Help save Fable!

Mayamellissa

Dec 3, 2011
RatRace123 said:
Yeah, that's what I thought it was too. Now that is something that I disagree with. In what way, aside from the license, does an on rails Kinect game resemble anything to do with Fable?

And, I actually liked 2 the best out of the series, but I will agree that 3 was fairly disappointing.
I loved 2. 3 was okay but lacked a certain bunch of things to make it re-playable to me. Loved the voice actors/acting in it but 3 had a sense of WTF and I couldn't really tell how evil/moral my choices were making me character's look. And during that first major decision that involves the love interest I ended up thinking: Does it really matter what I choose?

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Mayamellissa said:
I loved 2. 3 was okay but lacked a certain bunch of things to make it re-playable to me. Loved the voice actors/acting in it but 3 had a sense of WTF and I couldn't really tell how evil/moral my choices were making me character's look. And during that first major decision that involves the love interest I ended up thinking: Does it really matter what I choose?
Yeah, plus the part where you get to be King and make all the decisions. I don't think putting a traditional good/evil scale on that worked at all. And that's where the game really fell apart for me.

Hell, whenever you choose evil options it seems to vilify your subjects more than it does you. Those ungrateful bastards would rather have thousands of people die just so they can get their booze at a cheaper price.

I refuse to believe that a society would be so stupid that it wouldn't accept one year of hard living if it meant that they got to keep on living.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Um... quick question: why? First of all, how it can be saved will differ depending on who you ask, and secondly one has to consider if it's even worth saving at this point.

Mayamellissa

Dec 3, 2011
RatRace123 said:
Yeah, plus the part where you get to be King and make all the decisions. I don't think putting a traditional good/evil scale on that worked at all. And that's where the game really fell apart for me.

Hell, whenever you choose evil options it seems to vilify your subjects more than it does you. Those ungrateful bastards would rather have thousands of people die just so they can get their booze at a cheaper price.

I refuse to believe that a society would be so stupid that it wouldn't accept one year of hard living if it meant that they got to keep on living.
Let's face it: they messed up because Logan could have done everything you were forced to. He just didn't feel like it.

Project_Xii

Jul 5, 2009
Bah. Let it die, along with any other of Peter Molyneax's pretenious ventures. Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning did in one attempt what Fable tried to in three. Those are the guys we should be supporting.

burningdragoon

Warrior without Weapons
Jul 27, 2009
I liked the first Fable quite a bit, though I wouldn't rate among my favorites. I'mma comment on some of you points on the petition.

1: Go back to its roots
That itself is a fine desire, though I would think if the 2nd and 3rd games were different enough to warrent it, then its 'roots' don't really exist.

2: Less comedy more drama to amplify a deeper, sometimes darker story that's true to the original Fable lore.
Fable's aesthetics were mostly not 'dark' and the story was at times, but so were the others. As for comedy, Fable is a game where you impress girls to sleep with you by flexing your bicep over and over again, and you could fart at will. So a mix of dark stories with light-heard aesthetics has always been in Fable.

3: More complex characters
This also conflicting with #1. Do you really remember Fable for its complex characters?

4: Basic repetitive 4 Button combat scrapped, A new Deeper, Completely Revamped Combat system to take its place.
Scrapping an old system to make a "completely revamped" one is both not helpful in the least and conflicts with #1.

5: A return to the Fable 1/2 experience system or even better, a new deeper experience system.

Again, saying "do it like you used to, or do it better" is not helpful and does nothing for looking like a well thought out idea.

6: Graphics should no longer be gritty, they should be more vibrant and fantasy-esque.

I thought the graphics/aesthetics have been fairly similar between each game, but I can see at least some movement towards more 'realistic' so fair enough point I guess.

7: More gameplay elements, (Think the quest in which you gain the fire-heart from the prophets)

Again, this doesn't really mean anything.

8: Remove the dog in order to regain the lone adventurer feeling as in the original fable. add an optional quest in which you can gain a dog.

Whoossaagoodawg? Yesyoossagoodawg! Er um... I suppose that's a fair desire.

9: Balance out the combat, Overall the game should be harder than all 3 Fable games, Prehaps slightly harder than Fable 1 by default, add a difficulty slider in the game settings. Using Magic in Fable 3 feels on the verge of cheating.
Another not very strong point, and also kind of moot, because no designer wants their game to be unbalanced.

So anyway, the real problem with your petition is not that you liked the older game better. I mean, how many people think about how much better some games used to be or thought a game could have totally done a sequel justice just by doing these things you think of? All of them, all the people.

