Here's Your First Ant-Man Trailer

Lord Garnaat

Apr 10, 2012
Darth Rosenberg said:
I would've preferred an edgier new MCU character, by having about-to-be-slapped-around-by-Steve Ultimate's Hank Pym used instead. But, given the tone of the MCU, I can understand why they wouldn't want to make that potentially dark a film with that daft a name/concept. That's a balancing act even they probably couldn't ever pull off.

I've always liked Paul Rudd, so it seems Marvel's still nailing good casting, which I'd say is a major part of their success. Great suit design, too.
Lord Garnaat said:
Trying to build it up like the next Dark Knight doesn't help anyone.
What about that trailer even suggests they're doing that? It ends with taking the piss out of itself over the very name, which feels like the exact opposite to Nolan's films.
Oh, I just meant a lot of dull, dark colors, a long speech about being a hero, etc. Aside from the joke at the end and the little "huh" from Rudd, it seemed like a fairly serious movie to me. Not saying that it will be, but it sort of feels like they could afford to be more humorous.

Deathfish15

Nov 7, 2006
The most useless superhero in Marvel's line up. Seriously a movie about an Incredible Shrinking Man....I mean, "Ant-Man". That's so lame and completely irrelevant to the whole 'bigger universe out there' thing that they've been doing since Thore, Avengers, and others that keep bring in new worlds and new aliens to the table.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Deathfish15 said:
The most useless superhero in Marvel's line up. Seriously a movie about an Incredible Shrinking Man....I mean, "Ant-Man". That's so lame and completely irrelevant to the whole 'bigger universe out there' thing that they've been doing since Thore, Avengers, and others that keep bring in new worlds and new aliens to the table.
"Useless" meaning you don't know that he gains the proportionate strength of an ant. For reference, here's an ant:

They're introducing a new hero, new powers, new organizations, new villains... that's world-building. We'll get the same with Doctor Strange, Black Panther, and Captain Marvel.

Or do you seriously think that Captain America: Civil War will introduce a whole new world and new alien species to the movie universe?

It's a different type of movie, with a different type of hero (an ex-con, divorced dad), with a different approach to hero legacy (Hank Pym as a legacy hero), with a different tone, different effects, different scale...

By all means, please show me the superhero movie that Ant-Man so clearly resembles.

This is sounding like one of those "Aquaman just talks to fish" posts.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
I'm on board with this. Hopefully they will still have the more light-hearted tone from Edgar Wright's version in the finished movie. Also, enough with the Wright thing, we knew for months now that he split over "creative differences", whatever they were. btw, what were they? Did he not know or care that Ant-Man would be part of the shared MCU?

Clankenbeard

Clerical Error
Mar 29, 2009
jabrwock said:
He could ride a wasp, but I'll bet that's unlikely as well in this movie.
ZING! Winner. Here is your internet.
This would clearly take the movie into a different viewer rating.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Lord Garnaat said:
Oh, I just meant a lot of dull, dark colors, a long speech about being a hero, etc. Aside from the joke at the end and the little "huh" from Rudd, it seemed like a fairly serious movie to me. Not saying that it will be, but it sort of feels like they could afford to be more humorous.
The underlined surely reflects the post-Singer X-Men era of comicbook films, though.

Whilst Marvel's trailers have been fairly representative of the tone of each film, there's no real telling from this teaser how Ant-Man'll actually turn out. I don't envy them trying to bring the character to the screen, though; go too serious and it risks being absurd (even in the MCU), go too wacky and it becomes--- well, even more absurd... Ideally they need to find a balance, which is hopefully what the teaser suggests. Sure, there's the hero speech and the muted colour palette, but the whole thing is ultimately undercut by the final pisstake line, so you could say Marvel are still being very self-aware and mindful of that tonal tightrope.

Aside from that, I don't get why there's a 'this could be the first real mistep from Marvel Studios!' vibe going around. Iron Man 2 and Thor 2 were successful enough, but I still see both as absolute misfires. The Incredible Hulk barely counts as part of the MCU anymore - it's nothing but a black sheep tethered to the continuity by a few small scenes, or a relic from the pre-Iron Man era of comicbook films.

