HEATWAVE UK Edition. Where the hell is the wind?

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
It's hot. So damn hot. You i'm from the Caribbean but there we have breeze... and a beach that is a 10 min walk away. Sadly, I'm in London were if you go on the bus, you will die. On railways, you might live if it's a new train (Love you Thameslink and District) and if you go underground on the Tube, YOU WILL DIE!!

So how are you handling the heat?

For me? I dislike work but one thing about my work place is that it has two area I call Heaven. The giant chiller that is about 0?c and the giant Freezer that going to a low low -18?c. Fucking joy!!! Benefits of working for an online supermarket.

Stay cool folks. The bloody city has no breeze. Flipping tall ass buildings.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
UK and NL seems to share the the same weather. Really hot here as well. The humdity is awful. Fortunately heat waves never last long here. I wouldn't be able to survive in a hot climate. :p I also hate the sun and how it hangs in the sky like it owns the fucking place. Nah not really but I only like the sun in spring or winter. 'Summer sun' is fucking terrible. Unfortunately spring seems to be gone as well. It's like a flip is switched from cold to disgustingly hot. Fucking climate change! This place always had such a long and gentle spring. Though I'm sure the heat is followed by weeks of perpetual rain *sigh*.

EscapeGoat_v1legacy

Aug 20, 2008
Parasondox said:
So how are you handling the heat?
Badly.

For a start, I am a pasty ginger person and therefore I burn way too easily. For two, I travel on the nation's shittest train service, London Midland, and so far in May and June they have a damn-near 100% record on the trains I want to take getting delayed, which means I have to spend time waiting out on platforms in the sun or in the horrible metal waiting shelters, melting my nadgers off. I am basically living as much as possible with a fan in front of me in the vain hopes that I make it to winter.

Catnip1024

Jan 25, 2010
But you get that wonderful wind in the underground when the train arrives, right? That hot, exhaust fumey breeze...

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
Badly. Northampton is really fucking hot, but I think there is a very slight breeze, I can see the trees moving ever so slightly. Its been weird driving around and seeing the wind turbines not spinning.

As a fat bloke, I think I speak for all fat blokes when I say fuck this heat. Usually I object to spending the whole day driving around in a van, but today the air con in that van has been a blessing. I've actually thought about buying an air con unit for my flat, but can I really justify the cost for what will be about 5 days of extreme heat?

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
How am I handling the heat?

Am sitting in my undies infront of my Industrial strength fan, and I'm still smoldering. I live in a house that's crap in the summer. It captures and hold heat like a jealous girlfriend. Even if the temperture outside has been nice and cool for three days, my house will still have the heat from before locked inside.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Casual Shinji said:
I live in a house that's crap in the summer. It captures and hold heat like a jealous girlfriend. Even if the temperture outside has been nice and cool for three days, my house will still have the heat from before locked inside.
I experience the same thing. I guess these houses are built to keep heat in with all the isolation and crap which probably made sense over 3 decades ago. Now winters are getting milder and summers hotter. Unfortunately built-in airconditioners are quite expensive and the portable ones make the noise of a jet engine. It does make rooms cooler though.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Ive quite literally been sitting in front of a desk fan all day. All weekend, even.

Aug 31, 2012
I live in the deep south of Cornwall by the sea, so there is a decent wind, but it fools you into thinking it's cooler than it is, so you really have to watch for getting burnt. Got the next 4 off so I'm going down to the beach tomorrow to get some quality ogling time in.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Another dutch person here, and as others said the same weather applies here.

I'm just glad that my tollerance for warm weather went up. Used to be detrimental to my health bad enough that it lead to black outs and dizzyness. That said, like today, I'm glad I slept during the afternoon and not at night. Stil woke up sweating but missed the worst of the day atleast.

I'll be happy when it is winter again.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Soak it up laddies! This is a rare feat as I'm just plian bored of the typical clouds and rain us brits usually have.

In saying so however, you have my symapthy with the London tube (went to London to visit my bro and man, the scorching underground heat was just as bad with the Hong Kong subway)!!

I'm handling the heat just fine as ironically, I STILL stay indoor when I want to (horay for being antisocial and no nearby friends to drag me outside)!

The heat however will only make me go to the local icecream palour more frequent which is good for them but bad for me per say on spending more cash. I guess it will be my current guilty pleasure as their ice cream are GOOD (it's one of the top ice creams parlour in the Wales)!

-Ezio-

Eats Nuts, Kicks Butts.
Nov 17, 2009
how am i handling it?

HOW AM I HANDLING IT?

NOT GREAT!!!!

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Heat wave my ass. Its probably just Millhouse...

As a person from Queensland, Australia - let me know when your bitumen starts melting. That's not heat wave territory here. Its just called summer.

I do have to say that the locals here currently complaining about winter, and it being around 15C and calling that cold is ridiculous.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
trunkage said:
As a person from Queensland, Australia - let me know when your bitumen starts melting. That's not heat wave territory here. Its just called summer.
Look, we're used to 10-15 degrees Celcius and anything above that starts to fry our English brains.

It's been 30+ today, I live on the side of a freaking mountain and it's still too hot, I'm not meant for these conditions, 5 degrees and I'm bouncing around happy as you like, this is making me sick.

Even my cat's called time on being outside and has spread herself out on my windowsill, in the shade.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
stroopwafel said:
I experience the same thing. I guess these houses are built to keep heat in with all the isolation and crap which probably made sense over 3 decades ago. Now winters are getting milder and summers hotter. Unfortunately built-in airconditioners are quite expensive and the portable ones make the noise of a jet engine. It does make rooms cooler though.
They seem to be catching on though. My sister moved into a newly constructed suburb last year and her house has a built-in element in the floor that keeps things cool on the summer and warm in winter. Fat lotta good that does me though.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
I freeze everything. My drinks, chocolate, jellies, bank accounts, babies, you name it, I freeze it. I have an ice-water bottle for sleepsies

Hawk of Battle

Feb 28, 2009
Dudes, it is now precisely 1.04 am and I am sitting here with my fan next to me on max speed and am still sweating. Fortunately I have the perfect plan to solve this issue; in about 5 hours I'm boarding a plane bound for greece....

Wait... shit!

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
FalloutJack said:
I say Trump stole it. No reason. Just an easy and acceptable target.
Err... no no no. It does exist. Climate change also doesn't exist. Actually you know what? It's the Chinese doing this to us. Trump was right!!!