Have you ever had to turn a games music off because it was so bad?

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
But...but...Nier's music was awesome!

Bayonetta abused the hell out of 'fly me to the moon', I can't hear that song anymore without thinking of that game, and twitch. I didn't turn it off so much as I ignored it, I was too busy trying not to get my ass handed to me.

The only time I ever muted anything, wasn't music, but that damn Oracle from God of War because she was screaming at me to hurry, fuck you lady, is it okay with you for me to figure this puzzle out to save you, is it okay?!

Nerfherder17

May 16, 2011
turn it off on a lot of games anyway to listen to my own music, even games with good soundtracks, like oblivion or vice city. radio on saints row 2 was kinda shit.

Bleedingskye

Mar 19, 2011
I agree, DA2 soundtrack did put me off. Bayonetta totally ruined "Fly me to the moon."
Best music tho...Fallout 3 with the radio on, loved those tracks

bullman422

Feb 22, 2011
Fallout: New Vegas - Granted even Fallout 3's soundtrack could get repetitive and boring over time, but in New Vegas's case the music was even less interesting and somewhat more annoying hence forcing me to turn it off within hours of playing never to turn it back on again.

Enchanted Arms - Rarely have I ever encountered Orchestra music so half-assed done and boring as if they created it on the fly. The worst track was the battle music which of course obviously got the most play. Over and Over again....

Strixvaliano

Feb 8, 2011
When I used to play WoW I had to turn the sound off altogether... the music and sound effects got annoying after so many years. I supplemented the game with my own playlists though and became damn good at finding stealth players without the warning sound when they get to close.

Ah, someone up above had to point out Birthday Cake from JSRF... that song made me want to rupture my ear drums with a dental pick so I wouldn't have to hear it anymore.

Mozared

Mar 26, 2009
I've turned off the music in multiple games because I'd simply heard it too often, but I don't think I've ever really turned off game music because it was too terrible to listen to. The only thing that comes to mind is Pokémon, the gameboy games, played through an emulator on a PC. Especially the older games have such terrible looping midi's they'll hurt your ears coming from two big speakers. But I guess that barely counts.

Elemental

Apr 4, 2009
YES! Bayonetta, ARGH it was so god-awful I've actually enjoyed it more because I've turned off that crap!

XHolySmokesX

Sep 18, 2010
I used to play city of heroes, and i'd play with my music instead of the game music. Not becasue it was bad, just because there practically was no music, and the little music it had was practically a few seconds of awesome or background effects.
shame really, you expect lots of nice tasty tunes in a super hero game right???

Shilkanni

Mar 28, 2010
I turn off all game sounds 80% of the time, unless it seems integral to the gameplay.

I usually don't find sound effects enjoyable and would prefer to play my own music. I can't remember a time where I've specifically thought 'this music is intolerable' and had the music be the catalyst for me turning off the sound, it's usually sound effects.

Geek_DR

Dec 14, 2010
Burnout and most other arcade racing games for me. A lot of licensed music games actually.

With burnout there are always a few good/guilty pleasure tracks but I end up turning off 80% of the soundtrack (thank goodness for EA trax or any other game that lets you choose)

I don't really like to turn musical score off completely very much, as it make the game sterile (like turning off the score for a movie. It's more important than you think most of the time.)

Maybe it's just because my dad's a composer :p

ShakyFiend

Jun 10, 2009
Actually quite liked the Dragon Age 2 soundtrack as a nice rousing orchestral score really suits the game. But when you pause the action and the music continues being extremely dramatic over the pause screen it really gets on my thungas

Also WOW is the only MMO ive come across to do music well, mainly due to the vast amount of it and the excellent timing with which it plays.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Spore the music in that game is awful. I just turn it off and put on my own music. Spore is really fun to play with screamo music on :)

Kadoodle

Nov 2, 2010
Assassin's Creed 2 and Brotherhood. I got sick of hearing the same Latin prayer chanted opera style over and over.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Burnout 3 and Revenge, how does that music fit mach 10 driving while smashing people off the road? It was fairly irritating but some metal fixed that right up.

Thaliur

Jan 3, 2008
MurderousToaster said:
Thaliur said:
Starcraft.
Starcraft?

The first one or the second? Because SC2 has, quite literally, one of my favourite soundtracks, ever.

I understand, differing tastes and all, but how is this not awesome?
Seems like the music greatly improved in part 2. Still far behind KKND2 or the Reality Pump games in terms of atmosphere and mood, though.
Part 1 basically had some kind of background noise which was a little less awful if you played humans.

run_forrest_run

Dec 28, 2009
TheKruzdawg said:
Woodsey said:
Well, after realising SoT was by far the best one, they clearly tried to copy everything about the game, only they missed the very best thing about it and couldn't capture the rest of it very well at all.

Possibly the most cynical game I've ever played.
Is it even worth a rental? It does sound a bit lacking.
Because I was quite young when I played this I was never that bothered by the Prince going goth. It's certainly true that it lost the charm that made Sands of Time the best in the series but from a purely gameplay perspective it's better than its predecessor.....so yeah, It's worth buying.

Mistah Straightedge

Apr 13, 2011
In any RPG I turn the music off. I mean, If I'm a dark elf mage running through a forest at night, why would there be symphony music playing in my head? The same goes for Fallout. The radio music is understandable to a point but the random background music does not make me feel immersed in a game.

Even worse is when the game's music changes when there's an enemy nearby. Kinda takes any element of surprise away from the enemy sneaking up on you.