Healing

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
D'awwww that Axel looks so cute. There can never be enough Streets of Rage references.

Jan 12, 2012
Personally, I always assumed that medkits were foot-activated boxes of nanobots that spring to life, suture your wounds and pump you full of anesthetic, then drop to the ground, batteries and supplies expended. I don't care if nothing else in the setting would allow that, it's the only way I can think of them working in-universe.

Elijah Newton

Sep 17, 2008
I hope "Garden Gnome Wolverine" becomes part of common parlance, along with 'spunkgargleweewee' as a genre descriptor.

Grahav

Mar 13, 2009
Thunderous Cacophony said:
Personally, I always assumed that medkits were foot-activated boxes of nanobots that spring to life, suture your wounds and pump you full of anesthetic, then drop to the ground, batteries and supplies expended. I don't care if nothing else in the setting would allow that, it's the only way I can think of them working in-universe.
That is really cool.

You know that someone is doing something unsafe when Eren looks worried.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
You forgot the most important Medi-kit feature: It's eco-friendliness by completely and instantly bio-degrading after use.

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
This is the thing that kept going through my mind re-playing the Max Payne games. All these pain killers aren't actually keeping Max from bleeding out. Even then they take 30 min to kick in so unless he's snorting the things, he shouldn't stop limping automatically.

Thing about Call of Duty is, story wise, I think the character you're playing as is never actually hit with a bullet. The health regen is just a mechanic completely divorced from everything else.

I think when it comes to games, just fuck realism up its ass all together.

Damn you Grey and Cory! Thanks for making go on this pointless rant.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
In Red Orchestra 2 if you get hit once you have to bandage the wound or bleed out. If you're lucky.

In the recent CoD games, you just wait for the jam to go away.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
For what it's worth, Left 4 Dead medkits are bandaging which actually needs applied.

P.S. Thanks

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
Shadowstar38 said:
This is the thing that kept going through my mind re-playing the Max Payne games. All these pain killers aren't actually keeping Max from bleeding out. Even then they take 30 min to kick in so unless he's snorting the things, he shouldn't stop limping automatically.
This is Max Payne we're talking about. Snorting them wouldn't be unexpected.

I always thought the medkits in Half-Life worked through injection. Unless my memory of them making a hissing noise is from somewhere else.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Neoscavenger is a nice game with somewhat realistic wound treating
But something like that would be boring in FPS/TPS.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Yeah. Not very realistic. xD

But "realistic" healing would be kind of boring. Me personally?

:D I like healing spells. They can be "unrealistic" and still keep you immersed. Because Magic! >:D

TKretts3

Jul 20, 2010
Elijah Newton said:
I hope "Garden Gnome Wolverine" becomes part of common parlance, along with 'spunkgargleweewee' as a genre descriptor.
Nobody uses that outside of a small group of posters on Yhatzee's videos on The Escapist.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Imp Emissary said:
Yeah. Not very realistic. xD

But "realistic" healing would be kind of boring. Me personally?

:D I like healing spells. They can be "unrealistic" and still keep you immersed. Because Magic! >:D
I'm more of a straight mitigation kinda guy.

OT Realistic healing would suck.

Edit: On the topic of Healing from the perspective I'm more used to these days:

Ariseishirou

Aug 24, 2010
Shadowstar38 said:

Thing about Call of Duty is, story wise, I think the character you're playing as is never actually hit with a bullet. The health regen is just a mechanic completely divorced from everything else.

I always assumed that the CoD strawberry jam meant the character got hit, but in an area covered by his (and now her - huzzah, progress! ...that R6V and HALO had ten years ago...) ballistic resistant vest/ceramic plates/helmet. So that red is the shock of non-lethal impact, which the character takes a while to shake off. Further impacts will tear through the armor. Which is why you can still get one-hit-killed by skilled players doing headshots or using weapons like powerful sniper rifles with a high enough calibre to penetrate your armor in one hit.

This was also how I saw HP in D&D and whatnot - none of these blows ever actually broke through the armor, which is why you never lost a limb or anything, they just hit your armor and bruised/rattled you, slowly battering your resistance down. Armor increased your THAC0 because even though it didn't make you any harder to physically hit, it made it harder to land blows that bruised you.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
Ariseishirou said:
Shadowstar38 said:

I always assumed that the CoD strawberry jam meant the character got hit, but in an area covered by his (and now her - huzzah, progress! ...that R6V and HALO had ten years ago...) ballistic resistant vest/ceramic plates/helmet. So that red is the shock of non-lethal impact, which the character takes a while to shake off. Further impacts will tear through the armor. Which is why you can still get one-hit-killed by skilled players doing headshots or using weapons like powerful sniper rifles with a high enough calibre to penetrate your armor in one hit.

This was also how I saw HP in D&D and whatnot - none of these blows ever actually broke through the armor, which is why you never lost a limb or anything, they just hit your armor and bruised/rattled you, slowly battering your resistance down. Armor increased your THAC0 because even though it didn't make you any harder to physically hit, it made it harder to land blows that bruised you.
To be fair, D/D has WAAAAAAAAAAAY more leeway when it comes to healing and regeneration, simply because of its setting. You could make a point which supports your narrative, definitely, but someone giving you a nasty wound and it being healed through the use of some commonplace healing methods isn't entirely outlandish. CoD and the like really has the one you described, which can also be given an addendum of: despite your armor, continuous impact at high velocity in multiple crucial areas puts you into severe shock/effective casualty state; because even if you have the armor that can withstand bullets, being pummeled by them in likeness to a jackhammer isn't going to leave you feeling chipper.