Here's your new ultra edgy Joker!

shteev

Oct 22, 2007
I have to say, that *apart* from the tattoos, the design is pretty solid. Admittedly, the tattoos make up most of what's been done here, and I think they're bad. Unless, maybe, the Joker is deliberately caricaturing himself with their design? If Jared Leto can pull off a performance which suggests that, he's quids in, I reckon.

Mong0

Jan 26, 2015
That is just awful. I honestly think that the joker wouldn't even get prison tattoos.

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
Darknacht said:
Story said:
Honestly, as much as the Batman universe and The Joker has been done. I welcome freshness. So I don't mind this redesign.
I'll admit I don't love the all the tattoos, especially the "Damaged" one.
How is this fresh? it looks like something that would have come out of the '90s, like if a Manson fan and an ICP fan got together to design the Joker.
Hey its fresh for the series. In my personal opinion this is better than having the same design over and over again.

kuolonen

Nov 19, 2009
I'll reserve judgement until I've seen the film.

But really, is it that bad? Perhaps my taste is skewed, perhaps I am not a true Joker fanboi, but honestly the biggest negative complaint I could muster would be "meh", while to some posters here this outlook is like making movie of the life of Martin Luther King, with Mel Gibson as the lead actor. It's like queer eye show here. "Oh my gawd, what were they thinking with that tattoo, aw jeez,etc"

Davroth

The shadow remains cast!
Apr 27, 2011
Eh, still better then regurgitating his old design again, like they do so often. I think you can't really judge the design based on a single picture like that. The design might make a lot of sense combined with Leto's performance. I'm glad we wont be getting another Joker in a purple suit.

Also, I'd like to add that I'm amazed that they are making a Suicide Squad movie... talk about a long shot. I hope they can pull it off. There are a bunch of DC heroes I'd love to see on the big screen one day.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Lolita Style, The Best Style!
Jan 12, 2010
SweetShark said:
GOD DAMMIT HOW MANY I WILL TELL YOU THIS:
WAIT TO SEE MORE, THEN JUDGE!!!!
You only see ONE picture of him! ONE!!!!

The same happened with Ben Affleck and Heath Ledger!!! Complaining and Complaining.
STOP!!!! STTOOOP!
Well this was already stated as an event look and not the actual look.
Still shouting for people so stop complaining rarely does any good, especially when it comes to characters as beloved as say: The Joker and Batman.

The thing is that as film is a visual medium, how The Joker looks will either add immensely for a good look, or detract terribly for a bad, or poorly thought out look. At current the only way they could get away with this is if The Joker used it as a joke, then wiped the tattoos off. Otherwise this is just going to alienate fans more, proving to most that WB hates comic books and won't treat them with respect.

koobismo

Nov 21, 2014
I did these earlier.

Two more: [link]http://koobismo.tumblr.com/post/117308825176/alternative-versions[/link]

In all seriousness, I know that "wait, then complain after seeing the full thing" is the appropriate response here, but I can't help but be disappointed by the look. Looks like something I would dig back in my high school years.

Danbo Jambo

Sep 26, 2014
inu-kun said:
Danbo Jambo said:
Mong0 said:
That is just awful. I honestly think that the joker wouldn't even get prison tattoos.
Why not?
Maybe the thought of the Joker sitting in a chair for 3 hours without moving seems a bit weird, maybe they had Nickolodeon on the TV there.
Lol. I think it would very much be a case of "home-made" tats, done by himself or a cell mate.

After looking again, I don't think the idea behind the tats are bad at all, but I think the issue is they don't actually look that tattoo-like. They do look drawn on as they are.

I doubt we'll see more than a few seconds of them in the film.

Mong0

Jan 26, 2015
Danbo Jambo said:
Mong0 said:
Why not?
Because the joker is a different kind of criminal than a thug, I don't think that he'd be bothered with prison conventions. He'd make himself top dog just by fucking people up.

Danbo Jambo

Sep 26, 2014
Mong0 said:
Danbo Jambo said:
Mong0 said:
Why not?
Because the joker is a different kind of criminal than a thug, I don't think that he'd be bothered with prison conventions. He'd make himself top dog just by fucking people up.
Interesting, coz I see the Joker as someone who's a bit of a genius, but who's been confined by society. So I'd see those tats as a way of kicking out and expressing himself, not conforming to conventions.

The tats seem more like a genius' expression of his obsession with jester-esq calamity and chaos.

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 23, 2013
KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime said:
Well this was already stated as an event look and not the actual look.
Not many folks seem to have noticed. I think the OP should be edited and corrected to say as much, since right now it says the opposite.

Oct 22, 2011
SweetShark said:
GOD DAMMIT HOW MANY I WILL TELL YOU THIS:
WAIT TO SEE MORE, THEN JUDGE!!!!
You only see ONE picture of him! ONE!!!!

The same happened with Ben Affleck and Heath Ledger!!!
Nah. Note that people haven't been saying much about Leto being cast as Joker. In this case they complain purely about his characterization.

SnakeTrousers

Dec 30, 2013
KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime said:
WolfThomas said:
I don't know, the Joker has never been a character who dominates physically. It's all personality, crazy crazy personality. I don't see him working out or eating alot, especially in prison.
I always tended to see the Joker as a tall, slender, but solidly built sort. Not fat, or muscle bound, but not scrawny either. More just the type of person with a build that gives him natural presence and physical confidence and charisma to go with his personality.
So like a farmer basically?

Jake0fTrades

Jun 5, 2008
People were skeptical when Heath Ledger was cast as the Joker, so I want to give Jared Leto and the costume designers the benefit of the doubt on this.

I wouldn't mind them nixing some of the tattoos, but it ultimately comes down to Leto's performance and he's not a bad actor from what I've seen.

Jaegerbombastic

Sep 20, 2014
Jake0fTrades said:
People were skeptical when Heath Ledger was cast as the Joker, so I want to give Jared Leto and the costume designers the benefit of the doubt on this.

I wouldn't mind them nixing some of the tattoos, but it ultimately comes down to Leto's performance and he's not a bad actor from what I've seen.
Not just Heath Ledger as Joker. Way back in the 80s people were skeptical about Michael Keaton playing Batman because up until that point he was only known for being in goofy comedies. And I remember people not liking Chris Evans being casted as Captain America because of how bad the Fantastic 4 movies were.

I'm still more optimistic about this movie than, say, Batman vs. Superman. Mostly because its being directed by David Ayer and Suicide Squad already has most of the same content he's used to making.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Why is his shirt off? The purple suit is important.

Really, it is going to be about the performance. Heath just got #1 of the 00s from youtube as best villain. It is going to take a lot to live up to that.

Brown_Coat117

Oct 22, 2010
Honestly this looks more like something that one of the Joker gang members from Batman Beyond would do, kind of looks shitty for the actual joker though.