Age Of Ultron should mean Marvel can take any hit that an underperforming or critically cussed Ant-Man may provoke.

AliasBot

Jun 14, 2013
The bit in the trailer about second chances also felt rather self-aware, considering this movie was supposed to happen before Avengers 1...and feature the Ant-Man saying the line, not the Ant-Man needing to hear the line.

I'm betting the Giant-Man thing happens at some point in the movie, at least once: "even an ordinary man can become a giant" seems like it would fit the tone the trailer implies the movie is shooting for. Plus, then moviegoers might actually be a bit more impressed by Lang as a hero (even though the Ant-Man powerset is more unique in an MCU that already has Hulk and Thor for big, strong beaters) when it happens, because they'll be surprised by it ("wait, he can grow, too!?"). I dunno, I just have a feeling.

...honestly, though, I really just want Wasp to be an official part of the modern-day MCU. She was probably my favorite Avenger in the cartoons, and I'd like to see her have a similar role in the films. Even if this movie turns out to be great, a lack of Wasp when she was almost in Phase 1 five years ago (either in the earlier version of Ant-Man or just in Avengers) would be rather disappointing.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Eh, this trailer really didn't do anything for me. Nothing in it was all that interesting. Who knows though, maybe it'll end up being good.

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
Deathfish15 said:
He's not useless in any way, shape, or form. Read some comics and educate yourself son.

Raziel

Jul 20, 2013
Yeah, not to interested in this. But to be fair I've thought almost all of the marvel ones have been decent to better and the only one I'm actually excited to see is GotG2. Still this is at the bottom of the pile of upcoming ones right under Thor.

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
Heh, why not? You could propably do a lot of really cool martial arts stuff with changing sizes.
Riding on an insect for travel seems totally inefficient though, I mean that'd be like flying to dagobah in a short-range fighter oh wait.
And I hope it doesn't turn too melancholic like the trailer.

Also, do his powers come from his suit? It sounds like he's signing up for a finished concept, not inventing himself.

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 23, 2013
Piorn said:
Heh, why not? You could propably do a lot of really cool martial arts stuff with changing sizes.
Riding on an insect for travel seems totally inefficient though, I mean that'd be like flying to dagobah in a short-range fighter oh wait.

Also, do his powers come from his suit? It sounds like he's signing up for a finished concept, not inventing himself.
His powers do come from the suit, which Hank Pym made and lets him use.

Who flew to Dagobah in a short-range fighter?

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
Spaceman Spiff said:
Piorn said:

His powers do come from the suit, which Hank Pym made and lets him use.

Who flew to Dagobah in a short-range fighter?
Oh ok, can't have the same kind of hero over and over again. It's the first marvel movie hero who has a kid, too, right?

And Luke did fly from Hoth to Dagobah in an X-Wing.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Piorn said:

It's not really a short range fighter if it has a hyper drive, though. I don't think the analogy fits. trade the x-wing for a Segway, maybe.

I don't know, I think the film will succeed if it's not too serious. It won't be their biggest hit, though, as far as new franchises go. It's certainly no GotG. I hope fans enjoy it, but I'll be sitting this one out.

Extragorey

Dec 24, 2010
Why does everybody keep posting these videos that don't work... In neither Firefox nor IE. You could at least put a link so I don't have to Google it and find the real one amongst a bunch of fanmade ones.

OrokuSaki

Nov 15, 2010
Can somebody tell me at what point Marvel said: "Hey, let's bench the interesting character and just skip ahead to the other guy."? Seriously, after the Age of Ultron crossover I really liked Hank Pym. He's a bipolar super hero who's depressed over being a creative person in a world that only cares about how useful something is. That's a hero! With a disability. That's a disabled hero!

Scott Lang is just another "Tale of redemption" that doesn't quite work out because of the dying. He comes back though, but it doesn't make him more interesting.

I'm still going to watch the movie, mostly for continuity, but also because I'm hoping that they'll youthenize Pym and put him on the Avengers like he belongs.