The problem is really not being very well thought out with little focus and some contradictory ideas. I guess the other problem is thinking you could actually pull of something like this, but we all have dreams.

For the record, I'm not trying to be jerk here

Andaxay

Thinking with Portals
Jun 4, 2008
No offense, but this seems like a weak petition. Why? Countless people are disappointed by sequel(s) after enjoying the first or perhaps second game in a series (I enjoyed Fable II a lot but hated III). If a petition was started by everyone feeling disappointed in the direction a franchise was going, we'd be drowning in the things.

Good luck, though. If it produces any results I'm prepared to be bowled over.

IPunchWithMyFists

Feb 14, 2011
Why would anyone want to do this? The original Fable still exists, got two re-releases, Fable: The Lost Chapters and Fable 2 and Fable 3 effectively showed that any innovation in the tired, unimaginative formula would only serve to do absolutely jack shit that was worth anything.

If there's an imaginative, not dumb bone left in Peter Molyneux he'll abandon the franchise (and his one second game idea thing) and make something new. To hell with Fable.

I did like the first one though.

Mr Companion

Jul 27, 2009
zombieshark6666 said:
Aw, I was hoping they said they were cancelling the franchise forever. :(
A man can dream, huh?
But nobody can save Peter and Lionhead from destroying what they love, not even common sense and every video game reviewer in the world.

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
I think it's safe to say Fable is over and done with.

How about Lionhead brings back one of their most ambitious and creative titles?

Black and White, anyone?

shimyia

Oct 1, 2010
Fable:The Lost Chapters is my fav RPG ever...
wouldn't mind seeing another Fable as good as the first :D

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
Why bother? Lionhead and Molyneux would turn Fable 4 into a fart and handclap simulator if you let them.

Only Fable 1/TLC was nice. Time to move on.
Amalur Reckoning is the new Fable, like Serious Sam is the new Duke. Look for alternatives.

Jaeke

Feb 25, 2010
Limecake said:
I don't see the hate for Fable 2, it was by far my favorite of the franchise it took what was good in the first game and expanded on it. added new things and allowed for a wider range of customization.

Fable was good but not great, I played it and enjoyed it but for the most part it wasn't an amazing game, it was way too short and fairly shallow in the stuff we take for granted nowadays (side stuff, stuff to spend money on) not to mention you had next to no control on how your character looked (you couldn't even be a girl)

Fable III was terrible though, it took everything I liked about 2 (expanded world, more freedom to do what you wanted) and threw it out the window. Not to mention the whole king thing was stupid, why can't we deal with all my promises after the apocalypse?

so if you're looking for a sequel to the first game I can't help you, I always thought it was overrated and shallow.

but I've always been pretty disappointed with Lionhead studios (looking at you black and white)
Thank you my friend, i was about to say, i thoroughly loved Fable and I enjoyed Fable 2 even more. Especially since Fable just became a constant rotation of mana potions, berserk mode, and mashing the B button over and over and over.... Not to say it wasnt excellent, like I said I loved it, but the one thing about Fable that i absoulutely hated was the aging process, it pissed me off so much. I wanted my guy to stay young forever.

Jaeke

Feb 25, 2010
Abandon4093 said:
George Barrow said:
Limecake said:
I don't see the hate for Fable 2, it was by far my favorite of the franchise it took what was good in the first game and expanded on it. added new things and allowed for a wider range of customization.

Fable was good but not great, I played it and enjoyed it but for the most part it wasn't an amazing game, it was way too short and fairly shallow in the stuff we take for granted nowadays (side stuff, stuff to spend money on) not to mention you had next to no control on how your character looked (you couldn't even be a girl)

Fable III was terrible though, it took everything I liked about 2 (expanded world, more freedom to do what you wanted) and threw it out the window. Not to mention the whole king thing was stupid, why can't we deal with all my promises after the apocalypse?

so if you're looking for a sequel to the first game I can't help you, I always thought it was overrated and shallow.

but I've always been pretty disappointed with Lionhead studios (looking at you black and white)
^This, this, A THOUSAND TIMES THIS
The thing I disliked about it was the significant drop in power and the lack of any kind of threatening antagonist.

I mean I wasn't expecting them to top Jack of Blades, but something better than an old posh git with dreams of grandeur would have been nice.
Really? because I very accurately remember that you get pushed out of a damn building from 100 or so feet within 5 minutes of the game.
not to mention that bastard killed your dog!