Have you left WoW and if so why.

Candidus

Dec 17, 2009
Quit shortly after Cataclysm.

I despise anyone who logs into an RTS 2v2(+) multiplayer straight from the campaign, without practicing in skirmishes against the computer first. I think that if you put yourself in a situation where other people are going to depend on you to know what you're doing, and you *don't* yet know what you're doing, then you are a colossal ass-wipe who ought to STOP doing that.

Naturally, this feeling is carried into all other games and applies to me as well. Now, my problem with WoW, even in WOTLK, was that there is no dropless, 25% damage practice mode... but the difficulty scaled so well in WOTLK that I eventually got over my fear of becoming "that guy" and had a pretty successful raiding career; not quite chewing through all the hardest stuff (did firefighter and insane skills ToC10, failed heroic Arthas), but getting on the ladder easily enough- which is the crucial part.

In Cataclysm, the instances are too involved and too difficult for me to be willing to participate in without access to some kind of practice mode. I just refuse, it's that simple. I'm an extremely competent, sharp, intelligent player. I'm sure I could go very far. But I won't, because the scaling is garbage.

Don't even talk to me about: "well, you can read up on the bosses now and yo-blah blah blah". That's not good enough. I don't care how much of the meta-game you've read about, don't play a team pvp DoW2 match until you're thrashing the hardest computer without breaking a sweat. I don't care how much information Blizzard make available in some new interface window; it's no substitute for experience.

- Candid

Rusty pumpkin

Sep 25, 2009
After a few years, it got a little old. Asides from that, my guild sucked and disbanded to play rift, gearscore was more important than having common sense or intelligence, and I really needed a fresh start cause my server was terrible.

NuclearPenguin

Oct 29, 2009
Madcat75 said:
After seeing that WoW's subscriptions are down again I was wondering why have people left it.

I played for years but left because :-

1) It got boring
2) Too many idiots
3) It became more over Gearscore than it did about skill.

I did go back for a bit because Blizz offered me 7 free days, but even then I just couldn't get back into it (also everywhere I went in game was basically empty( even infront of the bank and AH in Ironforge which is normally packed)).

Please only answer if you have left WoW or have something constructive to say keep all the WoW hate away from here.
Stormwind is the new place to be.
Gearscore serves no purpose anymore
Its an MMO, theres gonna be idiots.
It got boring is a completely valid reason and you do not need more than that.

Salvatore Notarmaso

May 9, 2010
Internet is slow due to the fact I am overseas for a while
I got frustrated along with internet connection and got easily bored of doing instances.
Then I got into Demon's Souls
Then I saw Blade and Soul
Then started playing other games and realized, I missed out on allot of innovative games for PC and console

kalt_13

Veteran n00b
Sep 14, 2008
I quit coz I hate end game. Having to do one dungeon 20+ times so i can get one peice of gear so I can get into the next level of dungeons, no thanks. I was having fun due to the social aspect, but I decided that just wasn't enough.

Subwayeatn

Jan 28, 2011
I ran out of money. Last time i played i was 14, i played on my uncles account until he quite, so i had to pay. But i quickly ran out of money since i didn't (and still don't) have a job.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
I put in a few years. Quit as an endgame raider, I didn't show up for a lady vaish or whatever night, and you know? never logged in again.

GraveeKing

Nov 15, 2009
Played it for on and off for awhile, got to level 20 something then got bored of the grind-fest of all the quests.
Later on a played a... err 'private server' we'll call it. Anyways, the leveling was MUCH faster, of course it wasn't all technically legitimate but hey what the hell it boosted game-play for me a lot more. Then found myself at the highest level, and you know what? Turns out it's same ol' grind-fest of going through the same dungeons etc to get enough money (even with the boosted amount of money you received from quests) and at the top level it was all about rare items. I pretty much just shrugged it off and gave up at the point.

Never returned to it since and never will.

MetallicaRulez0

Aug 27, 2008
Jazzyjazz2323 said:
Blizzard fucked me so I said fuck them,Cata started off great and then turned out to be another lie..Go take your overnerfed bullshit somewhere else,I started playing WoW because it was fun and challenging now it's a walk in the park all about how much time you have to throw at something till you have the best loot.
Just to clarify: the top-end heroic raid content is the hardest that end-game has ever been in WoW. That section of the game has gotten progressively more difficult for years now. Heroic Ragnaros is likely the hardest boss in the history of WoW, or very close to it. The only thing that has become less challenging is solo content, but that was never challenging to begin with so I'm not sure where the rage is coming from.

