Have you left WoW and if so why.

Sir Bob

Jan 14, 2010
Too much grinding too little new content - You always end up going to same stuff day in day out over and over again. Got tired of it after clearing everything on heroic mode with no new content coming for another 5ish months (From the summer until Cata launch in December-ish(?))

Rippie

Sep 26, 2008
i kinda quit about 6 months ago, i was going on a 5 month trip to south america, and i decided to quit a month before, and i can't be arsed going back in. because it used to be very time consuming, and i saw most of the cata content and it din't realy appeal to me very much.

my irl friends still play and try to get me back, but i realy dont wan't to. i preffer watching movies or going outside. stuff i hardly ever did because i was playing games so much and mainly wow. i still game quite frequently tough.

to sum it all up, i got boored with wow and i preffer doing other things with my time.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Hmmmm... now where to start...
I had played WoW for the last month or so of Burning Crusade, all of Wrath of the Lich King, and for about 2 months of Cataclysm.
I raided for 95% of WotLK, and for about 3 hours of Cataclysm.

I left for these reasons (in no particular order):
- I ran out of the "new exciting content" after a month of questing and dungeon'ing
- My guild had split itself into two raid groups: The first being all the experienced players that got Cata early on, hit 85 quickly, and geared up together. The second being whoever they could get. I got stuck with the second group because Cata was released right when my finals started, so leveling was slow. The second group sucked really really badly. Two of the people besides me, in the 2nd group should have been in the first group, replacing other players that were not that good, but nope...
- New raids sucked balls. I remember the first time I raided the new stuff, I was supposed to read about the fights, but forgot and was lazy. So we get to the first boss after wiping to trash about 5 times (thanks Blizz, that wasn't 'fun' enough in Ulduar as it is...) and the RL explains the fight. I half-listen, as I'm whispering a friend of mine in the group, asking him for a TL;DR version of the fight "avoid this, hit this at this time, don't at this time, etc.". So the fight starts, everyone knowing the ins and outs of the fight, except me. Surprise surprise, I top dps by 6k, am the last person to die, and don't fuck up once. THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE REALLY HARD?!?! Also throw in the fact that my gear is pretty randomly gemmed, re-forged, not enchanted, while everyone else has better gear, knows their rotation (I hadn't gotten 100% used to new feral rotation) and etc. I was just so disgusted by everyone's lack of skill, and the lack of difficulty
- I watched a friend of mine raid through one of the longer raids, and every single boss mechanic that he went through, I had seen at some time in WotLK. Yes I know this could be said of BC and pre-BC for WotLK, but come ON. This is supposed to be the "new and exciting Cataclysm!"
- Everything that I enjoyed in WotLK got nerfed, streamlined, and noob-ified. Everything.
- Blizzard took a shit on my Feral DPS. Fuck you Blizzard, how dare you mess with Berzerk and bleed damage, YOU ARE THE ONES THAT MADE IT THAT WAY.
- Half the people that I played WoW for, that were either on my friend's list or my guild, quit WoW for reasons similar to mine. There were just so few people to have fun with anymore.
- Starcraft 2 came out. 'nuff said

TL;DR: The new shiny Cata was actually crap, I lost more and more reasons to play as time went on, and SC2 > WoW.

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
thejackyl said:
Madcat75 said:
1) It got boring
2) Too many idiots
I was in a guild simply because of friends of mine. Now, about 7 of the members had any semblance of basic intelligence (Staying OUT of the fire being a big part of Cata, don't ask me how no one seems to know that). And 7 good people can't carry another 3 or 18 morons through raids. I know, we tried.

I've actually quit multiple times, but I don't think I will be going back any time soon.

1st was same as this one, we had a solid 10-15 people, but we always had to fill the remaining slots with ANYONE (We didn't clear Naxx until our people had the gear from Flame Leviathan.)

2nd Quit after Ulduar, came back cause my friend needed someone to RaF him, so he had me make a new account. Ended up returning to the same guild (they now had about 20 people who knew how to play), played until ICC came out, and 75% of our good raiders quit, or joined other guilds. I quit again, since we couldn't kill Marrowgar

3rd quit, my friend who had me RaF with him, got into a guild that was clearing "Heroic" Lich King (which was a lie, he's just an idiot), I stayed until I got Shadowmourne, and quit until Cata came out. I was in such a good guild that even the Heroic versions of the encounters were one shot. It basically so boring since we started carrying peoples fresh 80's through, just for the extra challenge. We had the #2 Frost DK in the world (at the time) in our guild he pulled about 27k DPS on EVERY fight. I think our guild average DPS in a 25 man was over 200000.
I don't remember too well, was shortly after the Lich King fight was released.

4th and final time: Switched servers to play with my friends (again), Read the first paragraph.
I find it funny that if i had read this post 2 years back i wouldn't have understood a single word written in there hahahaha

I played for about 3 months but since i had no friends anywhere it got really boring really fast, the first dungeons were fun because everyone in my party was exploring and experiencing the same things than me, but then i tried higher lvl dungeons and got sick of queuing, waiting halve an hour, start, one dude finished one quest, got out, and left us one man short, waiting again for the queue etc etc... no one was "exploring" the dungeon they were just there to make some fast quest and got out... really infuriating.

Sarah Frazier

Dec 7, 2010
I quit in BC while the Lich King was just wishful thinking. The reasons I left are many, but here's a simplified list.

1) The RPers who weren't the kind that would fit right in with Goldshire were elitists and hyporcrites.

2) The few people who talked to me only did so because I was naive enough at the time to do hours of farming for something they want if they asked nicely.

3) Any time I wanted anything, the people listed in 2 were conveniently too busy already doing what I wanted to do or needed help in doing.

4) When I gave up on RP and turned to raiding, I had to put up with a lot of down-talking because I lacked leet gear and had a different spec.

