Here's your new ultra edgy Joker!

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010

Seriously, this is so bad. Who designed this? Some 15 year old with a deviantart account and a Hot Topic membership?

And yes, this is what Jared Leto will look like in Suicide Squad.

What do you guys think?

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
The postives:
-I love the dental work. I believe this Joker has meant to have killed Jason Todd and is in prison. So the fact all his front teeth have been kicked out by Batman makes sense.
-I like the idea of him having sickly pale skin, contrasted to previously facepaint (Heath Ledger) and chemical side effects (Nicholson). Hopefully it's more noticeable next to other people.
-the haircut and dyeing (unless it's one of those terrible Fury haircuts) is pretty accurate to comics.

Cons
-The tattoos. Again the Joker is meant to be in prison, so I like the idea of prison tats. But these look like something someone obsessed with the Joker might have. Not the actual joker. I can't think of what the Joker would have but I think it would be smarter/more confusing than "hahahahaha" or "damaged"

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Lolita Style, The Best Style!
Jan 12, 2010
Ugh this is just an awful confused mess...

I could understand the Joker getting some prison tats. The Joker is the kind of person who doesn't give a damn. But even the Joker has more class and taste than to get a face tattoo, or any tattoo that wouldn't be hidden under his signature suit. The Joker would also get symbolic tattoos, that probably would make it look like he has some sort of sick sexual fetish about Batman. Not the "damaged" and "hahahahahaha" tattoos. He also wouldn't get random playing card tattoos, his card is the Joker, both in standard playing cards and tarot. The dental work makes sense for a suicide squad Joker, he did get his teeth knocked out by Batman after all. The pale skin is alright, Joker obviously doesn't get much sun. But in no universe should the Joker be that scrawny, especially in suicide squad context. All of this just looks like terrible design choices made by an emo-kid's wet dream of what the Joker should look like. Yuck.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime said:
Ugh this is just an awful confused mess...

I could understand the Joker getting some prison tats. The Joker is the kind of person who doesn't give a damn. But even the Joker has more class and taste than to get a face tattoo, or any tattoo that wouldn't be hidden under his signature suit. The Joker would also get symbolic tattoos, that probably would make it look like he has some sort of sick sexual fetish about Batman. Not the "damaged" and "hahahahahaha" tattoos. He also wouldn't get random playing card tattoos, his card is the Joker, both in standard playing cards and tarot. The dental work makes sense for a suicide squad Joker, he did get his teeth knocked out by Batman after all. The pale skin is alright, Joker obviously doesn't get much sun. But in no universe should the Joker be that scrawny, especially in suicide squad context. All of this just looks like terrible design choices made by an emo-kid's wet dream of what the Joker should look like. Yuck.
I don't know, the Joker has never been a character who dominates physically. It's all personality, crazy crazy personality. I don't see him working out or eating alot, especially in prison.

But I agree 100% it's a confused mess where the sum of all parts is worse than the individual bits.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I think it gets halfway into being scary, but really isn't. At least they're going for something new. And yes, the tats are overdoing it a bit.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Oh man! So Edgy! Not nearly as classy or clownish as the Mark Hamill joker, nor as scary and anarchic as Heath Ledger! Its like going back to the 70s when tattoos were considered scary!

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Lolita Style, The Best Style!
Jan 12, 2010
WolfThomas said:
I don't know, the Joker has never been a character who dominates physically. It's all personality, crazy crazy personality. I don't see him working out or eating alot, especially in prison.
I always tended to see the Joker as a tall, slender, but solidly built sort. Not fat, or muscle bound, but not scrawny either. More just the type of person with a build that gives him natural presence and physical confidence and charisma to go with his personality.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Pluvia said:
Get rid of "Damaged" on the forehead and I think he looks alright. Makes the Joker seem fresh again.
Yeah, that's... not very Joker to my understanding.

"And the night was filled with cries of anguish, from the dripping mouths of millions of loyal subjects, howling at the betrayal of their savior and master."

No doubt the whine brigade will have a field day with this. But considering this is all we know about Leto's version so far I'll just wait a while to form any kind of opinion. Maybe he got the some of the tats before he went crazy?

The only real issue I have with the image is that he seems a bit too ripped. Isn't it one of Joker's core features that he's kind of lanky, or at least always covered by the suit?

Edit: needs more color too! I know DC is all about that Grimdark ('bout that Grimdark, 'bout that Grimdark, no treble) right now, but Joker is arguably the most colourful character in comics, quite literally! Throw some lipstick in there, have the tats show some color. Ugh, I'm starting to sound like the whine brigade.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
That's about what I expected the new tween Joker to look like. Not much of a shock to be honest. We can't very well have Jared Leto not look appealing to those fangirls, right?

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
That's really unfortunate. It started out as a pretty good design but then they just way overdid it with the tattoos. The tattoos aren't even good or interesting, they're boring crap, the kind of stuff an unoriginal frat-boy would get. Just get a spiderweb on the elbow and a tribal on his calf the the douche look is complete.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I don't know whats worse, the tattoos or the fact that the tattoos look so bad. Forget the design, what did they use to make them, Sharpies?

lechat

Dec 5, 2012
wow this is horribad
the smile/laugh tat is passable but joker runs around in a suit and tie he is not the type of guy to get a douchie tatoo to be cool or show his feels to the world the dude has explosives and giant comical hammers to do that.

the "damaged" tat is the worst. it is almost something Harley might get on an impulse but i doubt the joker considers himself damaged in the slightest, as far as he is concerned the world is insane.

Mister Eff

Apr 11, 2009
Uuuughhh, Heath Ledger could never play the Joker! He'll suck, he's a pretty boy, the look is all wrong etc etc.

Give Leto a chance, folks.

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
Mister Eff said:
Uuuughhh, Heath Ledger could never play the Joker! He'll suck, he's a pretty boy, the look is all wrong etc etc.

Give Leto a chance, folks.
Ya know, it's not the actor. It's the design. Leto is a fine actor but this look is really fucking shitty.

BathorysGraveland2

Feb 9, 2013
He looks like what an Insane Clown Posse Juggalo would look like if they tried to play nu-metal. More laughable and pitiful than scary or intimidating.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
He looks like some thug, not like a deranged criminal genius mastermind.
There's not much creativity in those tatoos, they look like joker fanart, not like something the joker would actually put on his body.

And where is the iconic joker lipstick smile?

Dwarfman

Oct 11, 2009
It looks interesting. It's different and anyone who is going to play the Joker after Heath Ledger is going to need to be different. He could lose some of the tattoos especially the writing on his forehead. Other than that it would be hard to judge without seeing the actor in ... well ... action.