Here's The Skinny On Microsoft's New 360 Update

goldenheart323

Oct 9, 2009
FoolKiller said:
1. I'm afraid of the cloud saves. A 8 GB memory stick has served me well and I have my gamertag on the go since the beginning with MS's overpriced 512 MB memory card.
What brand memory stick? A friend of mine bought one, (PNY I think,) and he had ALL his info disappear from his stick 3 or 4 times in one month! He was just given an old launch 360 and had a bunch of updates though. Still, his profile & saves shouldn't get vaporized by any update.

Darth Sea Bass

Mar 3, 2009
I hate xbl updates "Wait you just want to play a game? Fuck you were updating and you'll like it and the wait!"

LogicNProportion

Mar 16, 2009
Sooooooooooooooooo, PSN?

Not sure if I'm just instigating or not, it does remind me quite a bit of PS3's menus. Oh well, looking forward to it, either way.

silverbullet1989

Jun 7, 2009
GonzoGamer said:
silverbullet1989 said:
GonzoGamer said:
silverbullet1989 said:
ahhh why is everything changing... first nexus modding site (clusterfuck design) then youtube, facebook is following soon, now xbox dashboard! oh well least it looks okay...ish
At least they're trying. As a PS3 owner I have to say that I'm still not sure if it's worth paying for but at least they're trying to improve it. Sony seems to have completely given up on improving the PS3; update 4.0 was just to set it up as a server for their new handheld...which is certain to get terrible firmware support too.

It's almost enough to make me wish I got a 360 instead and just dealt with the fee and the rrod. In retrospect it seems a small price to pay for decent firmware updates and ports that aren't complete crap.

Also, once I got used to it, I kind of feel like the nexus site works better...browsing wise at least. I'm not sure if I've actually downloaded anything from there since the change.
Since i have a 360 and my step dad has a PS3 i can agree with you there... i hate his interface compared to the 360... and as weird as it sounds my step dad is a huge ps3 fanboy (fanman?) he hates me as soon as i mention the xbox but he does like the layout more 0_o

ive given up on nexus lol, i just really hate how mods are sorted now, especially the tracking centre... so pleased skyrim is going to use steamworks for mods, not tht ive ever seen or had anything to do with steamworks (could be worse for all i know)
I was a Playstation fan when all I had was the PS2. But after getting a PSP & PS3, I'm done with the Playstation brand. However, I can?t say I?ll likely be getting the neXbox when that rolls around either. Maybe I will if after a few years there isn?t any word of any big defects or they don?t raise the price of live but how likely is any of that.

No, I think I?m going to be strictly a PC gamer for a while. Sure we get shitty ports too but at least we can occasionally do something about it.
Wise move =P i only have my xbox because i wanted halo 3 (sad i know) GTA IV and bad company when that came out.. i usually only buy console exclusive games, or games tht the pc port is soo unbearably bad... on the other hand i dont mind console ports on the pc IF the dev says "here are the modding tools" so like you said we can make the game how it should have been on the pc. There are some clever people out there that should be part of a development team

Triforceformer

Jun 16, 2009
DumpsterHumper said:
Wait, when did the Xbox turn from "Awesome game machine that can sorta be used for movies and shit, I guess if you're lame. Maybe." to "Movies and some games if you are socially awkward."
Around the time when the casual games market exploded like it did is my guess.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
goldenheart323 said:
FoolKiller said:
1. I'm afraid of the cloud saves. A 8 GB memory stick has served me well and I have my gamertag on the go since the beginning with MS's overpriced 512 MB memory card.
What brand memory stick? A friend of mine bought one, (PNY I think,) and he had ALL his info disappear from his stick 3 or 4 times in one month! He was just given an old launch 360 and had a bunch of updates though. Still, his profile & saves shouldn't get vaporized by any update.
I have a Kingston.... and have never had a problem with it.

And dammit MS... why am I still waiting....