5) Finally I just got tired of the repetitive grind, especially for rep, and for what? better gear to let you survive slightly better while grinding rep for the next group.

thirion1850

Aug 13, 2008
Sarah Frazier said:
I quit in BC while the Lich King was just wishful thinking. The reasons I left are many, but here's a simplified list.

1) The RPers who weren't the kind that would fit right in with Goldshire were elitists and hyporcrites.

2) The few people who talked to me only did so because I was naive enough at the time to do hours of farming for something they want if they asked nicely.

3) Any time I wanted anything, the people listed in 2 were conveniently too busy already doing what I wanted to do or needed help in doing.

4) When I gave up on RP and turned to raiding, I had to put up with a lot of down-talking because I lacked leet gear and had a different spec.

5) Finally I just got tired of the repetitive grind, especially for rep, and for what? better gear to let you survive slightly better while grinding rep for the next group.
Yes! You win. Everything you listed, aside maybe number 2. Christ can so many RPers be stuck-up snobs. I quit a few months before Cata my self.

Haratu

Sep 6, 2010
I had an extremelly well equipped warlock when i quit, but had to go due to:
-Lore was all destroyed
-Doing the same instance or raid repeatedly was pointless
-Found that most of the time I was just farming

Whoatemysupper

Aug 20, 2010
I played awhile ago before Cataclysm. Got bored at level 72 and quit. Now I have the free trial so I play when I want.

MetaKnight19

Jul 8, 2009
I left after a while simply because it got boring. I don't mind a bit of level grinding every now and then, I do plenty of that in Pokemon, and partying up with friends going on raids was fun. After a while though I just couldn't be bothered to play it anymore. It's certainly a good game, especially when playing with friends but for some reason it just didn't 'click' and being relegated to 'the guy who casts area-of-effect spells' got boring fast.

Ghostkai

Jun 14, 2008
Terrible players (skill wise)

Boring repeatitive content

Repeatedly nerfed content

That was 6 months ago. I haven't looked back. The biggest issue was just how mind numbingly boring it became. A shame.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Nope, never played it. Thought about giving it a try on a number of occasions, but never actually got around to it.

rednose1

Oct 11, 2009
Just got tired of the grind. I liked in BC how therre were plenty of raids, with more challenging skill requirements as you went (from Kara to Black Temple was a total of what, 6 raids?) Also liked walking around, decked out in my awesome raiding gear. Now everything is all the same, and so easy to get, it's not worth it.

Xaio30

Nov 24, 2010
The game became less about having fun and more about competing. What's why I quit.

NellNell

Feb 11, 2011
The game is now a snore fest. Cataclysm was going to change so many things and while it did, most were not for the better. PvP is a unbalanced mess that keeps spilling over into my PvE, and I'm sorry but two remade dungeons do not make a good patch.

Also I should not have to pay to go to my friends server or use the instance queue with and friend from a different server. This game is for you and your friends and if for some reason you two aren't on the same sever better fork over 25 bucks or start a new toon.

Oh and the worst of all. Seven bosses for the whole tier. Your... your joking right? Seven? But wait we get dailies! No Blizzard. Dailies are not a way to replace content. Its filler and should not replace raids, like oh say, Abyssal Maw.

So in short Blizzard is lazy and dead to me.

I do miss the game however. What it used to be and the leveling. I miss getting on my first toon and going from 1 to 80 and seeing Outlands and Northrend for the first time. To me end game just kinda sucks I guess.

Haagrum

May 3, 2010
I had a good group of people to run content with, a fair bit of free time, and I enjoyed the game because all of us made it fun. The social aspect of the game was far more of a drawcard over time - and yes, I know how that sounds.

Left because it's hard to study full-time, work part-time, treat the other half properly and participate in raids all at the same time. Still in touch with my old guildmates, despite being half a planet away from them.

I'm guessing a lot of people are in a similar boat (real life getting in the way), or waiting for The Old Republic, or simply having to cut back on luxuries and find that the subscription fee is an easy thing to cut.

J9387

Jan 24, 2008
Started WoW during late BC and quit during Lich King. Been sober a bit over two years now.

I quit for a few reasons.

1. The game itself felt pointless.

Prior to WoW, I'd spent a few years playing EVE Online. Both we're fun, but in WoW the crushing pointlessness of my actions was apparent, and it depressed me. I had no way of making a lasting mark on the game world and I realized that all the gear I'd be driving for in raids like Naxxramas and Sartharion's lair we're just going to be made obsolete by Ulduar, then ICC, then the next expansions, so on and so forth. There's no closure in WoW and MMO's in general, you cannot finish them like you can a regular video game, book, or movie. I personally relish the sense of closure that comes with finishing a good game or book. WoW didn't provide that.

2. It took a toll on my social life and health.

The lack of a pause button and the necessity to work with other people in the game means that as a side effect it became much harder to drag myself away from the computer screen when real life demanded that I must. Who has time to answer the door bell when you're raiding? I was skipping meals in favor of WoW, and when I did eat, it was something unhealthy that could be prepared quickly so I could get back to WoW ASAP. I was eschewing hanging out with friends on Friday nights to say up into the early morning hours to raid/grind/farm/whatever.

3. The actual fun is too far stretched out.

Raiding is fun. There is nothing quite like coordinating with 24 other people to take down a boss, and getting loot is always a wonderful feeling. However, waiting around while a raid is formed, doing dailies for gold, dealing with random people disconnecting and going AFK, and clearing trash is not fun. Lastly, actually getting my character to level 80 in order to raid was terrible. And I RAF'ed all the way to 60. So I had it pretty easy. Still hated every minute of it.

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
Played since day one of Vanilla. Quit a few months ago. It just wasn't floating my boat the way it used to.