Hell Yeah! Giving away a Dead Rabbit on Steam

Louie Clark

Mar 31, 2011
edit: Also giving away Oblivion GOTY here: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.390175-Another-giveaway-Oblivion-GOTY-on-Steam

Hi again.

This is my third Steam giveaway here in what is hopefully going to become a fairly reoccurring thing. If you missed the last two, here's how this goes.

Visit this link, and check out Hell Yeah! Wrath of the Dead Rabbit: http://store.steampowered.com/app/205230/

Does that look like something you want to play? Are you going to actually play it and not just let it sit in your Steam library, uninstalled, all because you just want free shit no matter what?

If you want a copy of this game, and aren't just trying to screw someone else out of getting it, post a comment saying as much. As of this writing, I only have one (1) copy of this to give away, but that *may* change. No promises.

I will collect the names of the interested people, and then at midnight mountain time on the 5th (that gives you a little over 38 hours, guys) I will randomly pick one of you and give you this game on Steam.

The only requirements are that you have a Steam account, and like I said above, you actually want to play the game.

I've had people ask in the past how I pick the random person. I use http://www.random.org/ because it is not pseudo-random. Some of you will know what I mean. If not, look into it. You might be surprised to find out how some games and things handle "random" chance. For instance, in the early Megaman games, the items the enemies drop vary based on Megaman's location. If you know what you're doing and use programs to run the game frame by frame, you can get whatever you want to drop with near 100% accuracy.

-------------------------------

tl;dr: Hell Yeah! Wrath of the Dead Rabbit, for free, on Steam.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/205230/

Jim's review: http://www.destructoid.com/review-hell-yeah-wrath-of-the-dead-rabbit-235596.phtml

TB's WTF is..: http://youtu.be/iOfTaSDW-zs (thanks to guys below for info on this video)

BernardoOne

Jun 7, 2012
I'm in. Saw a lot of lets play for it in the past few days and I'm definitively interested! Thanks for your generosity!

Louie Clark

Mar 31, 2011
BernardoOne said:
I'm in. Saw a lot of lets play for it in the past few days and I'm definitively interested! Thanks for your generosity!
No problem, I like to give to the community when I can. The games sometimes come to me from the developers themselves as well, as I review indie PC titles.

felbot

May 11, 2011
sure im in, i saw tb's first impression and i definitely want it.

ill even let you decide when ill gouge out your eyeballs this time, not later like in the last thread.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Very nice giveaway, and anyone that doesn't get this freebie still go and buy this bloody game because it is excellent, if you ever enjoyed Jazz Jackrabbit this purchase is a no-brainer.

BernardoOne

Jun 7, 2012
Louie Clark said:
BernardoOne said:
No problem, I like to give to the community when I can. The games sometimes come to me from the developers themselves as well, as I review indie PC titles.
Could you link me to some of your reviews? I would like to read them :)

Louie Clark

Mar 31, 2011
BernardoOne said:
Could you link me to some of your reviews? I would like to read them :)
I would, but the main site I used to write them for is down for who knows why, and has been for a couple weeks now. I do them here and there instead these days.

Now they just randomly pop up on some website or blog, you know how it goes. It's never been a paid job, nor would I ever want it to be. Indie games are just something I love and want more people to notice.

SilkySkyKitten

Oct 20, 2009
I saw TotalBiscuit's "WTF Is..." of the game (like a few other people) and I must say it did look really cool and fun. Plus, I did love the randomness and bizarreness of it all.

Consider me also interested in this giveaway for sure.

Louie Clark

Mar 31, 2011
FuhrerVonZephyr said:
OOH! ME! PICK ME!

It seems like Disgaea as a platformer. HOW AWESOME IS THAT?
Oh god, if only.

Skywolf, I have yet to watch that. I may have to check it out. The look of it is the main reason I got interested in it. Art like this always makes me happy.

Art is also the reason I was so hyped for that Scott Pilgrim game that has yet to get a damn PC port. Paul Robertson is one of my favorite artists and that game was like a chance to finally get to play one of his movies.

If anyone is curious what I mean, you should totally check out Kings of Power 4 Billion %. Link is below. It's about 13 minutes long and just amazing.

http://vimeo.com/7861415

There's an HD version around somewhere that is really detailed.

