICLES:
One of my primary scouts was a dancer. I pushed her too far ahead of the group, which got her killed. Here was her death quote:

"Wow, my... My body feels so light... I feel like... I could dance like... a swan..."

...FUCK THAT! THERE IS NO WAY IN HELL I'M LETTING YOU DIE FRESSIA!!! YOU'RE GOING TO DANCE AGAIN DAMN IT!!!

Needless to say, I reloaded immediately even though that goes against just about every fiber of my being when it comes to tactic games ('you make a mistake; you live with the mistake' has always been my tactic-game ways). I swore that if I made a mistake like that again, I HAVE to live with it...I was the most careful commander ever after that with zero deaths!

MASS EFFECT 3
This is a bit more of a cop-out on my part but it's one of the very few times that I've felt bad about something that didn't affect anything game-play wise.

Miranda (my honey-pie from ME2) was asking if there was still a future for us. I, being the emotionally confused Shepard as Ashley has now come back, said that I wasn't sure. I didn't realize that what Shepard was going to say was "Fuck that sugar-tits, I'm outtie. Keep the kid." (probably not exactly what he said...). When Miranda turned around, stating that it was OK but you could see the tears in her eyes...

Yup, another reload.
Same thing happened to me in ME3. In the first game I romanced Liara (I liked the naive bookish personality) but then she wasn't really around in ME2. For some reason I thought that she wouldn't be returning in 3 so I romanced Tali (Garrus for FemShep). Then ME3 rolls around and Liara goes all "I know you and Tali/Garrus got close" etc and asked if I wanted to be with her or the other one.

I felt horrible no matter which one I chose :(

Oct 2, 2012
Smeggs said:
AntiChri5 said:
I'll double for Jack's Romance. I romanced her before I found out you could romance Tali. After the game ended I was just sort of screwing around and was like, "MANWHORE SHEPARD GONNA LAY ERRYBODY UP IN THIS SHIP!" This only a mere two hours or so after her tearful acceptance of Shepard's affection for her.

I felt like the biggest heel ever.

Also, got Thane killed on my first suicide mission.
"Hmm, they said that the tube is hot and humid, and we need someone whose good with tech to open that door...THANE likes hot, humid environments and is a master assassin, I'm sur he must be good at hacking stuff then, he's the perfect option!"
"Temperature is...somewhat pleasant."
"AWW YEAH, I CHOSE RIGHT!"
*Thane shot in face*

I'm sure there are plenty more I'll remember and then be all, "OH RIGHT, THAT TIME..."
Thane doesn't like humid though. He prefers dry, humidity is whats causing his Keplars syndrome. Poor Thane :(

SilvanTyl

Dec 8, 2009
In Metal Gear 3, the part with The Sorrow was literally just the ghost of one guard screaming 'MY NECK! MY NEEEECK!', spraying blood everywhere. My only non-boss kill up to that point.

I'd cut his throat open, accidentally, while trying to knock him out. Not a proud moment in my tactical espionage career, and I suppose that was the game's way of rubbing it in my face.

Also, I tried playing Pokemon: Soul Silver with the Nuzlocke rules. Being forced to use a Hoppip - which I never, ever catch - watching it evolve and develop into a valuable member of my team over the course of the game, to the point where I could not have beaten Lance without that little guy.

Manly tears were shed when I had to condemn him to the PC's 'Dead Box'.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Killing Mordin in ME3 with my ruthless Shep made me sad, it wasn't just killing him it was the way he died. After getting shot in the back he slowly died crawling desperately to try and prevent the genophage cure being destroyed.

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
JayDig said:
Fallout 3 spoilers.

Even worse is when you do what you think is the right thing, and end up regretting it.

In Fallout 3 I convinced the safe and rich residents of Tenpenny Tower to allow a group of ghouls to immigrate from their nearby squalid subway station instead of killing them.

Sure, ghouls are nasty radiation victims slowing going mad over their extended lifetimes, but they're currently still reasoning humans, so I took the peaceful route and brought them to live in the safety of the tower.

I thought I had struck a blow against post-apocalyptic poverty and bigotry, but when I returned to the tower a few days later, the ghouls had killed everyone, tossed the cadavers in the basement and were now nonchalantly going about their business in their new home.

