Here Comes 2014

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Monument's Men, Noah and Interstellar sound good/interesting. All the bullshit superhero sequels should be fun to watch/criticize.

XDravond

Something something....
Mar 30, 2011
Hadn't heard of "Guardians of the Galaxy" until the past week or so when I saw a picture on Reddit and well I were sold in about 2 sek aliens, raccoon, Marvel... This is going to be good... unless they screw up completely...

It seems to be at least a few good movies in the coming year...

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
hermes200 said:
no more Shia LaBeouf, a promise to be "less goofy" from Michael Bay...
Ok, might be interesting.
...The freakin' DINOBOTS
Aaaaand, you lost me there, Bob.

Sorry, but "less goofy" doesn't sit well with the Dinobots concept in the same phrase. At this point I would rather take a) A movie that drops the Dinobots (or any other series exclusively made to sell toys on top of all the other series exclusively made to sell toys built on top of 3 movies) entirely, or b) Micheal Bay fully embracing goofy, just not his version of goofy. His is just bad.
Hey now, I can totally see a gritty Grimlok. A genius autobot who by some accident or nefarious Decepticon scheme loses his intelligence and yet retains memory of who he used to be, forced into a shell of his former self? What pathos, what catharsis... Of course Michael Bay may not pull that off unless he decides to secretly hire Christopher Nolan to write his script under a pen-name...

Burnouts3s3

Jan 20, 2012
Bob, I'm confused how you can be excited for ANY movie with the name Michael Bay attached to it. Yeah, Pain and Gain was alright, but Bay's record with the Transformers is not impressive.

Ashley Blalock

Sep 25, 2011
The Marvel movies could be fun and I'm going out on the crazy limb to hope this time they can do Godzilla right. But honestly it feels like Hollywood is playing it too safe which will result in some bland forgettable films.

Although come on Bob. Transformers is the same production team that gave us the last three crappy Transformers films. I just don't think a change in the human cast will be enough to fix everything wrong with the live action franchise. They haven't even "announce leaked" anything about the Decepticons so once again the heroes will easily roll over the bad guys for a film with zero tension. Ouch and with Megan Fox having zero acting ability combined with the train wreck track record of Platinum Dunes gives me zero hope for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Turtles will not even be worth a free rental.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
RTK1576 said:
I'm adding How To Train Your Dragon 2 to the mix. I really enjoyed the first one, and the trailers for the sequel look promising. Call me cautiously optimistic.
Realistically that should be a terrifying movie, I mean they're Vikings. The world was safe while they were focused on their war against the dragons, but now that threat is gone and they all have flying dragon mounts... the rest of the world is totally going to get raped & pillaged all to hell.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
For the movies I'm interested in seeing what Interstellar will be, and am totally pumped for Guardians of the Galaxy. I've never been familiar with them from the comics but it looks like it could be a hell of a lot of fun. Especially when you already have people coming out to trash it for looking ridiculous, I'm guessing they're more Dark Knight than Avengers fans!

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
vid87 said:
"Guardians" gets annihilated at the box office by "50 Shades of Grey" (coming out around the same time, I think even the same day!)
Setting aside the complexities of movie scheduling, I would not view the two as competing any more than Sex and the City versus Iron Man. One will be aimed primarily at older women (Grey) while the other is likely to be regarded as more family fare, attracting younger and more male audiences.

Also, call me on the fence about Robocop. Yes, I'm disappointed in the PG-13 rating essentially getting rid of the ultraviolence that the series is partially known for, but the trailers have made me less worried over time about the movie itself, particularly the "unpainted" versions that very similar to the original and a storyline that appears centered around the same kind of "evil corporation v. Robocop" that I particularly enjoyed. Plus, the past few years have shown just how violent you can really get with a PG-13 rating.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
RTK1576 said:
I'm adding How To Train Your Dragon 2 to the mix. I really enjoyed the first one, and the trailers for the sequel look promising. Call me cautiously optimistic.
Oh man, I totally forgot about that movie. MovieBob rarely does the kid movies it seems, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised it wasn't on his list. But yeah, I'm looking forward to that one.

I couldn't agree more with X-Men First Class. I was so excited when I saw a trailer for it. Legions of mutants are going to be in it. Is that Bishop? Oh yes! Wait, what are you doing? Wolverine is once again going to be in charge of saving the day? No, please don't. You have all these other characters that you've barely touched. Stop. Please stop. No, don't make him the one to go back and...damn.
I am so tired of the X-Men movies (and many of the cartoon series) being about Wolverine and the others just being supporting cast. Sigh.

Two-A

Aug 1, 2012
Kumagawa Misogi said:
Sorry Bob but audiences disagree with you about how the direction of the X-men films should go with "first Class" being the 2nd lowest grossing (after the first) and least profitable X-men film while "The Wolverine" is both 2nd highest grossing (after "The Last Stand") and 2nd most profitable (after X2).

