Help a fellow Escapist by answering two short questions!

Astoria

Oct 25, 2010
Female and yes, I think. I'm not very good with sub genres but I do like metal in general.

evilstonermonkey

Oct 26, 2009
Male and... yes, for the most part. It depends a little on the music itself, but if all you need is a generalised yes or no answer then yeah, I do.

I agree with someone's prior statement that you are going to get quite a skewed response here though - there is undoubtedly a bigger female base here than one might imagine, but it is still going to be predominantly male. If you are trying to get an idea of any statistical relationship between gender and liking heavy metal you might be better off using a sample group of 150 males and 150 female fans, instead of 300 mixed.

Also, why not use a poll? My first thought was that your initial decision to only take the first 300 responses was why (since you would not be able to limit the responses to 300 in the poll), but why limit the number of responses, especially in the same post you said you wanted as big a sample as possible. A poll would require much less reading through. And I believe it gives you the numbers as well as the percentages, so you should still be able to do all the calcs (e.g. "467 individuals volunteered for the survey, of whom 271 were male and 196 were female. Male participants were appear to be more likely to be heavy metal listeners, with 165 (61%) saying they were as compared to the 106 (54%) females fans.) Just my $0.02.

SwimmingRock

Nov 11, 2009
Male and not anymore, no. Also, good luck with the statistical analysis. Always hated that shit myself.

Oisin XD

Oct 15, 2009
Male, yes.

However, I really hate the super hardcore stuff... According to one of my friends, I'm not a heavy fan unless i like growling and assholes smacking their guitars randomly. He's a true heavy fan, in more ways than one :)

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧

DJDarque

Words
Aug 24, 2009
Oisin XD said:
Male, yes.

However, I really hate the super hardcore stuff... According to one of my friends, I'm not a heavy fan unless i like growling and assholes smacking their guitars randomly. He's a true heavy fan, in more ways than one :)
If that's actually how he phrased it then he's not a true fan either.

I already answered the question.

Tonimata

Jul 21, 2008
evilstonermonkey said:
Male and... yes, for the most part. It depends a little on the music itself, but if all you need is a generalised yes or no answer then yeah, I do.

I agree with someone's prior statement that you are going to get quite a skewed response here though - there is undoubtedly a bigger female base here than one might imagine, but it is still going to be predominantly male. If you are trying to get an idea of any statistical relationship between gender and liking heavy metal you might be better off using a sample group of 150 males and 150 female fans, instead of 300 mixed.

Also, why not use a poll? My first thought was that your initial decision to only take the first 300 responses was why (since you would not be able to limit the responses to 300 in the poll), but why limit the number of responses, especially in the same post you said you wanted as big a sample as possible. A poll would require much less reading through. And I believe it gives you the numbers as well as the percentages, so you should still be able to do all the calcs (e.g. "467 individuals volunteered for the survey, of whom 271 were male and 196 were female. Male participants were appear to be more likely to be heavy metal listeners, with 165 (61%) saying they were as compared to the 106 (54%) females fans.) Just my $0.02.
I agree with your points, but bear in mind, I have to present the numbers in the rawes form possible, ergo, number of males and females separately from the fact that they like metal or not. Also, you're right, I do contradict myself, I meant to say I want as big a population as possible before starting to do the counting (Friday night), and that I will only use the first 300 results. After that I will stop counting. Hope that solves your unease :)

EDIT: Also, bear in mind, this is for educational purposes (My end of year project) and it has no relevance or major importance whatsoever, so it doesn't matter if I get skewed results :)

Efrate

Apr 9, 2011
Male and yes, to a point. Some stuff is just garbage, but you can say that about any genre.

DonMartin

Apr 2, 2010
Male, and yeah, sure. Not all kinds, not all bands, but in general, yes. I enjoy metal.

AnarchyUK

Feb 3, 2011
Male
Not particularly, I let my friends put it on in the car if they are riding shotgun but I don't like it myself