Oct 14, 2010
Bindal said:
Ukomba said:
LostCrusader said:
Ukomba said:
Subbies said:
Jandau said:
Ukomba said:
I wonder if Ancient Mage could have increased this even more. Anyone know if it would stack with Velen's Chosen?
It would, but the goal wasn't to max out that damage, but rather the time it takes the game to resolve it all. And adding the Ancient Mage into the mix might complicate matters too much. I'm guessing even this was very tricky to get just right...
Since with arcane missiles the number of missiles is equal to the damage you are going to deal, then maxing damage and maxing the time spent casting them is the same. The real reason that you wouldn't want to do that is you would lose a *2 multipler for a +2 attack damage.

example
-2 velens + 1 mage would yield : (3(base damage) + 2(added mage damage)) *2 *2= 20 damage
-3 velens yield : 3*2*2*2 = 24 damage
That's true, if you have Ancient Mage instead of a Velens. I meant as part of the setup, and have it die and create more room for Velens. Or have the priest drop it to buff the velens before the Mage creates copies.

You can be sure someone is devising new ways to play this out to extend the turn and beat the record.

For example If you could get a Gurubashi Berserker with a lot of health on the priest side, every missile to hit it would take 2 to 3 times as long to fire as it activates is effect for each hit.
The beserker need to have some ridiculously high health to mean anything worth the effort.
Yup, and one of your players is a priest who has the ability to double a characters health. With a Lore Walker Cho in place you could send it's health incredibly high.

I did a quick calc yesterday and with a single Lore Walker Cho, and some basic cards, you could create a 1E+103 1E+103 Questing Adventuerer.

that's

1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000
1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

Pretty sure the game would crash before it got there though.
Actually, the Adventurer (or any minion, for that matter) would die at around 2 billion health total due the 32bit integer rolling over, putting the health into negative.
That's interesting, that would happen on round 9. Too bad, still a billion/billion would be neat to see.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Ukomba said:
That's interesting, that would happen on round 9. Too bad, still a billion/billion would be neat to see.
Then enjoy

There was a different videos where both attack and health are being buffed but this one I found first and was of reasonable size (second result was an attack/health video but was 24 minutes).

Subbies

Dec 11, 2010
Bindal said:
Ukomba said:
LostCrusader said:
Ukomba said:
Subbies said:
Jandau said:
Ukomba said:
I wonder if Ancient Mage could have increased this even more. Anyone know if it would stack with Velen's Chosen?
It would, but the goal wasn't to max out that damage, but rather the time it takes the game to resolve it all. And adding the Ancient Mage into the mix might complicate matters too much. I'm guessing even this was very tricky to get just right...
Since with arcane missiles the number of missiles is equal to the damage you are going to deal, then maxing damage and maxing the time spent casting them is the same. The real reason that you wouldn't want to do that is you would lose a *2 multipler for a +2 attack damage.

example
-2 velens + 1 mage would yield : (3(base damage) + 2(added mage damage)) *2 *2= 20 damage
That's true, if you have Ancient Mage instead of a Velens. I meant as part of the setup, and have it die and create more room for Velens. Or have the priest drop it to buff the velens before the Mage creates copies.

You can be sure someone is devising new ways to play this out to extend the turn and beat the record.

For example If you could get a Gurubashi Berserker with a lot of health on the priest side, every missile to hit it would take 2 to 3 times as long to fire as it activates is effect for each hit.
The beserker need to have some ridiculously high health to mean anything worth the effort.
Yup, and one of your players is a priest who has the ability to double a characters health. With a Lore Walker Cho in place you could send it's health incredibly high.

I did a quick calc yesterday and with a single Lore Walker Cho, and some basic cards, you could create a 1E+103 1E+103 Questing Adventuerer.

that's

Actually, the Adventurer (or any minion, for that matter) would die at around 2 billion health total due the 32bit integer rolling over, putting the health into negative.
Actually I saw a video not so long ago where someone buffed their lore walker to around the billions. The problem is that since the hp are store internally in signed integers, the maximum it can get to is 2147483647 before it overflows and goes into the negatives. Once you go higher you basically kill your own creature.

edit, welp ninja'd

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
DoPo said:
Ukomba said:
Then enjoy

There was a different videos where both attack and health are being buffed but this one I found first and was of reasonable size (second result was an attack/health video but was 24 minutes).
Nice. Wish they'd bump it up to 64, 128 bit, or higher so they could get some truly ridiculous numbers. For a standard game it could get to 1E+103 1E+103 before card burn would kill you.

