Have you ever had player's remorse?

Darmy647

Sep 28, 2012
Dark souls. The fair Lady of the daughters of chaos...just the whole god damn time i talked and joined her covenant. I felt like a horrible, horrible person....

Sunrider

Add a beat to normality
Nov 16, 2009
silver wolf009 said:
JayDig said:
Fallout 3 spoilers.

Even worse is when you do what you think is the right thing, and end up regretting it.

In Fallout 3 I convinced the safe and rich residents of Tenpenny Tower to allow a group of ghouls to immigrate from their nearby squalid subway station instead of killing them.

Sure, ghouls are nasty radiation victims slowing going mad over their extended lifetimes, but they're currently still reasoning humans, so I took the peaceful route and brought them to live in the safety of the tower.

I thought I had struck a blow against post-apocalyptic poverty and bigotry, but when I returned to the tower a few days later, the ghouls had killed everyone, tossed the cadavers in the basement and were now nonchalantly going about their business in their new home.

So.. I killed them all in regret feuled rage.
Dude, everyone did. Now I just cap that guy in the head right outside the tower when I first arrive.

Seriously, screw that guy.
Speak for yourself, man! I let those ghouls in with a smile on my face. Fuck those snide assholes in the tower! I also snuck a grenade into Mr. Tenpenny's pocket. Next time I visited, I stumbled over his corpse outside the walls behind the tower. I didn't even notice that he flew that far.

OT: I smiled my way through every single evil decision in Fallout 3, with the exception of...
...selling poor Bumble to the slavers.
That part broke my heart.

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
kman123 said:
After the pivotal point in Spec Ops: The Line everything I did was laced with regret and remorse.

And yet I kept on playing.
Ditto. I did not feel at all good about myself after the end of that game.

herbortamus

Aug 25, 2011
Like some others have said, KOTOR was hard to play through evil:
I felt really bad about being mean to the Wookies on Kashyyyk.

The worst thing I have ever done though was in Oblivion:
One of the daedric shrine quests required you to find and kill a unicorn. The ONLY unicorn in the game! I couldn't do it. Especially when I found out that I could ride it.

Well, one day I decided I wanted to complete the quest, but I still couldn't do it. So I brought my horse from the DB (Shadowmere?) who was a total beast. I let Shadowmere kill the unicorn and I instantly felt horrible. How could I let the unicorn die!?!
I quickly loaded my last save and pretended it never happened.....But it still haunts me to this day.

srm79

Jan 31, 2010
SilverUchiha said:
Fallout 3, blowing up Megaton. This was during a second run through and I decided to go for bad Karma to let my frustrations out on the people of Megaton who pissed me off the first time around. But in doing so, I felt really bad for all the lives I took and opportunities I just let slip away.
This. After the gleeful delight of watching from the safety of Tenpenny Tower, I ran into Moira. I didn't realise it was possible to feel so guilty over a video game until that moment.

redmoretrout

Oct 27, 2011
The only time (and I mean that literally) I ever felt regret or remorse for a decision I made in game was during the Walking Dead. I won't post any spoilers, but god damn I love that game.

I usually play games as comically evil cartoonish villain, because moral "dilemmas" in games are usually so poorly done. But, in the walking dead I found myself actually acting like a human being and caring about the characters.

Avalanche91

Jan 8, 2009
MGS3 the death of the boss. In a nice touch, the cutscene wont end till you pull the trigger yourself. I felt like shit.

Shadow of the Colossus. Every fucking time, after an exhilirating bossfight you see a great ancient beast go down. And while one or two deserved it, the smaller one that was afraid of fire made me feel like shit. Had to push it of a cliff, scaring it with a torch, so its armor would break and reveal its weakspot. You jump on it and it desperatly tries to shake you off while you stab the weakspot.

Pokemon SoulSilver; nuzlocke rules. Every. Damn. Time.

IckleMissMayhem

Oct 18, 2009
tippy2k2 said:
MASS EFFECT 3
This is a bit more of a cop-out on my part but it's one of the very few times that I've felt bad about something that didn't affect anything game-play wise.

Miranda (my honey-pie from ME2) was asking if there was still a future for us. I, being the emotionally confused Shepard as Ashley has now come back, said that I wasn't sure. I didn't realize that what Shepard was going to say was "Fuck that sugar-tits, I'm outtie. Keep the kid." (probably not exactly what he said...). When Miranda turned around, stating that it was OK but you could see the tears in her eyes...

Yup, another reload.
Serves you right for not staying faithful to Ash! ;)

My ME3 "oopsie-RELOAD!!!!!" moment was being (unintentionally!) a bit too nice to Liara on the Citadel.
I had a similar moment in FFXIII-2, when I took Lightning up on her offer in New Bodhum (Whatever AF)...
At that point, I didn't know how dickish the ending was going to be, so in hindsight, I should have taken that as the real ending!!!

everythingbeeps

Sep 30, 2011
"remorse" is too strong a word for it. But yeah, I've made choices in games and instantly regretted them. In Borderlands 2 when you can give the pelts to either Claptrap or Hammerguy, I gave them to Claptrap simply because I wanted to see what he'd look like; it was amusing, but I missed out on the sniper rifle and Hammerguy seemed sad I didn't give them to him.