I think most people have just become tired of the grind. WoW was interesting for years, but since late Wrath it has become predictable and repetitive. With each additional content patch, the new content feels less and less "new" and more and more "Wait a minute... I've seen this before!". That is inevitable with any game that stays alive for this many years without drastic changes.

Belaam

Nov 27, 2009
Played pre-BC. Got an Alliance to 60, a Horde to 60, and then went back to college to finish my degree and had a daughter, so quit as I had no free time.

Now I'm a teacher, got back on shortly before Cata. Play Friday nights in a group with my wife and a couple RL friends. Also play a lot during summer.

The school year is gearing up again, and I'm kinda contemplating closing my account until next summer, but waiting to see how much play we still get out of it.

Rorigon

Apr 14, 2011
I left when Cataclysm came out for a combination of reasons:

1.THE COMMUNITY. Easily one of the worst communities I've ever seen online; it ranks up there with /b/ imo.

2. Didn't like the direction they were taking the game. They completely changed the play style of my favorite class(my main was a Blood DPS Death Knight). Sure, I had an 80 Druid I enjoyed, but the whole thing kind of made me question whether I even wanted to continue playing if next expansion my class will become something even MORE unrecognizable from what I originally enjoyed playing.

3. This was the first time I'd actually been actively playing when an expansion came out, and it just felt Blizz was just arbitrarily raising the cap and saying "now you're going to be fighting elementals instead of undead." Expansions in EQ always felt like.... expansions. They felt like the world was being added to, with new items and quests and recipes and lands to discover. This just felt like them pulling the carrot away from me again.

So... yeah, those are the three main reasons I left.

Olorune

Jan 16, 2009
Raddra said:
Olorune said:
I just recently left in the middle of a subscription. I left because Blizzard still refuses to fix Shamans. I love shamans and always have. My main is an 85 Elemental/Enhance shaman named Zamah. I've played him since Wrath of the Lich King and since then, Blizzard has further neglected the shaman class to the point where playing one just feels like everyone else has an advantage. That's not the kind of game I want to play.
Another thing is how there is no real individuality!!! Walk around any city and you'll see every class wearing the same pieces of armor and using the same damn weapons. They might as well go ahead and re-name the game "World of Copy/Paste". And when they do finally release a new weapon or piece of armor, it's some janky, nonsensical piece of cobbled together garbage that poorly reflects the class that is stuck with wearing it because they HAVE to if they want to see anything other than what you get from the Dungeon Finder.

I feel like their development and art team just doesn't give a shit anymore, and I'm feelin' that way too...
These three points are mine also.
1, Shamans are like the red headed step child of the class lineup. They are my favorite class.. and to make it worse they took away my precious two handers (their talents for enhance need dual wielding). Despite the lore shamans like Cairne using a big two hander totem pole mace.
2, I am sick of the lack of appearance slots. They want everyone to look the same (completely unlike NPC's who look part of the lore, our characters look like clowns levelling up and then a copy paste ridiculous cartoon with giant flaming shoulderpads at max level)
3, With the motorbikes and login screens showing tauren and orcs flying on rockets I get the feeling the devs don't care about the lore or world feeling any more.
Wanna know what really burns my ass, though? The fact that they will never take any of these things into consideration and make the needed changes. I'm pretty sure they rather continue to fuck the game and release something else to cover their shame.

ASan83

Mar 11, 2011
Yeah, I have. There are a number of reasons, but they all boil down to the fact that I wasn't having fun anymore. I'd been playing since vanilla, stuck around when all my friends bailed, and tried to keep on going, but it just got to the point where it wasn't worth the time and (more importantly) money to keep playing.

Nightvalien

Oct 18, 2010
all of the above, including the fact that herding 25 morons every night is just annoying i can't deal with people and their bitching i enjoyed 5 man and such but 10 or 25 is just too much bitching.

ferryman

Jan 8, 2011
I left wow after tbc. after leveling my rogue to 60 (vanilla account), a feat that took me about 4 months, I realized that I was no good at the game in general, barely ever having more than 100 gold, and high ping meant pvp was really hit or miss. I stopped playing but I was too attached to the game to quit completely, so I turned to private servers. One pvp 3.x server(WowScape) stood out. It was a lot of fun, but after that ended, I quit wow and never looked back.
Hate to admit it, but the aging graphics and my new rig don't mix. Sure they were stunning for low poly, d3d 8.1 shaders and textures small enough to fit in 128 mb ram, but I can't look at them again now, especially after playing games like mass effect/2 and fallout NV. I heard they changed the engine a bit, but I doubt anything major, and I'm not looking to give it another shot.
In retrospect, I realize that it was really boring and that I had nothing better to do than pay blizzard to let me waste fours hours nearly every day and get nothing in return.