Heavy Rain Creator Praises Sony's "Balls"

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Heavy Rain Creator Praises Sony's "Balls"

Quantic Dream's David Cage believes his success with Heavy Rain is thanks to Sony's willingness to take risks above other publishers.

PlayStation 3 exclusive Heavy Rain [http://www.amazon.com/Heavy-Rain-Playstation-3/dp/B002CZ38KA], which blurs the line between videogame, movie, and cabinet-opening simulator, is the type of product that the world hasn't really seen before. The game's visionary, David Cage, says that the only reason it was able to become a "commercial success" was because Sony had enough "balls" to take a risk on the Quantic Dream developed product.

Speaking at GDC Europe 2010 (via Edge [http://www.next-gen.biz/news/david-cage-egocentrism-means-creative-freedom]), Cage stated that it's time for the videogame industry to break out of the same game design rules it has been following for "25 years." He wants new ideas to invade the market, but thinks it isn't going to happen because the industry's publishers are too conservative. Other than Sony, that is.

"Publishers in general don't have balls," he said. "That's a fact. They want a safe bet. They look at what was successful last year, and ask you to do the same. You need to give them reasons to trust you... With a game like Heavy Rain, it comes together very late. If I showed you the alpha of Heavy Rain, you'd probably kill it and say that it would never happen. Many publishers would have killed that game at that stage. Sony didn't."

Because Sony was willing to take a risk to publish Heavy Rain, Quantic Dream was able to develop Cage's vision. Cage knows the market is ready for new ideas like his, revealing: "Very few developers take risks, or have opportunities to do so. But the market is ready for that ... now I can say that for sure. Heavy Rain is a commercial success, which is something that nobody at Sony or [Quantic Dream] expected, to be honest with you."

Whether you enjoy the game or not, Heavy Rain is something different that wouldn't have been properly funded by a publisher that didn't want to take a risk. In this instance, the risk paid off and as Cage says, Heavy Rain was a success. We definitely do need publishers with "balls" so that we can see new types of games being developed, but at the same time I can't blame a company for not wanting to funnel millions, or even tens of millions of dollars into a game to only go under when it doesn't reach an audience. It really does take balls to risk that kind of investment.

Source: Edge [http://www.next-gen.biz/news/david-cage-egocentrism-means-creative-freedom]

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well, I dont think it was so much of a risk, as a gamble. I think it was a good one, and, I am glad Sony decided to take it on board.

But, overall...I think they saw the gap in the market, and took it~

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
This is starting to feel like Cracked.com, what with the multiple mentions of unmentionables.

Anyway, this could either lead to a more innovative market or a slew of Heavy Rain sequels and rip-offs.
I'm banking on the latter, unfortunately.

v3n0mat3

Jul 30, 2008
And it's because of this willingness to take such risks that makes Sony a top competitor. Sony has a game about FLOWERS and it did very well.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
Yeah, Heavy Rain represents for us something that we really needed, a risk that was a hit. It has no space marines, not a first or third person shooter. It has nothing but story to latch onto, and it sold.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
It's a shame this game was a PS3 exclusive though, as I would have liked to have tried it, hopefully something similar will be released for the 360 soon...

RoyalWelsh

Feb 14, 2010
Well, i'm glad Sony had the "balls" to publish this game, it was a very good game and it sold well. I just hope more publishers/developers take a few more risks instead of just playing it safe and releasing FPS's over and over.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
And so do I, because I absolutely loved Heavy Rain.
Say what you will about Sony, but the fact that they financed the game puts them really high among fellow publishers.
I refer you to the situation with Brutal Legend and Activision.

Mechsoap

Apr 4, 2010
im quite amused by the title...

ot: let it be a example for other big companies, risk often=succes

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
JoJoDeathunter said:
It's a shame this game was a PS3 exclusive though, as I would have liked to have tried it, hopefully something similar will be released for the 360 soon...
I had the same hiccup, having played Fahrenheit on PC already, I was excited for Heavy Rain and was going to buy it. Not to be unfortunately, I hope they port it, but it's probably not likely.

Plus, Quantic is apparently making a sequal to Omikron: The Nomad Soul which is also tentatively PS3 exclusive, I'll be a sad panda if that doesn't change.

Orcus The Ultimate

Nov 22, 2009
As Scarface would say: "you have big fuckin' Cojones !"

i just hope they still encourage that kind of artistic/indie games...

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
Haha, Quantic Dreams developes for Sony because they love Sony's balls. So. Much. Innuendo.

Irridium

Ā 
Apr 28, 2008
Yeah, Sony has been known for developing new IP's.

Seriously, there's less sequels for Sony titles than anywhere else. Save for maybe Ratchet and Clank, but Ratchet and Clank kick all sorts of ass.