Guardians of the Galaxy this years Lone Ranger at least in regards to how much money it's going to lose :)
The Wolverine did that good? Man that is dissapointing.

I'm hoping Guardians will be interesting to see, at the very least.

AstaresPanda

Nov 5, 2009
Transformers......i really really wish for it to be worth my time and price of ticket but...... :(

Transformers 1 i could forgive for its setting the stage blah blah blah. Then they just took a big steaming shit on the source material. How can a movie called THE TRANSFORMERS be more focused on some dumbass love story and human cliche's then a fucking giant robot civil war spanning 100's of years. The fuck.The Fuck.

X-men i have high hopes for as its Days of Future past. BUT then when i was reading and it said it'll prob focus more of wolverine, yeeeeeaah i really hope it does not, im sick of him now and his 2 origin movies sucked ass. What happend to that Maginto Origins movie ? Did they not have a plan at some point to start a origins thing.

300, yeh no need really but i guess with spartacus being so popular its time to milk that era abit more. 1st was not bad, it was a graphic novel. Was fun, and over the time. Did not get stupid.

I just want a warhammer 40k movie ^.^ Ultramarines sucked so much ass but what do you really think will happen from the people who make lego movies lol. Here hopes Lord Inquisitor comes out this year.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
SecondPrize said:
Some of those could be interesting. I've never heard about the lego movie but your description begs the question, is there some advantage to using cgi to recreate stop motion over just using stop motion? Also, while I am willing to concede theoretically that it is possible to not have liked Monsters, how the hell can you not like monsters?
The only thing I can think of is that it's likely CGI animation skills don't quite carry over to stop-motion, and they'd have to get a completely different team if they'd want real stop-motion. Or they just really like their (non)stop-motion style.

AstaresPanda said:
300, yeh no need really but i guess with spartacus being so popular its time to milk that era abit more. 1st was not bad, it was a graphic novel. Was fun, and over the time. Did not get stupid.
I really enjoyed 300 for brazenly cranking everything up to eleven, but its ending really reminds me of The Matrix - mostly in just how much it doesn't need a sequel.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
I don't get out much these days but there are two films I will see in the cinema this year. One is Muppets Most Wanted, hey it's a Muppet film, and the last one was a serious return to form. The other is The Lego Movie, what really sold me on this was Ninteen Eighty Something Space Guy and the crack in the chin piece of his helmet. These guys know Lego. Also Will Arnett should be Batman in all media from now on.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
Interstellar is the only thing I'm looking forward to. All I know about it is that it seems to be actually science fiction and not just a western with spaceships.

vid87

May 17, 2010
The Gentleman said:
vid87 said:
"Guardians" gets annihilated at the box office by "50 Shades of Grey" (coming out around the same time, I think even the same day!)
Setting aside the complexities of movie scheduling, I would not view the two as competing any more than Sex and the City versus Iron Man. One will be aimed primarily at older women (Grey) while the other is likely to be regarded as more family fare, attracting younger and more male audiences.
I'd like to point out first, and with no snark or meanness intended, that what I posted was semi-sarcastic just for fun - I just thought it'd be pretty cool if a somewhat wild prediction came true (granted the Intersteller one might not be that far-fetched - should've said it would be god-awful). That said, Iron Man 3 may have "won" 2013, but Hunger Games 2 posted the 3rd largest box office worldwide ($400 million difference, sure, but there it is) and is set ot surpass IM3 in the domestic box office. I'm not disagreeing with you at all, but I get the feeling, however slight, that between "Guardians" being the "risky" venture and the buzz around "50" including an internet meltdown that the cast was changed, I imagine we're in for a few surprises, even if it doesn't go as far as I "predicted."

Somebloke

Aug 5, 2010
Wow, certainly didn't expect to begin 2014 with a pang of sympathy for Michael Bay, of all people (regarding his buckling under nerves at CES).

Tim Chuma

Jul 9, 2010
Not that many really, I did not see many general release movies last year.

The Raid 2: Berandal
https://vimeo.com/83007310

Still a while to go in post, the director nearly got cleaned up in a car stunt.

The Monkey King
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHRbCTWDKGE

Donnie Yen plays Sun Wu Kong (Monkey King) fighting all of Heaven. Was held back a year to add more special effects after the Stephen Chow "Conquering the Demons" movie.

Should be out around Chinese New Year (end of January)

The Search for Weng Weng
A friend's documentary about the world's shortest leading man, Weng Weng and supporting characters including Imelda Marcos.

Dude Bro Party Massacre 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMKMXGozst0

I put in money for it, quite a lot by my own standards. I am also looking forward to my own 5sf as part of the pledge.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
Bob neglected to mention Big Hero 6, the next entry in the Disney Animated Canon, based on a Marvel comic! For shame!