So.. I killed them all in regret feuled rage.
Dude, everyone did. Now I just cap that guy in the head right outside the tower when I first arrive.

Seriously, screw that guy.

Aside from that:
Rakata Prime. Zaalbar and Mission. Evil option. You sick bastard.

Mortal Kombat 9. Helping Scorpion win against and kill Sub Zero. It was story related, but I felt bad afterwards, knowing I'd helped commit a soul to torture and brainwashing to serve a cause he'd once fought against.

Being a dick to the scared people in AVP 2 and pushing them around for the lols. Okay, as a xenomorph you're not supposed to feel bad, but something about me just feels bad when I toy with people, and the poor scientists, cowering in fear and praying to Jesus felt really pitiful in a way.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
I'm having a hard time thinking of any instances of this, but the Companion Cube in Portal and any kind of dog or familiar I tend to feel bad about. But generally, I don't make decisions I'm going to regret and/or don't care enough about the characters. Dragon's Dogma for instance, when you have to choose whether or not to kill this guy who's with Salvation, and it's completely arbitrary whether you kill him or not, I killed him all of my 3 playthroughs and felt nothing. I don't know if it's my lack of emotion or the game not doing a good enough job of presenting characters I can care about, but I rarely regret my choices. Maybe Fire Emblem would have done it if I hadn't meticulously made sure no-one died. Mass Effect 2 had a few dialogue instances where I would pick an option expecting Shepard to use a bit of tact and instead he says something absolutely tactless but then I feel more frustrated at the game. For the record, went after Vido and didn't regret that. Their fault for not having fire extinguishers.

Oh wait, Skyrim. Long time ago now, but Dark Brotherhood, the Shattershields(?), I did the optional part of that contract. That came back to bite me a little when I heard about the aftermath.

And FTL, actually. I feel bad whenever someone I named at the beginning dies. Especially Rocks and Engi. And that's sort of a choice because they die due to my failure as commander.

Gavmando

Feb 3, 2009
Every time I kill an animal in Assassins Creed 3. I feel really bad. I look away and keep hitting B so that I dont have to see the skinning cut scene.
I especially feel bad when I kill a beaver. Those poor little bastards cant run fast enough to get away, and they make the most heart wrenching sound of fear. I feel so bad about it. :'(

lycanthrope008

Aug 24, 2010
aceman67 said:
When they announced that SWTOR was going free-to-play, I lost all will to play the game.

I was a GM of a 600 member guild and I up and left... kinda scared to log in on the 15th and see whats happened to the guild...
SWTOR during the trooper story you can save other soldiers in a prison or save special operative I chose to save the spec officer at first but when I saw all of the people died I canceled the cutscene and chose the other soldiers

Also anything related to mass effect 2 during my first play through I lost mordin

uchytjes

Mar 19, 2011
pretty much anytime I actually stop and think "y'know what? if this was real, most of these guys i'm killing have a family at home or something and are just trying to fight for what they think is right..." but then I usually just continue on.

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
The first time I harvested a Little Sister in Bioshock I felt like such a scumbag that I've never done it again, even after multiple playthroughs of both games.

FrozenCones

Dec 31, 2009
Jodah said:
Any time I kill a dog in a game. Even in a shooter or something where they are trying to eat my face off. If it's a wolf, no problem, but a dog makes me feel bad.
I have to agree with you there. I had a traumatic moment the other day when I was playing Dishonored and a guard dog walked over a spring razor. I sat there for a good 10mins fucking mortified.

Dr. Seward

Nov 15, 2012
One of the most compelling moral dilemmas I've witnessed occurs in Knights of the Old Republic II, especially if one has followed the plot up to that point:
The first point is, that Revan is not actually evil. Once you find out the whole story, it's quite clear that he was trying to strengthen the Republic, in order to combat the true Sith threat. You learn that he avoided destroying significant military facilities, and used his fleet to create "wounds in the Force", which would obstruct the oncoming Sith advance. Furthermore, the Jedi who followed him did so willingly, opposing their masters' order to take no action, and Jedi philosophy is all about free will and judgement.

