Have you ever met an authentic guy gamer

JezebelinHell

Dec 9, 2010
ninjastovall0 said:
No I was only asking GUYS if they had met GIRL gamers in real life basically(btw-some had some hadnt), granted my wording could have been better but then again others could have reframed from flaming me for 5 seconds to try to see what I meant.
It doesnt matter its been removed and now theres a thread based on THIS thread as well.
ninjastovall0 said:
Actually someone here at the escapist (a polite girl) answered my question in a private message.
I see some kind of contradiction here. You asked "GUYS if they had met GIRL gamers in real life" and yet some how "(a polite girl) answered my question in a private message." You weren't even asking the question of girls.
And I am gonna guess I am not such a polite girl for pointing this out along with the search bar overlook before.
Meh, I don't care.

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
Never considered Sims or Wow to be authentic gaming, perhaps you should have used the original mario and sonic games instead? ...or pacman?

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Ladette said:
CAPTCHA!: Sociology shmerv
Oh, man. I majored in Psychology in college and we have a little rivalry with the Sociology department. I wish I could go back in time and call those phonies all Sociology Shmervs!

May 5, 2010
Um...Yeah. This isn't really satire so much as...parody. And it's not as clever as you think it is.

I mean, this isn't as bad as the first guy ("authentic gamer"...seriously?) but really...This wasn't actually necessary in any way.

Jaime_Wolf

Jul 17, 2009
Azrael the Cat said:
In response to ninjastovall0's thread on girl gamers.

Have you ever met an authentic guy gamer? (has adequate background in gaming) and these are the qualifications/qualities for being authentic:
1. They didn't get into gaming because their friends were into it, or because their parents just bought them a console/PC. Basically like other gamers, they saw a game and just intuitively knew they would enjoy it, despite absolutely no social/common experience of it with friends to indicate it might be fun.
2. They actually play main titles like Sims and WoW that sell massive units and have online interaction (sorry CoD, Halo and other ultra-masculine space marine penis-fests, you're not real games).
3. Whatever they like they have substantial knowledge about its past, such as being able to expain in detail the market circumstances that led Origin to agreeing to the EA takeover, the histories of Interplay and SSI and can carry a conversation by adding their own points/knowledge/past.(example: if the XBox/PS2 is their first, they probably can't).
4. They're willing to talk about gaming in public, even when they are trying to pick up a good looking girl who clearly isn't into gaming at a party, and even if most of the people in the conversation aren't actually interest in gaming.

I ask this because the guy that posted this thread: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.262773-Authentic-girl-gamer can't tell the difference between his personal limited experience of gaming (seriously, it seems like he hasn't even been gaming for 20 years yet - OBVIOUSLY he doesn't have the same experiences that I have when I was cranking through the Origin games in the 80s, which makes him less hardcore and, by his reasoning, obviously not a gamer...) and 'being a gamer'.
This is approximately my favourite thread ever.

eatenbyagrue

Dec 25, 2008
Wow. This is just. Wow.

I don't want to comment, because honestly. If everyone was an "authentic guy gamer" like OP wants, all of us who play games would be classified as what could charitably be "socially retarded man-children"

Stillve

Sep 19, 2009
eatenbyagrue said:
Wow. This is just. Wow.

I don't want to comment, because honestly. If everyone was an "authentic guy gamer" like OP wants, all of us who play games would be classified as what could charitably be "socially retarded man-children"
Bro, look a bit closer will you.
A lot of people don't seem to get the OP's point, which was to mock a dude that made a thread almost identical to this but about 'authentic girl gamers'.
This is satire, the main difference between this thread and the other one, in which the OP was serious about standards like these.

eatenbyagrue

Dec 25, 2008
Sirensomn said:
eatenbyagrue said:
Wow. This is just. Wow.

Bro, look a bit closer will you.
A lot of people don't seem to get the OP's point, which was to mock a dude that made a thread almost identical to this but about 'authentic girl gamers'.
This is satire, the main difference between this thread and the other one, in which the OP was serious about standards like these.
Oh. Oh dear. I feel like a total jackass now.