Of course, if you were really patient/lucky with Portal and managed to get a Malorne you could push it infinitely.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
People are treating this as if it's the greatest combo ever. Then again, I can't play this so I can't get into it.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
RaikuFA said:
People are treating this as if it's the greatest combo ever. Then again, I can't play this so I can't get into it.
Not me. I'm treating it as a ludicrous, ultimately pointless, 45 hour sampling of bad game design.

jayzz911

Nov 9, 2010
Subbies said:
Bindal said:
Ukomba said:
LostCrusader said:
Ukomba said:
Subbies said:
Jandau said:
Ukomba said:

example

that's

Actually I saw a video not so long ago where someone buffed their lore walker to around the billions. The problem is that since the hp are store internally in signed integers, the maximum it can get to is 2147483647 before it overflows and goes into the negatives. Once you go higher you basically kill your own creature.

edit, welp ninja'd
unsigned longs for life baby!
OT: eh it's funny to see that a 45 hour turn is possible. It's also incredibly useless though

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
Vigormortis said:
RaikuFA said:
Not me. I'm treating it as a ludicrous, ultimately pointless, 45 hour sampling of bad game design.
This will never happen in a real game. Treat it as whatever you want, this shit can happen in any game with enough mutual set-up involved.

Galad

Nov 4, 2009
RaikuFA said:
It's not. It's just as any other Guinness world record. Interesting to see (usually someone else) attempt, interesting to know about, but not that interesting, or easy to attempt for yourself.

Battenberg

Browncoat
Aug 16, 2012
Ukomba said:
LostCrusader said:
Ukomba said:
Subbies said:
Jandau said:
Ukomba said:

example

that's

It wouldn't crash, the minion would just die when it goes over 2'147'438'648 health: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzYZ-C35pKA (around the 40 second mark).

Battenberg

Browncoat
Aug 16, 2012
Vigormortis said:
RaikuFA said:
I'm treating this quote as a ludicrous, ultimately pointless, piece of proof you don't actually understand how Hearthstone works. This straight won't ever happen without the co-operation of both players and even then they need to have 2 specific heroes and quite a few very specific cards in their deck (a few of which don't belong together in any serious competitive deck) for it to even be possible. It probably took this guy a day or two at least just to figure out how to do this and engineer an in-game situation where he could pull it off.

Basically my point is people citing this as bad game design or saying people will use this to "filibuster" opponents out the game straight up don't know what they're talking about. Most likely such people have either never played Hearthstone or have tried it briefly but didn't like it and are just looking for validation of their opinion/ choice anywhere they can find it.

Silvver

Aug 21, 2009
Vigormortis said:
RaikuFA said:
The whole achievement is ruined anyway because he misused the word 'cast' and wrote "casted".

Damn shame that!

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Battenberg said:
Insult aside, you are so far off the mark I almost laughed.

I have played Hearthstone. I have it on my Battle.net account.

And no, I'm not looking to "validate my opinion" or whatever other nonsensical thing with which you wish to rationalize my claims away. Any game like this, that has an ever-present possibility for a ludicrously high number of event instances to be stacked, should not play out a lengthy animation for every single instance. Especially if the current game state prevents those instances from being interrupted or responded to. It leads to circumstances within which the players can do nothing but sit and wait for the game to complete it's current sequence of events.

It's bad design. Pure and simple. And you're more than welcome to be as rude as you've been and continue to insult me, but that won't change bad design, 'friend'.

And for the record: I never said the entire game was bad. Some of the best games ever made feature bad design decisions.

Maybe, in the future, you shouldn't take comments about a game so personally. :/

Ferisar said:
This will never happen in a real game. Treat it as whatever you want, this shit can happen in any game with enough mutual set-up involved.
Can you give me an example of something similar from another game? Specifically: An example from a game that doesn't have a similarly poor design choice. Genuinely curious on this.

Silvver said:
The whole achievement is ruined anyway because he misused the word 'cast' and wrote "casted".

Damn shame that!
Oh, the irony!

Seriously, though, are people harping on him for that? That just seems so damn petty, given the lengths he went to set up the scenario.