Then I thought "why the hell can't I just go out and kill more of those things and get more pelts and then they can BOTH have them?!?"

jhoroz

Mar 7, 2012
I rarely have player remorse, and the only time I might show mercy to a NPC is when they might possibly benefit in the future. Once they've outlived their usefulness, I put a bullet in their head and steal their loot. There are however a few exceptions to this. One "player remorse" that came in too late, (although I've never actually played the game, only seen the clip) is when you have to exterminate all those big foots in the "Undead Nightmare" DLC for Red Dead, because apparently they all eat babies, until you get to the last one and find out that they only eat shrubs and fruit, and you've been senselessly wiping out harmless creatures that didn't do anything to anyone. The last one begs you for a mercy kill, which makes it even worse.

The second one is killing Phalanx, the thirteenth colossus from SOTC. You feel bad because it's jaw dropping to look at it and it's also completely harmless, never once trying to attack you. It was like burning down the Mona Lisa.

Mike Fang

Mar 20, 2008
JayDig said:
Fallout 3 spoilers.

Even worse is when you do what you think is the right thing, and end up regretting it.

In Fallout 3 I convinced the safe and rich residents of Tenpenny Tower to allow a group of ghouls to immigrate from their nearby squalid subway station instead of killing them.

Sure, ghouls are nasty radiation victims slowing going mad over their extended lifetimes, but they're currently still reasoning humans, so I took the peaceful route and brought them to live in the safety of the tower.

I thought I had struck a blow against post-apocalyptic poverty and bigotry, but when I returned to the tower a few days later, the ghouls had killed everyone, tossed the cadavers in the basement and were now nonchalantly going about their business in their new home.

So.. I killed them all in regret feuled rage.
Oh God, I remember that part now! I did the same thing; I'd sympathized with the ghouls in Fallout, feeling bad they were treated like crap just because of how they looked. So I also convinced the tower to take them in. After the ghouls moved in, I checked in and saw them at first living well side-by-side with the other residents...but when I looked for Roarke, I found him in Tenpenny's penthouse. There was a bloodstain on the wall and a trail leading to the bathroom tub. I ask Roarke what happened and he gives me a bad lie about him and Tenpenny having a disagreement, and then the latter having an accident. Well, I don't like the fact Roarke resorted to violence, but Tenpenny -had- been a bigot, so I figured Tenpenny must have threatened Roarke and the ghouls in some way, but Roarke had been quicker on the draw. I mean hell, Tenpenny had openly admitted to sniping ghouls from his balcony for sport, so I wouldn't have put it past him. Still, it made me a bit uneasy.

Then, one day I'm traveling the wastes with my radio on, and I hear Three Dog say that the ghouls have taken up residence in the tower "and it only took the wholesale slaughter of every person in there." One word popped into my head. "WHAT?!" I immediately made a beeline for the tower. When I got there, I found only the ghouls, and when I asked Roarke about it, He said the humans all decided to just leave on their own, but I didn't buy it for a second.

I didn't find the bodies in the basement, but I knew Three Dog well enough that he probably didn't make such accusations lightly. While I didn't massacre the entire ghoul population, I did leave with a sad sense of defeat and failure that in spite of my efforts, some people just can't learn to get along.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
One of the Daedric quests in Skyrim that forces you to choose between killing a dog or returning a weapon. I made the choice to kill the dog which made me feel horrible and then I found out that the weapon wasn't even the fucking Daedric artifact I needed for the trophy; instead I was supposed to show clemency despite almost all other Daedric quests forcing you to do horrible things.

It was an utter dick move from a design point of view, but I felt even worse that I'd killed a dog for no reason.

BeanDelphiki

Feb 1, 2011
I had the same problem with the blowing up of Megaton in FO3 that many people did - I frankly couldn't stomach it. The first time I tried to play through the game, I started as basically neutral and went for the house in Megaton, but my game screwed up. So I started over, as a good character. That's the game I've put the most time into, and I feel good about most of my game decisions, but I've occasionally had moments of petty frustration that I couldn't just kill annoying people in Megaton.

So I recently started an evil game. I had no trouble stealing, and was only slightly queasy about the cold-blooded murder of people for caps. I've already had the Megaton house, so I thought that in the interest of truly doing a different game, I'd blow up Megaton. And it was pretty. But then I went to the ruins and felt so, so sick just looking at them. I reloaded from a waaaay earlier save and lost a ton of progress. I reasoned, though, that blowing up Megaton wasn't so much "evil" as it was "stupid and self-defeating" when there's so many people in Megaton to rob.

Another moment, actually early on in my "good" game: since I wasn't stealing much and hadn't completed too many quests yet, I was constantly struggling for caps. I naively decided that Crazy Wolfgang was the least valuable merchant - he just has junk, right? I can find junk myself, right? - so I killed him out in the wastes for his caps, inventory and roving trader outfit. I felt bad when his brahmin started to freak out, so I tried hard to kill it and eliminate the only witness. Except the stupid thing was so hard to kill that I was running out of ammo trying. So I walked away and left it.

Much later - long after I'd lost a save before that murder - I discovered the brahmin waiting in the square at Canterbury Commons for his owner that was never coming back. The worst part was how everyone in the Commons was kind to me, not having witnessed the brutal murder. Only the one silent witness, placidly standing there every time I visited. I could even use the brahmin to store some of my stuff when I was traveling that corner of the map. Oh god, so awful.

And finally, Heavy Rain. I spent a solid 20 minutes trying to talk a guy into putting a gun down, and then panicked when I saw him reach into his coat for something, and shot him instantly. When the object turned out to be a crucifix and not a weapon, I turned the game off because I couldn't handle the fact that I'd just shot an unarmed man because I'd thought he might have a gun. I spent a long time thinking about what that might have said about me, and if I could have done anything differently.