Here Is The G.I. Joe Film You've Been Waiting For

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Here Is The G.I. Joe Film You've Been Waiting For

It's Joe vs. Cobra vs. the Predator! What's not to love?

Let's be honest about something: G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra <a href=http://www.metacritic.com/movie/gi-joe-the-rise-of-cobra>was pretty much a giant middle finger from Hollywood to ... well, everyone, but especially those of us who grew up in the 1980s watching the animated series. Two years later, it looks like a fan has succeeded where The Rise of Cobra failed with Operation: Red Retrieval. He's created a live-action G.I. Joe movie that is gritty, fun, violent, and slightly ridiculous.

The entire 21-minute film is now available on YouTube and I don't want to spoil too much, other than saying that it contains some pretty delightful "ninja versus Predator" (yes, that Predator) action. It's both over-the-top and addictive, sort of like Warren Ellis's masterpiece <a href=http://www.amazon.com/G-I-Joe-Resolute-Widescreen-Duke/dp/B002NXSRWK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322028020&sr=8-1>G.I. Joe: Resolute (which, by the way, you should totally watch).

Director Mark Cheng explained that the crossover stems from his childhood playtime session:

The other thing I wanted to capture is that feeling from when I was 8 years old lying the floor with my action figures. I'd line up my GI Joe figures next to my Star Wars figures next to my He-Man figures and next to my Autobot Transformers. It didn't matter that the toys were of a different scale, possessed inexplicable powers, came from different brands, or lived in different universes. The ONLY things that mattered was that Good was about to defeat Evil, and that it was going to be SOOOO AWESOMEEEE.

Hopefully Hasbro doesn't force Cheng to take the movie down and that he manages to attract some Hollywood attention for his creativity and passion. Oh, and that nobody ever lets another Wayans brother near the G.I. Joe franchise ever again.

Source: <a href=http://www.toplessrobot.com/2011/11/if_knowing_is_half_the_battle_death_and_violence_i.php>Topless Robot

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
vansau said:
Let's be honest about something: G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra was pretty much a giant middle finger from Hollywood to ... well, everyone, but especially those of us who grew up in the 1980s watching the animated series.
I'm getting mixed signals here. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/866-G-I-Joe-The-Rise-of-Cobra] Still, it's nice to see this sort of things approached from different angles. Now let's just hope for a Transformers movie/show that isn't nostalgia rape. Maybe something more like the new Thundercats show. That wasn't handled too badly.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
I rather enjoyed the G.I. Joe movie. It didn't make much sense mind you but it was pretty much everything people had been saying G.I. Joe was, an over the top military machismo display of super science and super villainy. Though of course, what remake of an 80's cartoon series isn't considered a middle finger affront to all things nostalgic the minute people learn it's going to be live action. I'll side with people that the Transformers movies are steaming heaps of crap, but I can't say the same about GI Joe.

Since it's going to take all night for the video to buffer on my shit connection I'm going to hazard a guess (based on the screen grab provided by YouTube) that since it's gritty that automatically makes it the shining tribute to the poorly animated, campy PSA, and over the top american patriotism wank fest that was GI Joe. (or Modern Battlefield 7: The Movie, with the names changed to be G.I. Joe characters)

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Uh, Last I checked, most people enjoyed the GI Joe movie, Movie Bob included. So I have no idea what you're talking about. It's always been over the top crazy.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
vansau said:
Hopefully Hasbro doesn't force Cheng to take the movie down and that he manages to attract some Hollywood attention for his creativity and passion.
Well, Hasbro has a mixed track record regarding such things. For example, Eric Fensler's GI Joe PSA parodies were taken down in 2004 because Hasbro sent him a "cease and desist" letter (though the videos have since resurfaced on Youtube). However, the people responsible for My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic have been very supportive of the "brony" fanbase and their various creations and parodies. They've even made a few shout-outs to them in the show itself.

Oh shit...

My point is that Hasbro appears to be more supportive of fan creations than they have in the past. I think they've come to realize that it essentially amounts to free advertizing for them.

LordRoyal

May 13, 2011
This was an... okay adaptation. The effects were nice, the acting was generic and the stunts were actually quite good for a 20 minute film on this budget.