Louie Clark

Mar 31, 2011
Savo said:
I'm interested :)
Okay. I'm all caught up on people.

Also, I have something else to give away and I'll let you guys decide how I should do it.

It's Oblivion GOTY Edition, on Steam as well. Should I just work it into this thread, or make another one for that after this is over? Let me know what you guys think, it's gonna be your game anyway.

Inconspicuous Trenchcoat

Shinku Hadouken!
Nov 12, 2009
I already own this game and have played 90 minutes of it (in addition to watching Giant Bomb's and TB's Quick Looks of it). I'm really enjoying it. Thought I'd share some thoughts to stir up some interest, hopefully.. but mostly I just feel like spewing out my thoughts on the game.

Regarding some points made in Jim Sterling's Destructoid review:
-Controls are "floaty": I disagree with his complaints about the controls. He said they were "floaty." Well, for the vast majority of game (I assume) you're in your spinning blade vehicle which does jump like a character in a jetpack would, so it's supposed to be like that. But I assume he actually means "not accurate" or "not 1:1 control/not responsive" when he says "floaty." To that I also disagree. I think the controls are very tight, not perfect, but close enough. The inertia is a bit goofy to handle while you're jetpacking, I imagine practice will alleviate this. The wall jump takes getting used to as it's unwieldy, but aside from those minor issues, it's very tight. I had more trouble with the general level design as far as control goes. There's a lot of outcroppings or zig-zagging terrain you can catch on, which can screw up a jump or general navigation of a level. You get better at avoiding them though.

-The games tries too hard to be quirky cult classic: It works for me, the game oddly reminds me of how old Sonic games feel, including level design, even though you don't run at high speeds. Right, less tangents... um, if you don't like wacko monsters, video game internet humor (no subtlety, highly dependent on self-referencial and video games nuance and culture jokes), bombastic displays of cartoon blood and green butts that are spring boards and "haha poop is funny" humor then you probably won't like it.

-The game forces you to recollect collectibles (the money thingies) after respawning at a preceding checkpoint, which seems designed to only waste time: Well, I believe they did this to protect the integrity of the game. If you can just suicide grab every collectible, and slowly collect them all without effort than why not just hand them all over for free? You should only get to keep them if you can collect them properly without dying. It can be very annoying, yes. But overall I think it's just there for fairness's sake.

Good points:
-Its style (however, you may not like it. At least it's not as WTF!? as Dynamite Headdy)
-The monster guide (each one you defeat has a funny backstory)
-Aesthetics (There are so many different, bizarre art assets, holy carpe diem!)
-The humor (though the writing can be cumbersome, or feel chopped)
-Gameplay is fun, especially once you get better weapons. Variety has been there so far.
-Level design is cool. Interesting geometry to navigate. I miss verticality in games. This has a lot of it.
-Frequent checkpoints. Maybe this is bad for some, but it's Metrovania style, not level based, so it makes sense I guess.
-The Wario Ware mini-games are pretty awesome to watch unfold. They might get old later on, as I've already encountered repeats only 90 minutes in.

(Minor) Bad points:
-I would have much preferred if they had just shown dialogue if you were in close proximity to an area or character, but you'd still maintain full control and could skip it if you wished.
-You're frozen in place while there's dialogue, and the dialogue is shown too slowly. Mainly because the character cut-out and their speech bubbles spend too much time switching or "popping up."
-Checkpoints that force you to slog through dialogue again.
-Since there's no punishment for death besides having to recollect collectibles (which is fair), I wish your resurrection animation was shorter. It gets old waiting through it after 5 deaths, but probably only if you've become a fan of quick respawns as in Torchlight 2, Super Meat Boy or Rayman Origins.
-The animation for getting on and off your blade bike thing is too long (this only occurs at certain "gateway" things, it's not a frequent thing).
-The haphazard shape of the terrain, though partly awesome, can also result in getting momentarily stuck or a jump cut unintentionally short.
-Navigation of some obstacles may not be intuitive for those that aren't used to the idea of a character's collision frame being much smaller than their model/sprite.

If you like numbers... I'd give this a 7.5/10 or 4/5 stars, based off of 90 minutes and little thought.

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
Hell yeah! I saw the Biscuit's take on this and it definitely looks like something to take note of. It's not afraid to be flat-out crazy and I like that.