Here we go again! Don't even bother reading this..

TriSarahTops

Feb 19, 2009
Ok ok i get it... I dont fit in, i do understand these things. but i try so hard to make people like me and all i get is a face full of shit. I appreciate any form of compliment from anyone so long they aren't fucking with me.
I'm socially awkward but, i really try not to be, but no matter what i say i always end up upsetting somebody. I've been bullied alot throughout my school years. It was torture. I'm genuinely nice to most people unless they look or act stupid. ive have high standards in people is all. if i can't talk to you about whats on my mind then you aren't worth it. i dont want to talk about what colour britney spears dyed her hair this week. There are more important things in life. *sigh*
i generally keep my thoughts to myself because they are too crazily in depth to talk about with anyone except maybe my boyfriend, who makes me feel inferior (unintentionally) due to his vast intellect. we have good conversations though. its hard for me to talk to people in the first place, they all so differnet to me but also very much the same.

I've always enjoyed computer and console games and thats how i became seclusive (being an only-child didnt help), that and i moved alot so it was hard for me to keep friends when i was young. (sorry for the rant) But come on, people are so incredibly mean and cynical everywhere i go, i cant help to hate everyone. no one seems to be able to take a joke these days... and yeah i sort of forgot where i was going with this.. i'm sorry guys, i guess some tips would be handy..

How can i stop freaking people out?
first impression are everything and i always fuck those up. i think im just too friendly and i scare people.
Yeah i lost the entire point of this thread sorry but im still posting it... dont burn me for it

i guess ill just rant on here everytime i have something worth sharing with some intellectual people.....
sorry again for being a waste of space

curlycrouton

Jul 13, 2008
I have one key piece of advice for you.

Learn how to small talk. Yes, it's pointless, trivial and dull, but it forms a base upon which you can build up a conversation (I appear to be getting a bit scientific here). Ask someone how their weekend went, what plans they have, something in the news, anything.

As Charlie Brooker put it, "Small talk is like pointless noises that humans make. Cows moo, humans small talk".

And another thing, make them feel as if you actually care about what they're saying (even if you don't). Otherwise they'll come away thinking you're arrogant or smug.

stevetastic

Oct 22, 2008
sucks to be you.
if you think you gonna make a bad impression you will make one, i know you cannot help it but it true.

hotacidbath

Mar 2, 2009
I'd just say stop trying so hard to get people to like you. If you come on too aggressive it just throws people off.

Mask of 1000 Faces

Feb 28, 2009
TheNecroswanson said:
Welcome to my world.
Tip: Stop trying to please others. It only ends badly.
Tip 2: 90% of people are idiots. 5% will make you feel stupid without even trying.
Tip 3: Social Distortion has a song with a line, "How can you love, when you don't love yourself", it seems like your problems go deeper then simply having trouble relating to people. As per Tip 1, trying to make a "good" first impression is superficial to the max. If people won't like you for who you are that's their problem.
Tip 4: Life sucks. Then you have to work for a living. Then you die.
Tip 5: You are who you are, fuck everyone else.
Amen.

curlycrouton said:

Learn how to small talk. Yes, it's pointless, trivial and dull, but it forms a base upon which you can build up a conversation (I appear to be getting a bit scientific here). Ask someone how their weekend went, what plans they have, something in the news, anything.

As Charlie Brooker put it, "Small talk is like pointless noises that humans make. Cows moo, humans small talk".

And another thing, make them feel as if you actually care about what they're saying (even if you don't). Otherwise they'll come away thinking you're arrogant or smug.
YES. Shooting-The-Shit as it's also said is the quickest way to jump into friendships.

Example:

There's a Subway (sandwitch shop just in case there isn't one near you) literally ten feet from my work. For the first time in a long time I decided to buy lunch there (since I actually had money for a change). When I entered, the employee looked rather sad, so I simply asked him what was wrong. He gave me a rather suprised look and went into a short story about how 3 of his friends wanted to hang out, but none of them wanted to go with the other 2, and they all took offense if he blew them off.

I suggested going with the one who had proven to be a "better friend" in the past.

He smiled and agreed, and for the next half hour we talked about relationships and games and what not.

Before I left I actually remembered to order a sandwitch, and the guys there liked me so much after our chat, they gave me a discount of 8 dollars off my sandwitch.

It's not super hard, it just takes some pratice.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
From the look of your profile you are of school age so I am assuming you mean classmates and such.