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
silverbullet1989 said:
GonzoGamer said:
silverbullet1989 said:
GonzoGamer said:
silverbullet1989 said:
ahhh why is everything changing... first nexus modding site (clusterfuck design) then youtube, facebook is following soon, now xbox dashboard! oh well least it looks okay...ish
At least they're trying. As a PS3 owner I have to say that I'm still not sure if it's worth paying for but at least they're trying to improve it. Sony seems to have completely given up on improving the PS3; update 4.0 was just to set it up as a server for their new handheld...which is certain to get terrible firmware support too.

It's almost enough to make me wish I got a 360 instead and just dealt with the fee and the rrod. In retrospect it seems a small price to pay for decent firmware updates and ports that aren't complete crap.

Also, once I got used to it, I kind of feel like the nexus site works better...browsing wise at least. I'm not sure if I've actually downloaded anything from there since the change.
Since i have a 360 and my step dad has a PS3 i can agree with you there... i hate his interface compared to the 360... and as weird as it sounds my step dad is a huge ps3 fanboy (fanman?) he hates me as soon as i mention the xbox but he does like the layout more 0_o

ive given up on nexus lol, i just really hate how mods are sorted now, especially the tracking centre... so pleased skyrim is going to use steamworks for mods, not tht ive ever seen or had anything to do with steamworks (could be worse for all i know)
I was a Playstation fan when all I had was the PS2. But after getting a PSP & PS3, I'm done with the Playstation brand. However, I can?t say I?ll likely be getting the neXbox when that rolls around either. Maybe I will if after a few years there isn?t any word of any big defects or they don?t raise the price of live but how likely is any of that.

No, I think I?m going to be strictly a PC gamer for a while. Sure we get shitty ports too but at least we can occasionally do something about it.
Wise move =P i only have my xbox because i wanted halo 3 (sad i know) GTA IV and bad company when that came out.. i usually only buy console exclusive games, or games tht the pc port is soo unbearably bad... on the other hand i dont mind console ports on the pc IF the dev says "here are the modding tools" so like you said we can make the game how it should have been on the pc. There are some clever people out there that should be part of a development team
That's what I've been saying. Bethesda especially should hire the people who mod their games to do the QC since they obviously know what they're doing and Bethesda's current dept (assuming they actually have one which doesn't seem likely) is obviously incompetent.

Jelly ^.^

Mar 11, 2010
Please tell me I'm not the only one who genuinely misses the original Blade interface :(

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Dirty Hipsters said:
All this and they can't make it less blindingly white?
I'm thinking more, "All this and they STILL can't fix the damn party/match-making/messaging systems?!"

I mean, come on Microsoft. For the love of God it's been six years! I would think, at least by this point, they'd have ironed out the systemic problems with at least the party system.

But, no. Just about every play session I have on Live with friends, one wherein we're all together in a party to talk, the party crashes or someone is dropped. Does Microsoft try to fix it? Nope. They spend all of their time on designing a new, more white, Kinect-centric UI.

And to think I actually PAY to use this service. Sigh....

Harker067

Sep 21, 2010
Dear sweet FSM, I personally hate this new update. Ugly light grey thing on the bottom that never goes away. Mess of mostly worthless ads and market places. Once again the indie section has disappeared far as I can tell.

Is there an undo button around here somewhere?

ed: Ok I found the indie section hidden away under game types. At least its there even if it is a mess to find.

Sinspiration

Mar 7, 2010
So far the most impressive thing this update does is kick me off Xbox Live if I so much as load a game..

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
Kinect integration is interesting. Can you say "Xbox: google search " though? Because Bing is shite.

silverbullet1989

Jun 7, 2009
Just updated mine (in the UK) and i really like it to be honest, i'll like it more when we get youtube and 4od... shame BBC and Microsoft cant come to an agreement over the iplayer =/

Johnny Wishbone

Aug 17, 2011
Hooray for the new dashboard!

