Here we go again: Anita Sarkeesian and the gaming community

grey_space

Magnetic Mutant
Apr 16, 2012
ninja666 said:
To be honest, a little feminism in a game that's already about a good woman kicking evil men's asses isn't gonna make that much difference, even with Anita Sarkesian in the team.
I agree. Sure what harm can it do?

And she's now actually becoming part of the creative process of a game. Something her detractors were constantly harping on about. Fair play to her.

She's complained about things in the gaming industry, and now she's putting her money where her mouth is and stepping up and trying to change things from within, in a small way.

Like I said, fair play, and I'd be genuinely interested in learning about her feedback about the whole process, even though lately I've kinda lost interest in the whole feminist frequency/gamergate thing.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
TheKasp said:
Oh, I know that he is producer and co-writer. The claim is that he is the writer and that Anita "is being told what to say and how to say it", which I'd say both implies that she neither writes any of her series nor has any say in delivery or content.
This page and his Twitter are usually claimed as sources, which goes to your issue of them learning English to better understand. Assuming they're not doing this intentionally, or just parroting others.

I wasn't sure if you were aware he's credited, but this is something Kardalis has been corrected on several times.

SilverLion

May 11, 2013
Anita Sarkeesian is a hack.
I support what she is standing for, and think that she is right sometimes, but I don't support her. She's let her fame go to her head and she is actually in my eyes a bit of a misandrist. EVERY time that a women is depicted in a negative light, even if it would make perfect sense to do so she decries it as "sexist".
Anita? Equal depiction of women means that as well as strong, good female characters we need to have evil women characters and utter assholes that just happen to be women. That's what "equal" means- all parts are EQUAL, with none exceeding the other. If all we do is put women on a pedestal then that means women and men are not equal because women are constantly placed in a superior position to men. It's good that she wants women to be better represented but she is honestly starting to get too famous for her own good and it is letting her say whatever she wants without people calling her out on it, and because she stands behind the banner of "equal rights" we are not allowed to call her out on her behaviour without being labelled as sexist.
Malcolm X actually advocated black separatism, which is basically reverse apartheid and stated that blacks where superior to whites. If he was a white dude we would call him a racist pig but since he hid behind the banner of civil rights (incidentally disgracing other, true civil rights leaders like Martin Luther King and Jesse Jackson) he's seen as one of the most important civil rights leaders of all time.
Anita Sarkeesian's cause is just, but as the public figurehead of it she is turning it into just another supremacist organization. Ban me from the site if you want, but I stand behind actual feminists who wants us all to be equal and not a hack who thinks that the only equality is supremacy of a different kind.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
Can't help but notice you still haven't told him where Jim gets flaky.
I explained.
He'll support criticism of certain practices and advocate for consumer rights.....until his friends are involved.
http://imgur.com/a/hHLaP

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Lovely Mixture said:
I explained.
He'll support criticism of certain practices and advocate for consumer rights.....until his friends are involved.
http://imgur.com/a/hHLaP
I'm not sure what you think that link shows, but I'm not seeing it. This is probably one of those things that needs to be mansplained, though, like most of Gamergate. You haven't really answered him, you've given some vague non-committal answer and balked at clarification.

Meanwhile, you're ignoring Gearbox.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
SilverLion said:
Anita Sarkeesian's cause is just, but as the public figurehead of it she is turning it into just another supremacist organization.
Can't help but notice that none of those claims are actually rooted in her stances.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
I'm going to er on the side of please don't mess up a series i like for what ever reason

AetherWolf

Jan 1, 2011
Gamer babies collectively throwing tantrums and pissing their diapers over misinformation due to lack of basic research? Extremely obvious fake tweets and 4chan used as primary sources? Even MORE "Anita is going to take away muh precious vidya games" conspiracies? "Misandry"? ACTUAL PETITIONS? Oh my god, thank you. I really needed that laugh today.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
AetherWolf said:
Gamer babies collectively throwing tantrums and pissing their diapers over misinformation due to lack of basic research? Extremely obvious fake tweets and 4chan used as primary sources? Even MORE "Anita is going to take away muh precious vidya games" conspiracies? "Misandry"? ACTUAL PETITIONS? Oh my god, thank you. I really needed that laugh today.
This isn't about the truth. It's about ethics in games journalism.

And raging about women feminists witches Anita Sarkeesian the totally not made up war on gamers.

lapan

Jan 23, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
AetherWolf said:
This isn't about the truth. It's about ethics in games journalism.

And raging about women feminists witches Anita Sarkeesian the totally not made up war on gamers.
Noone is going to come into a thread about Anita Sarkeesian to discuss journalism ethics. All you are gonna get in here are "i agree with everything she says", "i agree with her side, but not her points" or the occasional trolls.

Taking the trolls such a topic attracts as representative of gamergate is rather insincere.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
lapan said:
All you are gonna get in here are "i agree with everything she says", "i agree with her side, but not her points" or the occasional trolls.
Ignoring the sheer amount of butthurt and outrage in here, of course. But then....

Taking the trolls such a topic attracts as representative of gamergate is rather insincere.
Dismissing anyone who's outraged over Anita Sarkeesian, especially when so many of them are the vocal GG supporters is completely insincere. You have no grounds on which to talk sincerity, friend. I mean, seriously, doesn't it bother you that your model doesn't match up with reality?

lapan

Jan 23, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
Dismissing anyone who's outraged over Anita Sarkeesian, especially when so many of them are the vocal GG supporters is completely insincere. You have no grounds on which to talk sincerity, friend. I mean, seriously, doesn't it bother you that your model doesn't match up with reality?
Trolls are usually vocal. Doesn't mean that they are representative of anything, and like i said, noone actually caring only about "journalism ethics" is going to touch these threads either way

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
lapan said:
Trolls are usually vocal. Doesn't mean that they are representative of anything, and like i said, noone actually caring only about "journalism ethics" is going to touch these threads either way
Then, by your account, Gamergate is predominantly trolls. I'm fine with that. I mean, I think it's disingenuous and likely a "no true Scotsman" fallacy, but I'm fine with that.

Though I would totally agree that Gamergate isn't interested in ethics in journalism, I just don't think that's where you're trying to go with this. Unfortunately, with so many of the Gamergaters being involved in threads like this, it's the actual conclusion.