Hearthstone Reveals Single-Player Adventure Mode

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Hearthstone Reveals Single-Player Adventure Mode

[http://pv.webbyawards.com/2014/web/general-website/games-related]

flarty

Apr 26, 2012
Just got into this last week and i adore it, i can't stop playing it, I've even stopped playing titanfall to play this. Its truly digital crack!

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
I'm stoked for a new way to get cards that doesn't involve just buying boosters. With this I can save my gold to unlock new wings that are a completely different type of challenge than regular PvP. Looking at the few sample cards, it's pretty obvious that we'll have to go in to the raids, learn the fights, and then get to have the fun of crafting our decks to deal with very specific threats. The sample cards based around necromancy are going to be a pain to deal with, but my guess is that many of them will be raid rewards. The metagame is going to get completely changed by cards that enhance abilities. I'm glad that they look to be more than just new 3/3 bodies to play with. Let the gimmick decks emerge!

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
The one thing that bugs me about digital TCGs is that usually there's a lack of quality PvE content. If this is any good I'll definitely jump back into Hearthstone.

PvE really gives TCGs a chance to show off their strengths. Anonymous multiplayer basically requires you to always tune your deck to optimal strength and build to the meta, which means that there are a bunch of strategies which automatically have to be ignored just because the optimal build isn't that good. PvE gives players a place to use those strategies..

dharmaBum0

Mar 17, 2012
I love HS but once you've built a big collection, it begins to get stale. This is to be expected for a brand-new card game, so it's good to see them eager to expand the card pool. I'd like to see some more development of the class-only cards to give classes more flavor.

I like that they're trying to evolve the meta with the deathrattle focus. The more I think about it, it could really shake up the game, considering how control focused and trade-happy most decks are.

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
Interesting. I'm enjoying the game a fair amount as it but this looks to add to the fun. I can only wonder how much in game gold each wing will cost.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
YES
YES YES YES YES YES YES

I mean, reasonable response by a reasonable person, no anticipation here, none at all.

Now, in all honesty, I don't play Hearthstone too much because the pre-release streaming-train has spoiled me a bit, that and I played so much on someone else's account that getting my own felt like a grind to get everything again (which is fine, it's my fault). This will definitely make me want to get back into it. I love PvE content for card games.

... I mostly just like PvE content, in actuality.

Chareater

Aug 12, 2010
Looks like these new cards are going to make harvest golem even better! And more annoying.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Saw this today, looking forward to it :)

I just wish they'd increase the amount of gold you get in a day. I get that they want to make money, but right now, unless you're an amazing Arena player (and even if you are, you still need a good bit of luck), it's pretty much impossible to play more than a single Arena match per day. And it's hard to get better at it exactly because you can just play it once a day.

I'm starting to get bored as the normal Play area is pretty much pay-to-win and even if you're good, you're gonna lose a lot of games when people start throwing legendaries at you and Arena cost being so high (and me not being an amazing player with every single deck to be able to routinely get enough wins to win back the money for it), the whole game turns into a bit of a boring grind.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
Vrach said:
I'm starting to get bored as the normal Play area is pretty much pay-to-win and even if you're good, you're gonna lose a lot of games when people start throwing legendaries at you and Arena cost being so high (and me not being an amazing player with every single deck to be able to routinely get enough wins to win back the money for it), the whole game turns into a bit of a boring grind.
It isn't, though. There's been plenty of examples at this point where people use their "free" account to reach legendary without using any money. Skill is pretty much the biggest factor in matches, even if some people have superior cards on average, it doesn't win the game for them. Of course you'll need more cards as you get up higher, but it isn't a requirement.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
This is a fantastic addition to the game.

Just think of all the adventures (aka instances in WoW) that they can implement from that game, it's going to be glorious!