More advertisements! YES! Because if there was anything missing from my gaming console UI, it's more ads. And I completely understand the need too...after all, it's not like Microsoft is making people pay to do anything useful with their Xbox Live service. They gotta recoup the expense somehow, and more ads for deoderant is the answer (frankly, I'd rather smell someones BO than Axe).

Under the old system, when I fired up MY gaming console, it went right to the MY XBOX page, and MY avatar was front and center. Made ME feel like the most important thing on MY gaming console was ME. Now, when I fire up MY gaming console, the thing that come up front and center is a f@#king ad for 'The Hangover II'. And where am I??? Well, I'm a couple tabs down there somewhere...feeling less important.

Games have taken a back seat to all the other crap they shoehorned in. Looks like everyone was right to ***** and complain before they saw the new dashboard: your Xbox isn't a gaming console with multimedia features anymore! No! It's a multimedia/social media device with gaming capabilities (if you're into that sort of thing).

I'm really excited about this new dashboard, and I'm glad that I was forced to accept it in order to keep using the service I paid upfront for.

Serfix

Jun 16, 2010
I must say that I like these changes. It's bit more clear (at least for me) than the old system, thought I needed few moments to get used to how it works. And cloud save space is 511 MB at least for me.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Centrophy said:
The blades were still better. Sadly, giving the consumer options is a big no-no in walled garden systems. After all, they need to have that space for more ads!
I prefer to think of it as a "prison" instead of a garden. A prison removes the concept of desire or consent
Besides, the garden metaphor suggests that it's run by some mad gardener who is more interested in displaying weeds than anything.

(tortured metaphor count for today: 1)

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
That Beacon option is definitely a good option. Makes it less of a pain in the ass to find people to do the Portal 2 co-op stuff with you.

Cloud saving is definitely interesting as well. Having a secondary save area you don't necessarily have to pay for, like with a memory card, is definitely a plus.

Overall...this was a good update. I may not use ALL the options, but like someone said earlier, it's good to have them. You know...kinda like having all those Pokémon but without absolutely HAVING to catch them all to make a good team for competitive play.

userwhoquitthesite

Jul 23, 2009
new dashboard is shit, bing is shit, crippled xbox bing is shittier, and coincidentally I need to go the the bathroom

and WHY THE FUCK is "play game" the smallest window on the screen of a GAME PLAYING TOY!

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
8-Bit_Jack said:
and WHY THE FUCK is "play game" the smallest window on the screen of a GAME PLAYING TOY!
it's no longer a game playing toy, it's a:
Family Unifying Computer Kinecting Instrument Never Gaming Totally Wasting All (my) Time

(it's also a robbing piece of crap, all those pictures and themes I bought!)

Aesthetical Quietus

Mar 4, 2009
Screamarie said:
I don't know...this looks cool, but honestly whenever I hear of companies doing stuff like this I just think "okay let's completely trash everything that user is used to and fill it in with new more complicated crap that they don't need but we're gonna find a way to make them want it and then pay for it."

At the same time I could just be cynical. I suppose as long as my gold subscription price doesn't go up, I'll figure it out. And maybe it's just my general misanthropy but...what is it with this social obsession everyone has? Does facebook REALLY have to be available to a person every single nanosecond of there day?
Because the User Interface [UI] is one of the most important pieces of technology on any hardware. UI design is not a matter of "Oh this looks nice" or "I think this should go here". This design would have been in the works since the last one was rolled out, common user access, patterns and practically everything under the sun would have been studied in order to try and create the best looking, most straight forward and easy to use UI. It is being done because they want to make it more open and obvious and provide a unified UI so you only have to learn a single UI instead of 3. [Windows OS, Phone, 360].
And the Facebook obsession? Because practically every man and his dog has Facebook, it has quickly become a requirement because there will be at least some people that are drawn in by it. People have become so used to Social Media that a lack of it is deemed a weakness. [A.K.A., The PR guys insisted.]