Have you ever played through a game and completely missed a game play feature?

Thanatos5150

Apr 20, 2009
My first play through the Original Saints Row, I never knew you could get out of the car during the drug-running activity.

Buleet

Feb 21, 2010
Aiming through the freaking sights in Bioshock.
I played through the entire game twice before discovering that there are sights.
As i was a gun-focused player this made me feel stupid.

syndicate

Feb 9, 2012
As for me, well I had no idea you could choke people from behind on Metal Gear Solid 1, which could have saved me a lot of effort. As for MGS2, don't even go there, I was young and might as well been playing it with only the left analog stick. I missed every gameplay feature that was non essential.

malestrithe said:
First time I played Resident Evil 4, I walked everywhere. I was after I defeated the final boss that I realized that I could run.

Wow, poor you. I know someone who had no idea what the attache cases were, so he spent the whole game with the smallest item storage.

Sep 13, 2009
Almost, I got through 2 thirds of Ico before discovering that you can swing on chains. Of course this was only after spending almost 2 hours trying to solve a puzzle where you couldn't jump off of them far enough in the right direction

Seydaman

Nov 21, 2008
I played a warrior in WoW to 60 without getting defensive stance
Back in Vanilla
Boy was that funny realizing it.

Nothing else springs to mind.

Burn2Feel

Jan 20, 2010
Battlefield 3's fire mode option. I was spraying and praying for at least a month before I figured out that pressing down changed it to single or burst...
That and the bipod option. I knew you could do it, but it took me around 50 hours until I figured out you needed 180 degrees of space to turn.

Barry93

Mar 5, 2009
Pressing one of the analog sticks during Dead Space showed you where to go. Didn't figure that out until the sequel.

Oct 10, 2011
i went through 2 whole playthroughs in ME2 before i found out you could get minerals from scanning planets. before that i was only able to get 1 upgrade per game by saving all the mineral boxes from missions

Selef

Nov 13, 2009
ME3, didn't learn till the final battle for earth that you could revive your squad mates without medigel.

I Have No Idea

Aug 5, 2011
Z of the Na said:
Mass Effect 2.

I was halfway through the suicide mission when I realized I could press "Back" on the Xbox 360 controller to holster my weapon. Not really useful in combat, but it surprised me nonetheless.
And I HATE how they took away that feature in ME3. Honestly, I feel like a complete idiot walking around with my gun pointed straight in front of me during during the entire course of a combat mission. "Hey, I killed all the guys! Can I put away my gun? No? Well then I guess I'll just walk around looking like Paranoid Joe, ready to shoot at absolutely anything.

Skoosh

Jun 19, 2009
I played through the vast majority of Golden Sun without running. Eventually near the end there's some moving sand you have to run across and I was completely stuck. I got so angry with the game and told my friend how it's stupid, and then he just held down B (or whatever, I don't remember) and zipped across. I was looking through the whole dungeon for some sort of switch or whatever to stop the sands before this, haha. Needless to say, this made the sequel a whole lot faster.

darkcalling

Sep 29, 2011
All I can think of is the quick save function in ME3. Accidentally hit the back button in the middle of a mission.

Never used it anyway. I save waaaaaay more often than I probably need to anyway just cuz I HATE autosave.

El Danny

Dec 7, 2008
Had no idea Liliana even existed on my first and second play-thoughs of Dragon Age: Origins.

El Danny

Dec 7, 2008
I Have No Idea said:
Z of the Na said:
Mass Effect 2.

I was halfway through the suicide mission when I realized I could press "Back" on the Xbox 360 controller to holster my weapon. Not really useful in combat, but it surprised me nonetheless.
And I HATE how they took away that feature in ME3. Honestly, I feel like a complete idiot walking around with my gun pointed straight in front of me during during the entire course of a combat mission. "Hey, I killed all the guys! Can I put away my gun? No? Well then I guess I'll just walk around looking like Paranoid Joe, ready to shoot at absolutely anything.
Hold B or X(I think).

HKFortyRevan

Sep 1, 2010
I was on my third Mass Effect playthrough before I realised the Mako cannon thing.

It also took me until my second Mass Effect 3 playthrough (and reading a GameFAQs post) that I realised you could re-map the "Y" power.

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
Completely missed the VATS system in Fallout: New Vegas. It wasn't until I saw my brother playing the game that I knew such a feature existed. Would have made those up-close combat situations much easier...

Mird

Nov 19, 2009
When I first played Oblivion, I managed to walk around for about half my playthrough not even realizing there was a map feature.