AldUK

Oct 29, 2010
Ferisar said:
It isn't, though. There's been plenty of examples at this point where people use their "free" account to reach legendary without using any money. Skill is pretty much the biggest factor in matches, even if some people have superior cards on average, it doesn't win the game for them. Of course you'll need more cards as you get up higher, but it isn't a requirement.
This is both true and false. I agree with you that skill is more of a factor than many people believe, since so many players simply play every card in their hands as soon as it is available. However there are cards in the game that can dramatically shift the direction of play, or squeeze out a sudden victory thanks to top-decking. And having those available to your deck is an advantage.

I did what most of my friends who play HS have done; I bought 40 boosters as a one-time purchase, effectively 'buying' the game. That gave me enough of a base to build upon using only in-game currency. I've been playing almost every day to complete the quests, do a little arena etc. Pretty casually. My best rank was 6 last season and I'm still missing a lot of legendaries and epics. But I enjoy the game and slowly but surely I am unlocking more cards.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
AldUK said:
Ferisar said:
This is both true and false. I agree with you that skill is more of a factor than many people believe, since so many players simply play every card in their hands as soon as it is available. However there are cards in the game that can dramatically shift the direction of play, or squeeze out a sudden victory thanks to top-decking. And having those available to your deck is an advantage.

I did what most of my friends who play HS have done; I bought 40 boosters as a one-time purchase, effectively 'buying' the game. That gave me enough of a base to build upon using only in-game currency. I've been playing almost every day to complete the quests, do a little arena etc. Pretty casually. My best rank was 6 last season and I'm still missing a lot of legendaries and epics. But I enjoy the game and slowly but surely I am unlocking more cards.
I won't refute that, for sure, but it's part of the game. Not much they can do for a card collecting game, especially when the amount of cards is so finite. Of course having a better variety gives one party the advantage, but that also assumes they'll actually use it properly. Just saying it's not automatically p2w just because you can buy cards x)

Malbourne

Ari!
Sep 4, 2013
For a while, I butted heads with some of the lower ranking players ever, but that was so long ago. All of my enjoyment of the game is vicarious now, so I'm just gonna conjecture! Not sure exactly how an adventure mode will pan out in terms of storyline, but whatever they're doing with it, it seems like a really good opportunity to teach players the finer points of the game's strategy. This is a really hefty package for the customers who pay for it, so it's nice a lot of production value went into it!

softclocks

Mar 7, 2014
I just worry about the whole wing-run business.

Will we have to pay for a single attempt at clearing it? As in, we lose against an npc and have to pay for another run? If so, then it's about as cash-grab as an 80s arcade machine.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Ferisar said:
Vrach said:
I know, but it's hard going into it blind. With the random choice of hero and the random choice of cards, you pretty much have to know every single class and still get pretty lucky with the draft. If I started over with a new account today, I might actually be luckier with the Arena... you can get a lot of gold (though it's a one time thing) through the achievements and using that money better this time would probably let me play Arena for far longer than I did, thus getting more actual practice. But I blew a lot of it just wanting to get in and have some fun and now with the 1 arena run/day thing, it's hard to get noticeably better.

As for Play mode, yes, I've beaten a lot of guys throwing legendaries at me, despite only recently have gotten my first useful epic card (which I did by disenchanting almost all other epics I had). Hell, when I was doing my Hunter quest once (hunter not being my 'main' class), I damn near beat a Druid throwing some 4-5 legendaries at me. Yes, you have a chance and can outplay that kind of stuff, but the legendary cards still give you an awful lot of advantage. If you have a good player and one who's happy to buy a ton of packs, get a bunch of awesome cards and make a murder deck out of them, then good luck going against that.

Norix596

Nov 2, 2010
I'm a fan of most of the spoilers - a "deathrattle deck" might be neat - not so sure about the swords one though - negative/drawback death rattles certainly make for varied and interesting design, but I'm not sure this particular one is a very good tradeoff 4/4 for 3 and giving your opponent a card isn't very appealing when Injured Blademaster and King Mukla are around