Battenberg

Browncoat
Aug 16, 2012
Vigormortis said:
Speaking of far off the mark...

Not sure what qualified as an insult from my last post (apart from possibly the words I copied verbatim from your post) but it certainly wasn't meant that way.

As for the rest my point still stands. The issue you're complaining about just doesn't exist. Go play Hearthstone right now against a stranger and try (without throwing the game) to make a turn last longer than 90 seconds. It's a tough ask, let alone a circumstance you'll see regularly enough to be bad design.

DoPo

Jan 30, 2012
RaikuFA said:
People are treating this as if it's the greatest combo ever.
They...aren't. What gave you that idea? It's just pretty complicated to pull off and requires a lot of cooperation and planning. That doesn't make it "the greatest ever" the same way somebody who memorized Pi isn't the greatest mathematician ever. We could respect it, without deciding to include it in all of our builds.

Vigormortis said:
Any game like this, that has an ever-present possibility for a ludicrously high number of event instances to be stacked, should not play out a lengthy animation for every single instance. Especially if the current game state prevents those instances from being interrupted or responded to. It leads to circumstances within which the players can do nothing but sit and wait for the game to complete it's current sequence of events.

It's bad design. Pure and simple.
I'd agree with that - the animations are pretty fucking terrible. They could, and have, cost people turns. Sure, I suppose one could say they they act as an additional limit to the actions you can take (so a miracle deck doesn't blow up as much) but...it's not. Miracle decks still work - the only occasion when they won't is if you decide to wait until the last 20-30 seconds to start rotating the combo. It mostly does more harm than good as it forces an unnecessary waiting and limits things that don't need limiting.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Battenberg said:

Not sure what qualified as an insult from my last post (apart from possibly the words I copied verbatim from your post) but it certainly wasn't meant that way.
Well, I'm not sure how else to interpret - "I'm treating this quote as a ludicrous, ultimately pointless, piece of proof you don't actually understand how Hearthstone works."

Even if you simply repeated my own words, you clearly felt my comment was an insult to the game. So applying it to me, it naturally follows that it was intended as an insult.

If that wasn't your intent, then I'm confused as to what your actual intentions were.

As for the rest my point still stands. The issue you're complaining about just doesn't exist. Go play Hearthstone right now against a stranger and try (without throwing the game) to make a turn last longer than 90 seconds. It's a tough ask, let alone a circumstance you'll see regularly enough to be bad design.
That wasn't my point. I never implied that it was an issue that one would see constantly.

However, that the circumstances can occur naturally, and that they would necessitate the players having to sit through some arbitrarily long sequence of animatics, means that there was a lack of forethought into the way the game would handle stacked instances of spells and abilities.

Again, I am not saying the entire game is bad. What I am saying is, this one circumstance is one example of poor planning or poor design. It by no means makes the game bad.

DoPo said:
Precisely. That's all I was saying from the start.

Granted, my first post was probably a bit more vaguely hostile sounding than it needed to be, but I've had instances playing Hearthstone where I and my opponent had to wait far too long for the game to finish animating numerous stacks of abilities. It can be quite frustrating, especially for a game billed as a 'fast paced, casual game'.

Honestly, it's not even a massive design issue. It is an issue, but it's one that could easily be fixed. A miniscule patch would solve the issue entirely by consolidating large sequences of stacked abilities into a few instances of animation.

DoPo

Jan 30, 2012
Vigormortis said:
Battenberg said:

Well, I'm not sure how else to interpret - "I'm treating this quote as a ludicrous, ultimately pointless, piece of proof you don't actually understand how Hearthstone works."
Well, if we were to examine this exact sentence under the semantic rules I'm familiar with, then it is saying that the "piece of proof you don't actually understand how Hearthstone works" is treated as "ludicrous, ultimately pointless" by the subject of the sentence.

It doesn't make much sense in context, admittedly, but that's what it says.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
DoPo said:
Well, if we were to examine this exact sentence under the semantic rules I'm familiar with, then it is saying that the "piece of proof you don't actually understand how Hearthstone works" is treated as "ludicrous, ultimately pointless" by the subject of the sentence.

It doesn't make much sense in context, admittedly, but that's what it says.
Not sure I buy that, but what the hell? I can roll with it.