Help me! I think I'm out of good anime to watch!

Dragoon

Jan 19, 2010
Other than the ones everyone else recommended I'll recommend Black Rock Shooter, a really stylish interesting character piece. Also you should give some comedies a try I recommend Beelzebub, Full Metal Panic! and Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt, especially the last one from a comedic standpoint, it is extremely vulgar humour but it's amazing, you just have to experience it.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Another vote for The Vision of Escaflowne. It should meet your requirements: no fanservice whatsoever, and very good characters. My favorite anime of all time.

And Berserk...maybe. I'd rather recommend just reading the manga, but most people seem to think that the anime is one of the greats, so there is that.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
I've been ninjad already but two that immediately pop into my mind that weren't on that list are Soul Eater and Full Metal Panic
Should give those two a shot

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
I came here to recommend Welcome To The NHK. Didn't work.

Someone already suggested Case Closed (I recommend that one a lot).

Great Teacher Onizuka is a good one, but might not fit your style. The same goes for Hayate The Combat Butler.

Edit: You're Under Arrest is awesome.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
Eden of the East - Japaenese tourist in America bumps into a naked amnesiac who accidentally takes her passport causing her to get tangled up in his problems. He discovers that he wiped his mind and has a mobile phone that both pays for stuff (he has an account with 8 billion yen) and connects him to an operator who will perform any request he ask. That is the premise in a nut shell.

Subbies

Dec 11, 2010
Lately I've been watching Psyco-Pass and Shinsekei yori. They're new and pretty good. So far they're the best anime I've seen this (and last) year.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
I think Azumanga daioh and Nichijou are sort of mandatory.
At least if you think you might have potential to enjoy slice of life humor.

Higurashi no naku koro ni is pretty cool, but weird.

Hellsing ultimate might be a bit shonen-y for your tastes, but it's good entertainment.

Now and then, here and there (ima, soko no iru boku) is pretty good.

Katanagatari is an interesting series. Sort of like samurai champloo but with a different art and story-telling style.

Mawaru penguindrum was... weird, but interesting. Worth checking out, but I can't guarantee you'll like it. I did though.

Panty and stocking with Garterbelt is brilliant Gainax madness. It's very sexualized, but I wouldn't call it fanservice.

Personally, I loved Steins; gate. It's about time travel, and it succeeds very well in telling the story, i.e., it isn't one of those series that shows promise in regards to story and then falls flat.

Usagi drop is nice for some mellow feel-good stuff. Not a lot of plot, but it's nice.

And I liked Toradora a decent bit. It looks like your average harem junk, but it isn't.

I liked Hyouka as well, but circumstances stopped me from completing it.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Gypsyssilver said:
'Full-metal Alchemist: Brotherhood'. If you've only watched the original series, is it worth checking out Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood? This version follows the manga (the original anime went off in its own direction).
I'd say it's not only worth it, the guy owes it to himself to watch Brotherhood.

Sam Warrior

Feb 13, 2010
Found this on reddit r/anime : http://imgon.net/di-9MZJ.jpg has a bunch of so far great anime, its a bit outdated but good for suggestions :) Hope this helps.

jwonno

Oct 30, 2011
Most of the best ones have already been mentioned but Kenichi: The Mightiest Disciple [http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=4596] is pretty good.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
Here you go [http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/8671/listp.jpg]. Have some fun marathoning your genre of choice.

necromanzer52

Mar 19, 2009
Well, if you liked mushi-shi, you've gotta check out an anime called Kino's journey. It's the same sort of thing, although Kino's more of an observer than Ginko.

You should also check out trigun and wolf's rain.

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
I find the lack of Akira really saddening. Go watch that, or read the manga. You know it's something when it defined anime for western audiences. Check it out, and prepare to be amazed. :)

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
I fully support everyone who suggested Serial Experiments Lain, Madoka Magica (don't let appearances fool you) and Monster.

Texnholyze is pretty good, too. Very depressing, though.

In terms of anime films give Jin-Roh a go. It's also very depressing, but still very good.