TriSarahTops said:
Ok ok i get it... I dont fit in, i do understand these things. but i try so hard to make people like me and all i get is a face full of shit. I appreciate any form of compliment from anyone so long they aren't fucking with me.

Don't try to make people like you. Act how you feel comfortable with and if people don't like you for it then they probably are not worth your time.

I'm socially awkward but, i really try not to be, but no matter what i say i always end up upsetting somebody.

This is probably because you are trying too hard not to. Relax, it seriously makes things easier.

I've been bullied alot throughout my school years. It was torture.

I know how that feels, but there really is no valid advice that can be given to deal with it...

I'm genuinely nice to most people unless they look or act stupid. ive have high standards in people is all. if i can't talk to you about whats on my mind then you aren't worth it. i dont want to talk about what colour britney spears dyed her hair this week. There are more important things in life. *sigh*

Sadly most people only care about crap like that it seems. There are always a few who don't, keep an eye out for them.

i generally keep my thoughts to myself because they are too crazily in depth to talk about with anyone except maybe my boyfriend, who makes me feel inferior (unintentionally) due to his vast intellect. we have good conversations though. its hard for me to talk to people in the first place, they all so differnet to me but also very much the same.

Maybe you should talk to him about all this? Also don't assume he is smarter and you have to feel inferior, you don't seem like a stupid person and should never think that way.

I've always enjoyed computer and console games and thats how i became seclusive (being an only-child didnt help), that and i moved alot so it was hard for me to keep friends when i was young. (sorry for the rant)

No need to apologise, all I can really say here is to not worry so much, you are still in school. You may make some great friends, but in the long run it won't matter if you don't.

But come on, people are so incredibly mean and cynical everywhere i go, i cant help to hate everyone. no one seems to be able to take a joke these days... and yeah i sort of forgot where i was going with this.. i'm sorry guys, i guess some tips would be handy..

I know how you feel with this one, but there are always a few who are not like this, try to look out for them.

How can i stop freaking people out?
first impression are everything and i always fuck those up. i think im just too friendly and i scare people.
Yeah i lost the entire point of this thread sorry but im still posting it... dont burn me for it

God knows, I freak people out all the time and for some reason they still seem to like me (not to say I was very popular overall). The only thing I can really suggest is what I said before: Relax, and stop trying so hard to impress people, as cliché as it sounds, be yourself.

i guess ill just rant on here everytime i have something worth sharing with some intellectual people.....

Don't fee our ego's too much ;)

sorry again for being a waste of space

Christ, I don't even know you and I want to give you a hug. =/

Akas

Feb 7, 2008
Keep an open mind. You may think it's cool to be elitist and with specialized interests, but all it does is annoy the "middle" crowd (i.e. people who aren't cliques) when they try to make conversation with you. Don't change yourself because of others: if you let yourself get bullied into playing a whimpering sycophant, you'll be that way for the rest of your life. But locking yourself into a specific clique/hobby/interest group makes you harder to talk with/less desirable/etc.

There's a reason that one of the main "rules" in gaining power is to not choose sides: by doing so, you make yourself easy to identify (and ridicule), you have a lot to lose if your side loses (going out of fashion/social hierarchy would be the rough equivalent) and not a lot to gain if your side wins (since you're just part of the crowd). By keeping flexible and remaining somewhat interested (even if it's an act), you'd be surprised how much friendlier/desirable/less annoying people will be in return.

If you want to learn more, here's a basic synopsis of the book (which you can probably pick up in stores). Check Rule 20.

http://www2.tech.purdue.edu/cg/Courses/cgt411/covey/48_laws_of_power.htm

Syntax Error

Sep 7, 2008
Your story makes me want to take some cardboard, black paint, write "Free Hugs" on it, then go to the biggest wide open space I can find where a lot of people are walking by.

I was socially awkward (sometimes, I still am). The only way to overcome that is to muster up enough courage and start to become a people-person. Hey, if I could do it, so can you.

WingedFortress

Detective
Feb 5, 2008
I feel morally obligated to give you fair warning that the internet is generally not the best place to be going to for advice on a subject like this.

And take everything in stride. Things can always get worse, so make the best outta what you got.

