Help save Fable!

Hunter65416

Oct 22, 2010
Ive recently started a thread on the lionhead forums (http://lionhead.com/forums/p/306662/3703945.aspx)

And created a petition (http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/help-save-the-fable-franchise.html)

The petiton is for all who loved and have fond memories the original on the xbox and pc.
This is for the people that enjoyed the original fable and want a sequel thats true to it and not another gimmicky shallow gaming experiance. You can help by signing the petition which i'll eventually send to lionhead and by spreading the word EVERYWHERE, Thanks

Remember, Best thing you can do is spread it,

Spread on the forums,Spread it on your Facebook,Spread it on your twiter, Spread it on your toast

ImProvGamr

Feb 2, 2012
I never really tried out the original Fable. I played II and enjoyed it somewhat, with all the stylish combat and an actually engaging story of revenge. Fable III on the other hand had some fairly neat design ideas but was hampered by a fairly awful narrative. Also, I couldn't really bring myself to sympathize with the Prince because... well... he was a prince. He was born expected to have priveldges of power instead of having to claw his way up or having power forced upon him. I'd rather feel like I got my respect and power by my own merits instead of an accident of birth.

Zelcor

May 13, 2009
Fable is one of my favorite games of all time. Fable 2 and 3 are some of the worst games of all time.

Lionhead sucks for this very fact, that and their refusal to expand the Black and White universe.

I'll never forgive them for these two things.

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
I went back to play Fable/TLC. It was definitely ahead of its time... the environment looks better than some of the stuff I see -today-.

It still works on my 360, and I even have it on PC.
I don't need to sign a petition to keep it around.

Parkway91

Sep 1, 2011
Fable TLC is among my top 5 games. I have Fable II on Xbox and was severely disappointed, I actually bought the Xbox just to play the 2nd and 3rd Fable games, I am PS3 man at heart and soul.

If there was a sequel the lived up to the awesomeness that is Fable TLC I would be a very happy man, and if they released it on PS3 too my mind would be blow to smithereens.

In Fable II clothing has no effect on armour rating and such, just on visual appeal/disgust to other NPCs, what the hell is that?? Gimme Dark Plate Mail and Demon Warrior Helmet andy day.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Oh look, an internet petition. Awesome! Those always get results!

"Save the Fable franchise"? Seriously? Leaving aside that Fable was basically stillborn, who are we saving it from? The guy who made it?

Oh, ohh, and what's this bit here? "Less comedy more drama to amplify a deeper, sometimes darker story that's true to the original Fable lore." Okay, now I'm starting to suspect that you're taking the piss.

Smiley Face

Jan 17, 2012
Fable was tremendous fun for me. I'm not sure, but it may have been one of the first RPGs I played, that or KotOR. Seeing as how I've more or less shifted to console gaming, I grabbed it up for the Xbox just because, and it was quite fun. It was definitely a different creature than Fables 2&3, with their big town focus supplanting the adventures of the untamed wilds, the more cartoony aesthetic replacing... well, whatever Fable TLC was, and the addition of the dog and the financial system distracting from what the heart and tone of the game should be.

That said, your petition isn't a very good one. What it says is on more than one instance inaccurate or unclear. 'Go back to its roots' is so vague it could mean anything. Fable's combat system has always been simple, and has in fact become more complicated in 2/3. The new games are also far more tied in to a clear, overarching narrative with clearly defined characters and character development, so your requests for more drama and more complex characters are ill-advised. The question of comedy is not how much it is but how it's presented - 2&3 present it with satirical happiness, while TLC was more black, gallows humour - it's in the presentation. The Graphics were, if anything, MORE colourful and vibrant in 2 than in TLC.

There are many things that made the original Fable great that have been lacking in 2&3. I just think that you've missed them.

The_Blue_Rider

Sep 4, 2009
I do wish that Fable 2 and 3 were more similar to one. Fable 2 was entertaining, but Fable 3 just pissed me off, it had a lot of good ideas that were just executed poorly. I.e The Evolving weapons, that was neat, but since the game was linear you would always end up with similar weapons.

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
I think more developers need to take a hit form Sucker Punch and just finish it. I am not just talking about Fable I mean as a whole.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Hunter65416 said:
Zhukov said:
who are we saving it from? The guy who made it?
Thats exactly who we're saving it from
Yeah... that's not how it works.

You do not own the property. You have no say in how it is made or developed. Declaring your desire to "save" it is just plain arrogant.

If you were to write a book and some nutcase showed up demanding you make changes to the manuscript in order to "save" it, do you really think you would be inclined to follow their advice?

If you really like the shallow and gimmicky game that was Fable TLC so much, then play that. It hasn't gone anywhere.

An internet petition with a dozen signatures isn't going to elicit results.

gideonkain

Nov 12, 2010
I did actually enjoy Fable 1 and completely hated 2 and 3...but you can't save something that's been butchered to death twice already.

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
Parkway91 said:
In Fable II clothing has no effect on armour rating and such, just on visual appeal/disgust to other NPCs, what the hell is that?? Gimme Dark Plate Mail and Demon Warrior Helmet andy day.
I thought that was one of the few improvements to the game.. It meant you could actually outfit your character however you wanted rather than having everyone who plays wearing the exact same thing.

OT: i doubt this petition will do anything given that fable 2 and 3 sold much better than 1 did and sales numbers are what they listen to rather than fans unfortunatly... but i'll sign it anyway just because i hope it will achieve its goal.

Hunter65416

Oct 22, 2010
Zhukov said:
Hunter65416 said:
Zhukov said:
who are we saving it from? The guy who made it?
Thats exactly who we're saving it from
Yeah... that's not how it works.

You do not own the property. You have no say in how it is made or developed. Declaring your desire to "save" it is just plain arrogant.

If you were to write a book and some nutcase showed up demanding you make changes to the manuscript in order to "save" it, do you really think you would be inclined to follow their advice?
Im not asking them to halt the production line and change everything, im trying to get collective advice from the fable community to lionhead on how they could make their next 'book' less shit. petitons can and have worked in the past, think when that error-laden mass effect book was released, people complained and bioware apologized and promised to personally correct the book themselves. If you dont like fable thats fine, dont sign the petition and carry on.

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
Fable 1 is probably my most played single player game ever. I loved that game and was extremely disappointed in Fable 2. Fable 3 was decent but I still preferred Fable 1. The odd thing is I can't really think of any major differences other then the change of the feel to it.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Zelcor said:
Fable is one of my favorite games of all time. Fable 2 and 3 are some of the worst games of all time.

Lionhead sucks for this very fact, that and their refusal to expand the Black and White universe.

I'll never forgive them for these two things.
This shall be forever known as...

Exactly what I was gonna post!

Fable (and fable TLC) are brilliant, good story, characters you enjoyed spending time with, quirky british humour all added up to a great game, one I still enjoy playing.

Fable 2 & 3 suck harder than a dyson!

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
Sorry, I don't care what you want to hear, but Fable was the biggest disappointment in my gaming life. Such a hype, such a letdown.
Goodluck with your petition, though.