Jedi masters in KotOR are always too eager to remark that their warnings have been vindicated by the fact that Revan turned to the Dark, but you can't help imagining the alternative: the Republic's defenses hampered by the Mandalorians, both sides weakened by the war, and the true Sith taking them by storm.
It is quite possible that Revan was the lesser of two evils, and that he bore this burden alone.

Which makes the Jedi Exile, who sacrificed so much of him/herself in order to create the largest "wound" in Malachor V, quite the noble and tragic hero.

And then, in KotOR 2, you meet the council members, one by one, and those preachers of inaction have now gone to hiding.
You speak to them, in order to incite them to act against a new danger, and all that most of them do, is to idly moralise and harshly patronise you because you acted when the time was due.
And yet you remember that, for all their pacifism, they weren't particularly reluctant to completely brain-wipe Revan, denying him his will and memories, and subsequently try to "re-educate" him in their ways. Or sever the Exile's connection to the force, forcing him/her to live their whole life as a broken being.

And you may either keep a stiff upper lip and suffer their unjustified words, or kill them for the cowardly hypocrites they have become.

I was standing petrified in front of my options, cause I couldn't see any I would not regret later.
...And this is how it's done. This dilemma is amazingly crafted as a story element, as it pits your sense of goodness against your sense of justice.
There's no obvious "good" or "evil" option, and none that can be chosen without regrets.
And it brings KotOR2's main theme of the exploration of what good and evil, active and passive, balance and imbalance, really are, to a triumphant climax.

It makes almost any other one found in gaming (which nearly always follow the pattern of "good act and smaller/ later reward vs. evil act and larger/ immediate reward"), seem childlike and shallow in comparison.

That moment. [http://youtu.be/lts7kFztkvw?t=6m1s]

Furbyz

Oct 12, 2009
370999 said:
A couple

In Tales of Symphonia
Doing the Kratos route, meaning that Zelos dies. You spend so much with your group, you get a feel for the relations between them. Zelos is a perveryt but he's your pervert, he can be really fuuny and smart. And it ends with him betraying the party and getting cut down. And he knows that is going to happen, his actions being suicidal due to his self-loathing.

Fallout: New Vegas
Selling Arcade into slavery. That is just awful. And destroying the doll of that girl in the Legion camp. It's just pointless dickishness. You don't get any material reward (you do get Legion rep) so it's just pure maloevolence
What makes the destroying the little girl's doll even worse to me is that you have to kill several of that guys dogs to get the doll in the first place. And that changes the situation from "I'm evilly ripping up your dolly, little girl! Muahhahahahah" to "I beat 4 vicious dogs to death with my bare hands just for the opportunity of destroying the only thing you love."

I find the latter to be so much worse.

In New Vegas, I had a good bit of remorse for convincing Veronica to leave the BoS. I wasn't expecting her to be essentially exiled from her family permanently. Then some of them go rogue and hunt us down and slaughter the Follower doctors, which is effectively killing the probable dozens if not hundreds they would have collectively saved over the course of their lives...

I don't know maybe I take Fallout to seriously. It's hardly a game to me so much as a place. I've got non-stop remorse all over those games. Perhaps I is a softie?

botobeno

Jan 20, 2010
Alot of Postal 2. It's one thing to kill respawning civilians in the streets in various games but breaking into their houses and doing things involving fire and peeing takes it to a whole new level. It was mostly the burned people crawling around in agony. One of the only sandbox games where i started to care about the civilians and for the most part didnt hurt them without reason after a few hours of playing.

The game just allows to you do things that eventually made me feel bad about my choice of actions. Example, first or one of the first missions is 'pick up milk'. I opted to go in through the window and start killing all his wifes/daughters/females. They do run at you with weapons but i also broke into their house. There was no reason at all for that, it's a shop, the guy is totally willing to sell the milk to you. Other times i doused the exit in gasoline and then went inside and threw a molotov. Later, on the complete opposite end of the loaded area i found a few burned victims of that. Something about them running that far on fire just made it seem so unnecessarily unfriendly. Or decapitating random strangers to play fetch with my stolen dog. That was a strange mixture of 'damn i'm such an asshole' and 'good doggy, you're the best'. Kinda felt bad for the silencer cats too if i kept them on too long without firing.