TriSarahTops

Feb 19, 2009
Honestly people, i don't tyr that hard to get people to like me, becuase as i stated, I HATE EVERYONE. i just like how socially awkward i appear to people becuase they are all idiots. And let me clarify, I'm totally happy with who i am. I know i am more intelligent than most people my age, but it annoys me becuase i'm so used to being "the smart, awkward one" at school, that now all my new intelligent friends outshine me in both categories...lol

I always keep an open mind to everything and i certainly try to not associate with the crowd for i loathe them.... i'm talking about if i meet new people who i want to get to know, and ill be too friendly and they'll think im trying to hit on them... its annoying

Ancientgamer

Jan 16, 2009
curlycrouton said:

That's always been my problem. If someone's actually talking about something that has merit for conversation, fine. I can join in great. But people are always talking about random crap.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
TriSarahTops said:
I know i am more intelligent than most people my age, but it annoys me becuase i'm so used to being "the smart, awkward one" at school, that now all my new intelligent friends outshine me in both categories...lol
Sorry to be a bit of a dick, but don't be so presumptuous. It's hard to sympathize and offer advice when you come across as pretty arrogant.

If you hate everyone, as you say, then no wonder no-one likes you since that's bound to surface in your interactions with them. And if you're as arrogant as you seem then people probably just don't like being talked down to. I thought I was super deep at 17 too. 9 times out of 10, you're not that deep.

It also seems you're pretty insecure, since you place yourself up as the 'smart one', and yet are upset that your 'new intelligent friends' are 'outshining' you. Are you really happy with who you are? Because it seems like you want to be different.

PrinnyGod

Sep 25, 2008
Uhm, i'll mention my tactic, how ever it's not really a suggestion

I just decide to remain apathetic about most things, and when i end up talking to people i stay apathetic. Hell most of the time i'm the guy who just listens for most of the conversation after it started. I may have been the cause of the topic, but now i'm the guy listening. I don't know if the general not caring for the most part is a good thing or not, but i'm rather happy.

Nerples

May 7, 2008
you remind me of myself somewhat. I seriously think that the best advice that has been given is to engage in small talk. Yes i know it is tiresome, not really stimulating, facile, banal, and you may think (correctly) that the person is an idiot, but in all honesty it really does help get rid of awkwardness and allows both of you to open up and actually have a proper conversation. You may be surprised by what you find when someone is relaxed after a few sessions of smalltalk. I used to think my flatmates were moronic dullards, but once i chatted to them about their day, even simple things like what they were cooking, it helped immeasurably. Some of them are actually not as stupid as i once thought! Conclusion; use small talk to loosen people up and relax them, then you can get to know them and release some of the awkwardness.

Lullabye

Oct 23, 2008
TriSarahTops said:
Ok ok i get it... I dont fit in, i do understand these things. but i try so hard to make people like me and all i get is a face full of shit.
Sarah, if that is indeed your real name ( and if it is you should chang your avatars name) the person above me just said don't bother trying to please people. That is the WORST advice you can give. You say you moved alot, well, then we have something in common. I've moved about 5 times alone in the city im currently in and if things go right with our family business then i'll be mov'n to australia. I've move across the country and to other countries and back again. If there is one thing i've learned, it's try to please people.