Steeveeo

Sep 2, 2008
A few of my recommended watches that may or may not be to your liking. Note, I know most of these will have been said by the time I post this, but these are my opinions on them. In no particular order:

- Last Exile: If you haven't seen it, it's a must-watch in my opinion. Great story, great visuals, awesome universe, and to top it all off: the English dub is actually quite good. There is a sequel, though, Last Exile: Fam the Silver Wing; however, it doesn't have anywhere near the same feel as the first, nor tone, nor quality. It's okay in its own right, but it doesn't seem like Last Exile at all except for some plot points.

- Eureka Seven: This is usually either a "Love it or Hate it" anime, from my experience. I have seen very few people who actually say that the show is mediocre, but plenty go into either camp of "IT'S SO GOOD" or "IT'S A PILE OF SHIT." I have not seen Astral Ocean yet, though, so I can't tell you about that one. Nevertheless, I found the story and universe to both be equal amounts of awesome, and it may LOOK like a mecha, but the robots actually end up serving a secondary role.

- Ergo Proxy: An outright mindfuck of a show. Not a mindfuck in a psychedelic way, but more in a "wtf is going on?!" kinda way. The show offers very little explanation of its plot, and each episode leaves out any lead-up to its current events (though sometimes they do have a couple flashbacks). It makes you think, and prompts you to watch it more than once to figure out what's going on, all while serving up some really well-done visuals. Also, Pino is a badass.

- Eden of the East: Nice thriller-style show about an amnesiac with a phone with a buttload of cash and a direct link to a mysterious organization that seems to be able to do just about anything asked of them, from murder in extravagant ways to other things that would be a spoiler to say.

- Sora wo Kakeru Shoujo (The Girl who Leapt Through Space): A halfway decent scifi show about a rogue colony ship and a girl who gets caught up in its mission. I would only recommend watching this one if you have nothing better to watch and/or are bored. It's rather cutesy at times and a couple of the characters irritate me, but I didn't hate the show. Also, Space Ship Sword/Chainsaw Fights, they are a thing in this show.

- Spice and Wolf: I still have to see the other seasons of this show. This one is basically an economic drama, which is an odd and boring title, but still fitting. A trader pretty much teams up with the guardian spirit of his village, who takes the form of a girl sporting a tail and wolf-like ears; shenanigans ensue. I always have trouble explaining this one to people, as the entire show should be really boring; it's about trading and the drama arising from monetary exchanges. Granted, there are plot points here and there where fights that may or may not involve magic and spirits break out. However, it's still really enthralling, the characters are well-written and likeable, and the story is just, well, really good.

- Black Lagoon: A Japanese businessman is on a cruise ship, carrying some documents for his company. Said cruise is then attacked by a pirate crew, and the businessman is captured and held for ransom. However, when the pirates make the demands to his company, they disavow him and leave him for dead. Instead of tossing him overboard, though, he convinces them to let him join their crew. This is a gritty drama about a city-born man becoming a ruthless pirate, and coming to terms with a life and a world that might kill him at any moment. My one gripe with this one is that the original Japanese voicing ends up doing a lot of forced English near the end for some reason, and it's just grating to the ears. But if you can push past that (or watch the English dub), then this is a really good watch.

- Gintama: A hilarious, way-out-there comedy show. It somehow pulls off vast numbers of references to other anime (since it's published by Shonen Jump, they can get away with a lot of stuff, like having Bleach all over the first episode) along with silly humor (most of which is not lost in translation, thankfully) without feeling horrendously forced. It also blends all that comedy with generally awesome action scenes that are surprisingly well-done. I would say, though, that this is not something you just sit down and watch from beginning to end, since it has something like 200 episodes now. Also, a lot of the episodes can stand on their own without needing too much of the backstory.

- Tower of Druaga: Essentially a parody of a lot of older-school RPGs. If anything, just watch the first episode; if that doesn't sell you on the show and have you laughing your ass off, then the show is not for you. Granted, they cool down a bit on the outright cliche-storm and get down to some story in the subsequent episodes, but it's still really funny.

I could keep going, but I have a feeling that this post is going to get TL;DR'd enough as it is, so I'll leave it at this.