Macrobstar

Apr 28, 2010
FieryTrainwreck said:
Seriously, why do people work so hard to misunderstand other people on the internet? It was exceedingly obvious what the guy meant, and yet everyone lambasted him for imprecise language. Semantics hounds can grind every discussion to a crashing halt if you let them, and that's apparently the direction we've gone here.

Edit: also, entirely unbelievably juxtaposition is probably the shittiest form of satire.
This, I agree with you completely person on the internet, the first guy was obviously asking a relatively simple question but he just phrased it a bit stupidly

RN7

Oct 27, 2009
Hey! Thanks for describing me in 88% detail! But seriously though, your "authenticity" is more or less generalized stereotype to a slight extent.

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
Bwahahahaha! A+!

As an addendum, doesn't it seem like most guy gamers are just faking it to impress their girlfriends? It really seems like they're just smiling and nodding and have no clue what their girlfriends are talking about when they go on about the complex mechanics in WoW and the long history of adventure games when all those clueless boys really want to do is go back to their silly little shooty consoles? Hardy har har.

Rachel317

Nov 15, 2009
I saw that other thread and it pissed me off to no end. Surely "gamer" constitutes that you play SOME games? I mean, I play "in depth games" like he says, but I hate Halo (I think its a complete waste of time and doesn't do anything innovative or creative, as we've seen it all before), COD is just an excuse for guys to teabag each other (very mature behaviour)...but then I play Bayonetta, which is predominantly seen as a game for males, and it's one of my favourite games of all time.

So...his ridiculous criterias are...ridiculous. You don't have to know all about gaming history to be a gamer. I doubt that guy does. When information of gang history is volunteered without the conversation warranting it, I just think the speaker is an asshole. It reeks of showing off and a superiority complex when people go on about this stuff. But, of course, being a male, he's the only gender allowed the "gamer" title and he plays "real" games. "Real" games that...he has categorised as such? Yeah, I'm inclined to believe that he's either just trolling, or is extremely close-minded.

Well done, OP. i like it when people put sexist idiots in their place. Excellent thread.

Joepow

Jan 10, 2011
lacktheknack said:
GiantRaven said:
My comment wasn't meant in even the vaguest sense of seriousness.

That's self-indulgent irony, then, because there's absolutely no evidence in your post of your intent. Making your post a failed satire of... a satire. Huh.
Actually the irony in his post was quite obvious.
But then again, irony is quite easy to miss on the internet, which is why it's so annoying when someone says "How could you miss the irony? It's SO obvious".

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
HAH!

This thread is an awesome response. I'm sad the original thread got taken off though, it was very funny. A sexist/elitist person digging himself further and further into a hole through many pages unable to explain his points, the perfect example of the internet I'll say :p

To the original "ninja" guy, I know what you were getting at, but the way you worded your posts just came off in extremely poor taste, especially as it's ridiculous to divide games up like that and consider them "not real games".

There are two things I think of when I think of a "Hardcore Gamer".

1. A guy trying to finish Battletoads with one hand, while playing Ultima IV with his feet.

2. Some frat boy loudly paying out people who play Jrpg's while talking about how much he can bench press.

Both of those things are equally full of stupidity. So can everybody stop with this Casual vs. Hardcore nonsense? We're gamers. If you try to talk about who's authentic etc. it shows how much you've missed the point of gaming culture and it's history.

Good show OP.

thedeathscythe

Aug 6, 2010
This isn't really a good parody. I was actually looking forward to an intelligently written counter thread to sort of put the other one in it's place but I think you sort of rushed some parts and didn't really think out the whole post. Just saying it could have been a lot more clever.

OT: I know a lot of "authentic" guy gamers, I also know a couple "authentic" girl gamers, I don't know enough unfortunately, but there is a bunch of them. In fact, a quarter of my clan in Socom is composed of women, and they're good too, they're solid shooters, but they're also good teammates. I consider them all "authentic".

asam92

Oct 26, 2008
Seeing as this is a mirror thread to the other as you said, I am going to assume you are joking in which case, bravo
Yes, unfortunately I do know some guys like that, I called them Gamer Wannabees or Half Arsed Gamers.