Obviously you're not going to make friends if your a ***** to everyone. You said you have a boyfriend, then you might fall into the trap of thinking that's enough. It's NOT. Everybody, every freak'n human on this god forsaken planet has social needs. NEEDS not wants. You need to have friends to be mentally healthy.
( I personally want to disagree but I can't find an example that favors my argument.)
So be nice to people. In fact you said your self that people are mean and not nice. You know why? because people are terrified of what others think and they think that being cold makes them look cold, cool and mysterious. I know i used to think that way, and sometimes catch myself still thinking like that.
Ironically, when they find other people are acting like that to them they often take offense. Then they become even more secluded from others. Now because you move alot you doubtless have hit the situation where people have grown up together and feel comfortable around eachother, but that sometimes means they are less accepting of outsiders. This means
you have to convince them your not a bad person, and have stuff incommon, etc... but how do you do this if you suck at first impressions and stutter e-every
o-oth-other w-w-word? Be nice. it's as simple as that but don't be whipped. I f someone pushes you punch em in the face. Guy or girl. I'm half black half white and look asian so im the the most likley end product of humanity if we live that long. As such I'm the bear the brunt of almost all the racist jokes in my click. But I know they are not actually racist. If they were I wouldn't hang with them. The reason they make those jokes around me is because 1) They're immature 2) They understand I don't givee a damn about race since I made my peace on that subject long ago so sorry black people don't care how oppresed your are, were, whatever. I'm more worried about the human race in general the petty pathetic racial squabbles. 3) It's a JOKE. Yeah it's mean, immorral and all that fun stuff that makes up the majority of the human psychy but it's also funny, at least to me, because I can appreciate the joke for its wit, not its discriminatory aspects like the kkk would. I guess Im trying to say make peace with yourself, it will be hard, but omg is it ever worth the peace of mind and ability to change. And if your anything like me, you need to change alot.
I have a very good friend who is perhaps the coolest most down to earth person I know and is also the NICEST person I know. Think Naruto crossed with Sasuke. All the coolness and niceness, but no umm murderous intent or spontanious "You can do IT!!!"s, well maybe a little. Point is when I'm with them, I feel like an asshole cause i often swear, or make insensitive remarks that i don't really mean and upon reflection, can't understand why i said them except to look cool. That makes me feel like dying of embaressment. So now i takecourses and read books about talking, responding and understanding communication between people. It actually helps alot. I probbablysound like a loser but if your thinking that then thats your first mistake. Try neutrality when seeing, hearing or reading things. Try as best you can to eliminate your prejudices no matter how small. Of course unless your super intune with yourself this is probbably impossible but try it any way. When you see something stupid ask yourself why is that stupid? Try to come up with an answer other than " 'Cause it's weird." Being more accepting often leads one to more curiosity and therefore learning. I never in a million years would be would've been caught dead with anime or other dorky japanese shit. But now I'm hooked cause I tried to see it without pre determined prejudice. I still like modern american pop culture but now i'm also into european and asian pop culture as well. If people see you're accepting they will feel comfortable around you, and won't be afraid or cold or mean or whatever. So be nice and accepting even if they are not. Trust me, I've moved alot and it's worked for me every time.
Rant rant rant.... heres some tips
If you want people to talk to you but you suck at it like i do, then get them talking. Ask about their hobbies, interests, so on and so forth. If they change a subject and seem embaressed by it or scoff at something, try to find out why. If they are embaressed by it, show them it's no big deal, not even a small one at that. Maybe your even a little interested in it. Everyone has at least one thing they do thats extremly embarasssing, so if you show them it doesn't matter to you they will freak'n love you. If something makes you uncomfortable about them, either confront them about it and let them know it's weirding you out but they should'nt feel embaressed. Or you can hide it and learn to accept it over time ( which is what I do and I havn't hurt anybodies feelings yet) I know that sounds like bad advice but if you know that you can accept something with a little time and effort why make a deal out of it?
off track.... How do you get people talking about themselves? ( It can be harder than it looks since you usually talk about yourself, yes, you do.)
With a technique called parroting. Ussually you just repeat what they say with a a a whats it called? You know where your voice gets higher at the end of a sentence to make it sound like a question. I think my rant is longer than yours by now, but thats ok cause I'm trying to help you become a better person, not to insinuate that you are not a good person, but there is room for improvment in all of us. Espescially those of us who think they have life all figured out. That means YOU adults.
Here' a good example. Incest! A friend of mine was dating his cousin for a while. 1st cousin. And fucking her. Sorry, having intimate sexual relations(better?) No, he's not from the south. Ha! I caught you stereotyping ( or feeling offended if your from the south, suck it up it's a fucking joke.) Anywho, I had to wrestle with this akward feeling for a while. Is incest wrong? If yes then why? I came up with a good double edged answer that made me feel like an ignorant asshole. Because if two people closleyrelated mate the resulting child could have something wrong with it. ( I say wrong as in impairment of some sort, not wrong morally and I have both mentally and physically handicapped friends who I'm totally comfortable so suck it.) Who wants a retarded baby? No one. If the human race could find a way to rid us of disablities we would. (killng all people with disabilities aside.) So we try to find ways to avoid that at all cost. Now here's the sad part. Why do you need to have a baby?
There are thousands of unwanted children everywhere in th world ( because you know, humans are sooooo nice.) The related couple could simply adopt. So unless your dead set against raising other peoples babies( give me a logical reason why) what's the problem?
Exactly. No logical problem. If we reach a point where there are no orphans then I guess, actually, no it'd still be okay logically since the situations that entails would make any form of discrimination mute. But now i'm totally ok with incest. not for or against just accepting.
Uggh i love ranting, i go off topic sooo easily. Anyways, either attain trancendence and become a hermit who needs no other, or learn to change. Good luck to you
ps: If this post offended anyone, too bad your immature, suck on it.