Here's the new Metallica song

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Wow...I didn't think they could get any worse. I heard Death Magnetic and thought 'Well, it can't get any worse than this.' Glad to see Metallica was able to prove me wrong e.e

CthulhuMessiah

Apr 28, 2011
I was done with Metallica after Load.

No, I will not make the obvious "What a Load of shit!" joke. I am better than that.

Luke5515

Aug 25, 2008
You know, ever since St. Anger, I was really thinking "well it can only get better from here"
The death magnetic came and I said "Not really good, but a step in the right direction"
Then I heard this and I thought "My soul is dead forevermore"

Metallica was my favorite band. Hell I even enjoyed Load and Reload, but I think I'm going to have to pretend that they don't exist any more. At least, their new stuff.

Sn1P3r M98

May 30, 2010
What is this I don't even

This is terrible. I've always thought Metallica was pretty cool, but this absolutely sucks.

hiks89

Oct 22, 2008
this is why i wont buy any metallica albums past ride the lightning...cliff burton rules all

Drakmeire

Elite Member
Jun 27, 2009
Country
United States
I was one of the few people who loved Death Magnetic and...
WHAT IS THIS AND WHY DO I NO LONGER FEEL THE ABILITY TO BE HAPPY?!?!
I pray this is just the band messing around.
at least is got listenable at the end but too little too late.

Chalacachaca

May 15, 2011
I like The Velvet Underground and Metallica, I even like Lou's solo career.

But I don't think I like this Lou Reed & Metallica thingy they're pulling, but I'm not judging it yet, I'll have to listen to the album.

Matrixbeast

Sep 18, 2010
Wow.
At first I was all "It can't be as bad as this guy lets on..."
And then I listened to it.
...Wow.

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
Okay, I really don't like Metallica... but even this is worse than normal for them.
That's truly an awful song. What the hell was that? I literally can't stop laughing at how uninterested Lou Reed sounds.
That and the comment "Sad, But True... this sucks" XD

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Jesus Christ. That was truly fucking awful, and this is coming from someone who liked 'Reload'.

This festering boil on the ass of music almost makes St Anger sound good in comparison.

Still Life

Sep 22, 2010
First: this isn't the new 'Metallica' song. This is Reed's project and he's teamed up with Metallica who have contributed to arrangements. It's a collaboration.

Second: to the idiot who brought up Cliff Burton: he was the most progressive musician of the lot -- introducing the band to influences like Thin Lizzy and The Police.

Now, pedantry out of the way:

The album is based off a theatrical production, among other things. I would like to hear the entire album because there should be a narrative and other creative elements/arrangements which create a cohesive body of work. I actually dug this track, as it builds up to this cathartic release and could be an interesting bridge for Lulu's story. Also has a Stoner Rock vibe which I dig. This isn't classic, or even straight up Metallica, though.

What I like about Metallica is that they're not afraid to do things that aren't 'Metallica'. This collaboration will divide fans and the posers who have never followed the band will assert their opinions, as usual. And I sincerely hope it does -- it has been the reaction to every Metallica project since Ride the Lightning.

Looking forward to giving Lulu a good listen. Thank god for bands which explore new ideas. *Listens to Heritage*

Kevlar Eater

Sep 27, 2009
This is bona fide shit. They sound so uninterested, so bland... so shit.

Utter, utter shit. Perhaps this would sound better if the sound were filtered through a styrofoam cup.

Vuljatar

Sep 7, 2008
Oh my GOD. It's REAL?! I thought it was a bad joke when I first heard it.

I suppose they must have tried to get William Shatner, and when they couldn't they picked up Lou Reed off whatever street corner he was sleeping on and told him to do his best impression. Not that that's even the worst part, the instrumental performance is lazy and the lyrics were written by a retard. (Beyond the obvious (see picture), what the hell is up with that spoken echo at about :44?)

There is absolutely no question that this is the worst thing Metallica has ever done. And I don't mean it's just the worst song they've recorded, I mean that the creation of this abomination is the most despicable, morally bankrupt, pettily selfish and cruel thing that they have ever done together--or that any of them have ever done separately.

This "song" is just atrocious. It's got literally nothing going for it. The riffs are very generic and vaguely Metallica-ish, and mind-numbingly repetitive. Speaking of repetition, if I had to guess I would say that the drum part is being performed by a machine. Maybe not even a drum machine, maybe it's one of those little Drinking Birds strategically positioned over a cymbal. The guitar solo sounds like a 14 year old screwing around on the cheap strat-knockoff he just got for his birthday. There is, truly, not a single redeeming quality.

It's so utterly and completely offensive to my ears, offensive to my mind as a musician, and offensive to my very soul as a (classic) Metallica fan, that I won't even deign to download it illegally out of spite, for fear that the absolute failure contained in the audio file might curse my entire hard drive.

cormacdffy

Nov 19, 2009
I actually quite liked it. The only thing I don't like is Lou Reed's vocals. But apart from that it was good.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
the old, heavy, slow Black Sabbath,
Slow?

Dear fellow, Black Sabbath is anything but 'slow'. Thats like saying Lemmy is attractive.

Although I do get what you mean I just thought this thread could do with a decent tune.

Mandalore_15

Aug 12, 2009
Lou Reed's vocals on this track might just be about the worst thing I've heard in the last decade: "Fee... LING".

Still Life

Sep 22, 2010
cormacdffy said:
I actually quite liked it. The only thing I don't like is Lou Reed's vocals. But apart from that it was good.
His vocals have grown on me, exponentially. His delivery builds up like a egomaniac preacher of faith -- precision and tension are all there, complemented by Hetfield's intensity. Took me a few listens to 'get' it. I think in the context of the running order this piece will be even more powerful. Fits perfectly thematically, as Lulu is about the darkest depths of desire and passion, embodied in the tortured dancer created by, and ripped apart by those emotions. This is thematically dark and complex, and the lyrics have so many twisted layers. Genius.

Can't wait now. It's not a Metallica album, but this is something far, far more extreme and challenging: making it more exciting. Won't be for everyone, though.