But really as soon as Predator appeared I face palmed, and the ending just made me go "Really?" There's over the top and then there's just plain silly.

OtherSideofSky

Jan 4, 2010
...I really didn't think that The Rise of Cobra was that bad. I saw it in the theater with a friend and we both thought it was a pretty enjoyable silly action movie. It had a good variety of different action scenes and you could actually see what was going on, unlike most big budget Hollywood movies these days. I didn't think it was good enough to own, but if it pisses you off so much just because it wasn't exactly like the old cartoon, which wasn't exactly a masterpiece of film making itself, you really need to take off those nostalgia goggles for a bit.

As for the short, it's pretty good for a fan film. While I can understand why they'd go for the "grim and gritty" look (it's much cheaper after all, and it's not like they're getting paid for this), I much prefer a more colorful and cartoon-ish approach (the original show was even sillier than the Transformers, after all). I do appreciate the "and then everyone from everything ever" sensibility of it, though.

Inferno_622

May 28, 2010
I'm starting to get a little tired of Escapist contributors adopting a "popular" sort of opinion (at least when said opinion is making fun of something/somebody else) in their articles. It just stinks of "hey, hey, we dislike the same things, we're the *REAL* nerds, check out our fanclub, screw you Marlon!" instead of the contributor's actual opinion.

Comando96

May 26, 2009
Neverhoodian said:
My point is that Hasbro appears to be more supportive of fan creations than they have in the past. I think they've come to realize that it essentially amounts to free advertizing for them.
Or people to hire and actually help them create stuff... you know... like hire these guys to make an entire film!
If they embrace that, and it pays off, in the future we may get less Draconian killings off of NON-PROFIT fan material.

--------------

Just...don't included any of the stuff in the last 3 minutes as thats some liable shit right there if your making a profit :p

D Moness

Left the building
Sep 16, 2010
Eri said:
Uh, Last I checked, most people enjoyed the GI Joe movie, Movie Bob included. So I have no idea what you're talking about. It's always been over the top crazy.
I find it really funny people complaining about the live-action movie being totally over the top and very unbelievable. More or less claiming that the original animation wasn't over the top. Except for the supersuits it is more or less the same as the original animation.

Same as people claiming the G1 transformers is the best ever made. I own them and seen them again and they are not as perfect as people remember. Sometime people talk about nostalgia with long running game series but some people are worse with 80's animation.

I mean if people complain about the movies story they should read the storylines of the mini-series they are even more impossible then the live action movie.

Cobra develops an experimental teleportation unit, known as the MASS device, which has the ability to transport matter to any global location, using a satellite to relay the teleportation beam. G.I. Joe must stop Cobra by creating a MASS system of their own, but first must gather the three rare elements that power the device, which consist of radioactive crystals, heavy water found in the depths of the ocean, and fragments from a giant meteorite.
If that sounds more realistic then the movie then maybe you should turn of your nostalgia

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Scars Unseen said:
I'm getting mixed signals here. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/866-G-I-Joe-The-Rise-of-Cobra]
Moviebob doesn't represent the whole of the Escapist, let alone movie fans,

To RoC's credit, I actually sat through it. At 20 minutes, I cannot sat the same for this fan film.

Ubermetalhed

Sep 15, 2009
Um...the G.I. Joe film was extremely entertaining. I didn't grow up with the toys or cartoon or whatever but it was a campy tongue in cheek action film and well... it was actually very good.

Also why are all these articles written in such an opinionated way. Just put that the film was met by mixed reviews with some saying blah and some saying whatever. Bias is just irritating.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
LordRoyal said:
This was an... okay adaptation. The effects were nice, the acting was generic and the stunts were actually quite good for a 20 minute film on this budget.

But really as soon as Predator appeared I face palmed, and the ending just made me go "Really?" There's over the top and then there's just plain silly.
Well it was said the basic idea was what would happen if you mixed G.I.Joe action figures with toys from other brands and series.

It was quite good, I look forward to the next one.

YodaUnleashed

Jun 11, 2010
Despite not liking and or caring for G.I Joe or Predator, that was still fairly entertaining. It's the sequel hook at the end which was the best moment for me.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
Well, since this article is about stating opinions, allow me to add mine.

That short was absolutely terrible, and The Rise of Cobra was rather entertaining and I enjoyed it.