Heavy Rain Creator Says Content More Important Than Controls

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Jumplion said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
eerrrr... I had more fun with damnation because it was more of a game than gears was, thus why games should not be made like films different mediums need different styles in the way they are created......... 0-o
Well that's fine, play Damnation for all I care. But just because you didn't enjoy apparant "film-esque" games like Gears of War or Heavy Rain does not mean that games should not experiment with other styles.

We already have enough games that are "just games", why shouldn't games be made with different styles? You say that games should not be like films because they need different styles of creation, so what are those styles of creation? There's a million and one different possibilities that games have yet to explore, we should not limit ourselves to just 100 or so.
The trouble is making a game that pretends to be a film is disingenuous and and comes out sloppy, most games these days made as games are sloppy for that reason to much is done for some fou quasi experience than making a game a game IE a interactive medium that plays well.

I am not saying they can not get out of the box and try other things but right now the box puts the visual experience first and mechanics and game play dead last. This is why I can;t stand FO3 or BIoshock much its lacking in polish and qaulity form a game perspective. Gears is an ok but limited game that has surprisingly good "screen play" Damnation lacks the "screen play" but makes up for it with just a bit more gamepaly (crude and broken game play not withstanding).

Grears 1 is one of the few games that I have played that its "screen play" as I put it made it more than mediocre... really the only 2 complaints with GOW1 is limited level layouts and not enough variarty in weapons and sadly I am experiencing that again in War for Cybertron I really hate it when the "screen play" is decent but the game itself is middling at best.....

Current we have no balance in game play and screen play making most games play out like big blockbuster summer trainwrecks.....

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
ZippyDSMlee said:
The trouble is making a game that pretends to be a film is disingenuous and and comes out sloppy, most games these days made as games are sloppy for that reason to much is done for some fou quasi experience than making a game a game IE a interactive medium that plays well.
So improve upon the idea. If a game that "pretends" to be a film comes out as sloppy, then start improving upon that mechanic to make it great. I personally loved Heavy Rain, as I've said before, even if it was "more film than game" as some would say, but it's still a game that tried something different. If that is improved upon then there could be an even better game that refines Heavy Rain's mechanics, or even change it up entirely.

I am not saying they can not get out of the box and try other things but right now the box puts the visual experience first and mechanics and game play dead last. This is why I can;t stand FO3 or BIoshock much its lacking in polish and qaulity form a game perspective. Gears is an ok but limited game that has surprisingly good "screen play" Damnation lacks the "screen play" but makes up for it with just a bit more gamepaly (crude and broken game play not withstanding).
Okay, that's great, but so what? Improve upon those ideas and maybe you can merge visual experience and mechanics into one. I personally loved Fallout 3 and BioShock, especially BioShock as that had a completely unique setting and visual style with an excellent story to boot. While the gameplay mechanics were not exactly up to par, the setting and story made it up for me at least.

Innovations do not just have to be on the visual side, gameplay aspects can also be changed around and experimented with. Heavy Rain had an entirely different control scheme and was centered around a widely-hated mechanic, the Quick-Time-Event, but that didn't stop me, and many others, from liking it because it was implemented in a different way.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Jumplion said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
So improve upon the idea. If a game that "pretends" to be a film comes out as sloppy, then start improving upon that mechanic to make it great. I personally loved Heavy Rain, as I've said before, even if it was "more film than game" as some would say, but it's still a game that tried something different. If that is improved upon then there could be an even better game that refines Heavy Rain's mechanics, or even change it up entirely.

Okay, that's great, but so what? Improve upon those ideas and maybe you can merge visual experience and mechanics into one. I personally loved Fallout 3 and BioShock, especially BioShock as that had a completely unique setting and visual style with an excellent story to boot. While the gameplay mechanics were not exactly up to par, the setting and story made it up for me at least.

Innovations do not just have to be on the visual side, gameplay aspects can also be changed around and experimented with. Heavy Rain had an entirely different control scheme and was centered around a widely-hated mechanic, the Quick-Time-Event, but that didn't stop me, and many others, from liking it because it was implemented in a different way.
Nothing will get done until the suits let it, right now everything is setup to focus on the visual expedience first, its been like that for the last decade and there's no reason to change the public at large dose not care about qaulity and are happy with the almost anythign is good enough approach.

So there's not much you can do but vote with your wallet I buy all my games now used there's no need for me to support an industry that no longer makes and supports qaulity products, I just wish more people bought used and thinned the disposable media generator brands some...mabye we can get more indie development out of it....

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
They want games in general to get more widespread acceptance? Try releasing games that aren't single console exclusives.

You may find that helps.