Hello Kitty is a Cat, Right? Wrong, Says Her Creator

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
You horrible cattists! Hello Kitty has the right to be a real human girl if she wants to!

SHAME!

briankoontz

May 17, 2010
Hello Kitty is a Kawaii version of a human girl. It's a girl's idea of what she could be if she could max out her adorable setting - the cuteness of cats has been exploited to produce a $7 Billion a year product, while "merely human" Japanese girls get to constantly modify themselves to achieve a fraction of Hello Kitty's attention and success.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
Yeah no..she has cat ears and whiskers..she's a damned cat.

Stop trying to troll your fans, cause it doesn't work like that.

crazygameguy4ever

Jul 2, 2012
it's a cat.. maybe what the creator said was lost in translation.. or messed up.. or maybe she doesn't know what a cat looks like. cause while i don't want anything to do with hello kitty, hello kitty is clearly a cat... an anthropomorphic cat but a cat nonetheless ...or else the character wouldn't be called Hello KITTY as in kitty cat

Cavouku

Mar 14, 2008
I read that Kotaku article, and yeah, it seems the implication was never so much that Hello Kitty was a human girl, but... why would the representative get antsy about that to the anthropologist person?

Hello Kitty is a cartoon character that represents an anthropomorphized and stylized cat. This much is clear. What I wanna know is why was the person discussed in the original story so hung up on the semantics. The representation? Everyone old enough to count on their fingers knows that's a cat, and that calling it a cat doesn't detract from her humanity. And saying that won't turn the kids into furries (other things will surely do that), so...

The head company has confirmed that "she's not a cat" is going too far, and "she's a human" is going way too far. But if so, what in the sam-shit started the whole thing?

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011

I just want to know what bug crawled up Sanrio's collective bums that would make them take issue with this. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck it's probably a duck, right? Lets see...kitty whiskers? Check. Kitty ears? Check. Sometimes-visible kitty tail? Check. But no, I suppose it isn't a cat because it doesn't walk on all fours, crap in a litter box, and spray in your shoes.

Seriously, they act as if cartoons have never depicted animals with humanistic traits. Guess what: they're still their respective species, regardless of the fact that they wear clothes and walk on two legs.

I guess Angry Beavers wasn't a show about...angry beavers. It was a remake of The Odd Couple.

Nowhere Man

Mar 10, 2013
Whatever Japan. Hello Kitty is a cat. You can't troll me. Next you'll be saying that Badtz-Maru is actually a little boy.

Look at him Japan! That's a fucking bird! Just look!

ffs-dontcare

Aug 13, 2009
Yeah, if the creator says it's not a cat, I'm going to go with what the creator says about their own creation. I don't have the authority, so to speak, to dictate what someone else's creation is.

Not being sarcastic either.

(Assuming this wasn't lost in translation or anything.)

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
UberPubert said:
Saulkar said:
Actually the correct term is anthromorph, but due to semantics anthromorph can be used for pretty much anything we instill our thoughts and values onto. Contextually however, anthromorph would be the best term used outside of the Furry/Scaly fandom.
Not trying to be judgmental or anything, but I feel like I've officially spent too much time on the internet just from reading this.
In that case, does this video rustle your jimmies?
If not, you areONE OF US

Madame_Lawliet

Jul 16, 2013
I'm calling mistranslation/misunderstanding on this one.
Either that or it's some kind of Japanese cultural thing that we have difficulty wrapping our western heads around, those tend to happen.

Dr. Crawver

Doesn't know why he has premium
Nov 20, 2009
The strangest part is some of her friends are still referred to as animals, like the bear and monkeys. They clearly don't give a fuck about consistency.

Thetwistedendgame

Apr 5, 2011
She is actually a being of unfathomable power, brought forth from another dimension to claim this universe as her own. All hail our overlord, Hello Kitty!

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
If she wants to say she should be considered closer to a person than a pet, fair enough...

But, if she wants to say she is human, she might be the worst drawing of a girl I have ever seen...

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Hazy992 said:
I suppose Mickey Mouse isn't a Mouse now either?
Didn't you know? Mickey is african american.
What?
He was designed in 1928, everyone was racist as fuck back then, especially Disney.