Have you ever played through a game and completely missed a game play feature?

Zyquux

Mar 18, 2010
El Danny said:
I Have No Idea said:
Z of the Na said:
Mass Effect 2.

I was halfway through the suicide mission when I realized I could press "Back" on the Xbox 360 controller to holster my weapon. Not really useful in combat, but it surprised me nonetheless.
And I HATE how they took away that feature in ME3. Honestly, I feel like a complete idiot walking around with my gun pointed straight in front of me during during the entire course of a combat mission. "Hey, I killed all the guys! Can I put away my gun? No? Well then I guess I'll just walk around looking like Paranoid Joe, ready to shoot at absolutely anything.
Hold B or X(I think).
Can't be (on the 360 version, anyway) because holding B is the Heavy Melee and holding X switches weapons. As far as I know, there is no way to holster your weapon.

Alon Doron

Mar 7, 2012
In Fallout 3, Fallout: New Vegas, and Skyrim I was totally unaware that I could sprint. I found out only when a friend told me.

How incredibly nice.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
Alon Doron said:
In Fallout 3, Fallout: New Vegas, and Skyrim I was totally unaware that I could sprint. I found out only when a friend told me.

How incredibly nice.
Fallout 3/NV don't have sprint

If they do I will

TheAmokz

Apr 10, 2011
Somehow, i managed to completely miss all the side missions in Valkyria Chronicles during my first playtrought.

BiggyShackleton said:
Holding A in Fallout 3 & NV allows to drink continuously.
You can do that? 300+ hours in Fallout 3 & NV and i never knew this...

Alon Doron

Mar 7, 2012
Altorin said:
Alon Doron said:

How incredibly nice.
Fallout 3/NV don't have sprint

If they do I will

Whoops. Apparently I've downloaded a sprint mod. So no, you can't sprint in NV or 3.

jacilon

Aug 8, 2011
I didnt know you could switch keyblades in kingdom hearts 2. I only found out on my 3rd play through. And after i had beaten Fallout 3 i realised you could fast travel. So much time, that could have been saved...

HouseOfSyn

Nov 25, 2011
BiggyShackleton said:
Shut. Up. I know it's not a big thing but still. I always thought sipping water was weird.

It took me till chapter 3 in Gears of War 2 to realise that the lancer could shoot AS WELL AS chainsaw things in half.

R0cklobster

Sep 1, 2008
It's not exactly a gameplay feature per se, but in No More Heroes, I didn't realise that i was playing the censored version with zero gore, and when I did eventually realise it the combat not feeling as good as I imagined it to be made much more sense.

Also, on my first run through of MGS3, I somehow thought you could only save when prompted via codec, not by going into codec and selecting save (LIKE A FUCKING GENIUS). Those were some long playthroughs.

Extragorey

Dec 24, 2010
In Skyrim on PC, it took a whole playthrough before I noticed you can zoom/rotate the models in the loading screens.
Also, I have a friend who played Skyrim for about 20 hours before I took pity on him and told him you could hotkey things in the favourites menu by pressing a number.

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
Being Able to constantly drink in Fallout 3.
Being able to switch ammo types in Fallout New Vegas.

Boomerism

Sep 27, 2011
Did an entire playthrough of Fallout 3 not knowing that caps were currency, but because it's roleplay I like to think my guy was part of "occupy whats left of wall street" we are the 99%... of the 5% which survived.

Dr Jones

Join the Bob Dylan Fangroup!
Jun 23, 2010
TestECull said:
Quicksave usually. Also, I do NOT use VATS in Fallout 3 or NV. I don't need it, the games aren't exactly difficult and I'm using a mouse-and-keyboard to play so using a crutch isn't necessary. Hell I don't even need armor!
Crank up the difficulty. You'd wish you had more AP then.

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
BiggyShackleton said:
What!?
natster43 said:
Being able to switch ammo types in Fallout New Vegas.
What!?!?

Also, holding down the button to open your Pip-Boy in Fallout: New Vegas turns it into a light.

Noswad

Mar 21, 2011
it took me a very long time to discover the secondary fire mode on the combine assault rifle in Half Life 2. Fun first time though, had no idea what had just happened, but a group of overwatch just disintegrated

BiggyShackleton said:
Jesus Christ, possible over 200 hours on that game, not a clue. I think you may have just stumbled on the least known fact in videogames.

Buffoon

Sep 21, 2008
I missed a hell of a lot in my first couple of playthroughs of Planescape: Torment, including one optional PC, and so, so much of the story. Of course, the game's designed like that, so I'm not too hard on myself.

Nyaliva

euclideanInsomniac
Sep 9, 2010
I probably have that I can't remember but I'm generally pretty scared of that happeneing so I pretty much go through everything with a fine tooth comb. However I continuously forget I have missiles in R&C: Crack in Time...

Broady Brio

Jun 28, 2009
Altorin said:
Broady Brio said:
In Fallout: New Vegas, I missed out on Caravan until my second playthrough.

Then I found out it's the biggest pile of shit, so never mind.
Caravan is the most broken game ever.

If you play it against shop keepers, they use their shop cap stockpile to play Caravan with

It's also stupidly easy if you build your deck with just 6s, 8s, 9s, 10s and Kings. Play your 10s, play kings on them, place 6s on those, and win. Alternatively, play 9s, Kings on those, then play 8s on top of those. It's stupidly easy to win at Caravan once you know how to play it.

So basically, buy everything, then play Caravan with them to get all of your money back, and then sell the stuff to vendors that don't play caravan for their caps.

Mind=blown?

Note that vendors who play Caravan (the courier guy in Primm, the NCR outpost lady, the Dinosaur Gift Shop guy in Novac) will only play a few games before the game realizes what the heck it's letting you do and they stop, so make sure those games count.
Tis why you play Ambassador Crocker. He's rich and has unlimited tries.