Have you ever played through a game and completely missed a game play feature?

Threx

Nov 9, 2009
My friend just asked me this on Facebook, and I want to see what you guys can come up with.

So, have you ever played through a game and completely missed a game play feature?

His example was: "I'm replaying Mass Effect 1 and I just learned that the vehicle has a canon and Right Bumper allows you to use abilities"

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
I finished played Spells of Gold without casting a single spell. And I know there were spells, but I couldn't any to buy. It turned out that you had to go to a temple and press Tab to see a list of spells. No button or real indication of that. I couldn't see anything like that in the manual either. I only found out because later I read a review that criticised the game for not making that obvious.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Oh I somehow didn't figure out how to change weapons or use powers during the whole of my first ME1 playthrough... I was a fucking retard when I was younger I assume. Pr0 pistol only run FTW!

And I never noticed the Pimp Stance in the first Dead Space so I got through the entire game with just the map. Not that hard considering it's pretty linear anyway. Though when you lose the waypoint for a while in DS2 i was quite happy about it since I could break out the map again!

Ordinaryundone

Oct 23, 2010
I completely forgot about squad orders outside of powers in Mass Effect 1 and 2

I didn't figure out how to switch to Military Grade ammo in Metro 2033 until the Amoebas.

I didn't realize until the very end of The Darkness that "reloading" your pistols actually completely discarded them (and whatever ammo you had left) for new ones. I knew their appearance and such changed, but I honestly thought it was just for show >__>. I was running out of ammo constantly due to compulsive reloading.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Mass effect 1 I did not even trip over any of the romance options, so I in essence had no lurve.

Is sort of odd how many of these are related to Mass effect.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
The ability to turn in midair and flip off pursuers in Mirror's Edge was found by happy accident on my tenth or eleventh playthrough.

Also, you can do an immediate 180 degree turn in Silent Hill 2 and 3 by pressing both sidesteps simultaneously, found on the second playthrough of 2 by scare-induced fit. SHEESH, THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN HANDY EARLIER.

ArkhamJester

Sep 30, 2010
I play Shin megaten devil survivor 1 twice, it wasn't until I played the sequel that I found out the first game had a skill pool of every skill I ever cracked. That stung a little...

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
The really long getting killed by a grapple animation in ME3 singleplayer were apparently quicktime events. I had no idea until I beat the game and played multiplayer.

DarthRiko

Apr 2, 2010
When I was younger and only had a Gamecube, I managed to play all the way through Starfox: Assault without jumping.

Yes, I actually thought you could not jump.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
In Metro 2033 I only realised after I had got to the last chapter that I could heal myself with medkits. I don?t know how I missed that; I?m pretty sure it dose tell you about them, I just forgot shortly after. They would have made some of the more difficult fights much easier.

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
My first time through Deus Ex I didn't know you could heal specific parts of your body with the medkits... so I was running around with 5% on every part of my body... ready to get insta killed by a stray bullet at any moment...<.<

BathorysGraveland

Dec 7, 2011
Yeah, when I was younger I used to play this old FPS called Blood. There was a certain enemy type that scared the shit out of me because I thought they were instant death. They were animated severed hands, influenced by Ash's hand in Evil Dead 2. I didn't know until years later that you could actually remove the hands from your throat when they attach themselves to you. Suddenly, they don't seem as scary anymore.

GimpyGimli

Mar 26, 2012
Dead Space uses X to quick heal...

My friend showed me after I beat the game on the highest difficulty!!

cryogeist

Apr 16, 2010
Skyrim: gone through 2 characters and finally figured on the third one that i could make iron bars and other things of that category...at first i thought that ore was for selling!
(man i felt stupid)

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
I completely forgot about the concept of enemy cards in Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories. I went through nearly the entire game without those. It wasn't very easy.

Death Carr

Less Than 3D
Mar 30, 2011
That LB sprints in Skyrim.
It took me 4 characters and owning the game since launch to find out that you can sprint.
Suddenly I can get to places faster :D