Helicopter Crashes in games

setting_son

Apr 14, 2009
TheIronRuler said:
You forgot Call of Duty 7's heli crash.

EDIT: Call of Duty 1 has a plane crash when you play as the British.
[/quote]

That's a Horsa Glider at Pegasus bridge - they were single use vehicles, every landing was a crash landing.

Also;

Singularity
F3AR
FEAR: Extraction Point

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Modern Warfare 2 had that admittedly epic mission that ends in your helicopter getting RPGed down.

EDIT: And the Far Cry 3 gameplay video, at the end.

Archangel768

Nov 9, 2010
Don't forget Metal Gear Solid 4, there's a scene at the end of Act 3 that has 3 helicopters crash.

TheCommie12

Feb 25, 2011
Medal of Honor, the latest one, it has heli crashes at the begining of every mission. On reflection the should have just called it "Helicopter go boom"

Liudeius

Oct 5, 2010
I haven't played most of those games, but when I fly player controlled helicopters I find them easy to land without crashing. You just can't rush it too much (like in real life). Especially in Saints Row, those are easy to land (even when you do rush it).

Of course I still bail out of both helicopters and planes plenty, but that's just because I know they aren't going to stay parked where I leave them if I land properly, so I might as well have fun and see a big boom.

Edit: Oh wait, that's right, there is a scripted crash in Saints Row. Well I guess if you are only talking scripted, it helps in real life that there aren't usually five hundred people trying to kill you.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
Half Life: Opposing Force starts off with your helicopter crashing.

Jakub324

Jan 23, 2011
In Just Cause 2 you can safely land a helicopter on a row of parked cars. I once landed one on the back of a moving lorry. That is one game in which helicopters are very easy to land.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
That's all I can remember fucking happening in Modern Warfare.

Pro-tip: if the "devastating" event in your game involves a helicopter crash, don't crash another 3 of them beforehand. Especially when your campaign is only 8 hours long.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
The final cutscene of Driver: Parallel Lines begins with one.

I'm sure there'd be a few Vietnam games that have at least one in there too.

Still Life

Sep 22, 2010
Well, BF:BC2 has the best unscripted helicopter crashes I've ever seen in any game. They never get old.

Just last night I:

- Shot down an Apache gunship with a guided missile launcher, tearing it in half and instantly killing the two pilots. What made that instance stand out was that the wreckage came hurtling down toward me, landing at my feet.

- In that same game, on the offense, my gunship was shot down forcing me to eject. I landed midair atop of my own vehicle's wreckage, riding it half way down to ground level before I pushed off to land safely just feet from my own, ruined helicopter.

Good times.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
The most recent Medal of Honor had at least one.

I know of it because it was the only memorable moment in the whole game.

Sprinal

Jan 27, 2010
I think you forgot City of Heroes. (one of the trials)
i'd say Halo 2 if you would call a pelican a helicopter.

Phisi

Jun 1, 2011
In Crysis 1 you can shoot down helicopters and what about Avatar the game or are we going to ignore that?

wolas3214

Mar 30, 2011
Well, in crysis 2 the second(third? Thisg ame has alot of helicoptors) time you hop in a helicoptor for your final mission it actually doesnt crash! you just sorta.. hop out of it anyways.

Akiada

Apr 7, 2010
The Rainbow Six: Vegas games kinda both do this and subvert this. You see a couple NPC choppers in the games and they get destroyed: a civvie chopper gets it's tail rotor blasted while trying to get news footage of a gun battle between Rainbow operatives and terrorists, and in the second you take down an enemy chopper.

But the subversion? No chopper you ride in ever goes down. And you do spend quite a few mission intros riding to the location in a chopper too. The chopper comes under fire more than once and a pilot is even shot but the thing keeps in the air.

It's kinda funny.

almostgold

Dec 1, 2009
I think just a big a problem is that in COD, the first extraction point never, ever, NEVER works out.

"The LZ is too hot!"
Of course it is.

TerribleAssassin

Apr 11, 2010
GTA IV, though I reflection I might just be shit at piloting helicopters.

And Half-Life: OF, such a good game....