"Heroics" that left a bad taste in your mouth

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Saviordd1 said:
*Punches a reporter
She was a vile, dishonest, condescending, spin doctor *****, on a mission to make you look bad because reasons. She very much deserved that punch.
*Let one of the greatest warriors in the galaxy commit suicide and then killed her daughter, cause fuck it
Killing her makes sense if it look at it from a purely objective standpoint, remember her sister killed god knows how many people and nearly killed you, do you really want someone like that running around when the galaxy is in a state of turmoil?

Also while I do agree that much of what renegade shep does is needlessly dickish, there are also some paragon choices (off the top of my head: not stabbing the evil mechanic in the archangel mission and not shooting the violent thugs that you rescue Mordin's assistant from, and I know there were a few others) that seem needlessly idealistic and naive coming from someone who is supposed to be the ultimate black ops commando. Which is why I never do pure 100% paragon/renegade runs.

OT: Nathan drake is a smug asshole and at times barely seems any better than the "evil" people he fights. Of course my feeling that way might have something to do with the fact that I find him to be one of the most insufferable "heroes" in any game ever.

Smeggs

Oct 21, 2008
lazy villian said:
sora from kingdom hearts

every single game aside from kingdom hearts birth by sleep , sora failed, he fails every single time then brushes it off with reakless abandon instead of looking at why he failed and trying to better himself

as far as i am concerned riku has been the main character because he seems to be the one that cleans up all sora's messes, so much so , that sora openly admits it like its a good thing in kingdom hearts DDD , no you twat, better yourself so you can solve your own problems.

someone explained to me, this is because riku was supposed to be the keyblade master in the first place, and i can understand that,maybe the kid is a bit out of his league as riku has proven time and time again that he is clearly better than sora at what he does. but sora has to pull his weight somewhere, it makes me even question why even have sora be a lone main character in some games.

you have done well with main characters that arent exactly happy looking all the time,

just go for it. because i wanna play as the guy who actually gets sh** done in the story
What has Riku done and where did Sora fail, exactly?

Let's see what Riku has actually done; He kidnapped Kairi, gave into darkness, and gave new strength to Ansem's Heartless.

All Riku has really done is pal around with Mickey, whom he encountered through sheer coincidence, and finally wake Sora up by capturing Roxas-for which Riku had to once again give into darkness to accomplish.

Riku has been shown time and again to be the weaker of the two, simply by continually having his ass handed to him by Sora in KH, Chain of Memories, KHII, and even losing to Roxas in 358/2 Days, only winning by using the afformentioned dark power, which is another sign of his weakness. Literally every singlwe time you play as Riku, it always leads up to once again refighting Ansem's Heartless for the upteenth time.

Meanwhile, Sora and the gang are the ones doing real work; locking keyholes, connecting worlds, saving kingdom hearts from the dark lord that Riku helped to bring to power...

Azure Knight-Zeo

Jun 7, 2010
The "Tenpenny Towers" quest from Fallout 3. To pursuade some of the bigets living there, I tried using the Mezmo gun in an attempt to hypnotize them. At first I blew someone's head off, after reloading the save I thought it was a fluke and tryed it on another guy on a higher floor and he flew into a murderus rage and killed his wife while another resident had to put him down. I got the ghouls in and I didn't get any bad karma, but I still felt bad. And if that wasn't bad enough, I hear that the ghouls killed everyone else in the building, it's a good thing I died from radiation poisoning, otherwise I might have done the same to them.

Grottnikk

Mar 19, 2008
What about the so-called-Hero in Shadow of the Colossus? Wander goes and murders what for all intents and purposes appear to be 16 innocent living creatures so that he can restore life to one person. He's warned not to, told it's a bad idea, and if he has any conscience he should probably think twice about it, but nope - off he goes to whack a bunch of innocent colossi. Prick deserves his fate if you ask me :/.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
scorptatious said:
Well in Kirby's Dreamland 3:

In one of the levels, in order to get the heart star, you have to help out these mushrooms by stepping on all the red flowers in the level. So basically, Kirby committed genocide in order to help somebody.

Our hero ladies and gentlemen.
Isn't that the plot of almost every Kirby game? Case in point, Kirby 64. You are helped by a Waddle Dee. Now think for a good, hard, moment. Waddle Dee's are the enemies most commonly murdered by Kirby next to the Pink fliers(Forgot their name for a sec) Bronto bert's, and you are being helped, willingly, by one. WHAT saint of miniondom, is this one Waddle Dee to put the murders of his friends, family, and fellow kind out of the way to be Kirby's helper? He could've let Kirby die and get crushed by sand in Rock Star, but he saved him. Just think about that.
That is something I never got myself.

I've played Kirby 64 first myself, so it was even more confusing to me to see Kirby kill a bunch of the creatures that happen to be the same species as his "long time pal" as the game's instruction manual describes him.

And in Kirby's Return to Dreamland, that (supposedly) same Waddle Dee is a playable character and you can have him stab other Waddle Dees with his spear.

What the hell did Kirby do to you Waddle Dee??

Grottnikk

Mar 19, 2008
Noswad said:
And FTL, there's not a lot of story to go on but all a can tell is that there has been a popular rebellion in which the old regime is on it's last legs and i can't help but wonder, how did the rebellion get so powerful? why do so many people have grievances with the old space government? is it possible that I am playing as the Empire post return of the Jedi?
The rebels in FTL are a bunch of Nazi human supremacists. In a few encounters they go on about the "ascendancy of the human race/aliens are holding us back/blah blah blah." So don't feel bad about blowing up their cool ships :)

GartarkMusik

Jan 24, 2011
Lazy said:
Assassin's Creed III had a few of these moments for me, specifically when you're looking for Captain Kidd's letters. In one Connor chases after a looter who'd found the letter he was looking for, shouting the whole time that it belongs to him (how do you figure that, Connor?) and ultimately murdering him over it. Later he destroys an entire fort for the measly scrap of paper he has no claim to, condemning who knows how many people to fiery, agonizing deaths for the sake of his own wealth.

Frankly, Connor comes across as a pretty massive asshole in general, and the game's attempts to paint him as heroic (if naive) just make him that much more irritating.
I thought this too, but Desmond's decision at the end of the game pretty much took the cake in that department. He literally betrayed everything the Assassins stood for.

lazy villian

Jan 7, 2013
Smeggs said:
in kingdom hearts 1 sora effed up and riku and mickey had to close the door to the darkness and lock themselves inside

in kingdom hearts chain of memories, sora again effs up looses his memories and gets reduced to a comatose state, riku after leaving the darkness something that aqua wasnt even able to do procedes to not only get a majority of soras memories back beat several members of organization 13

in kingdom hears 358/2 sora still in a comatose state still burdens everyone else by unleashing a nobody and a memory monster named xion apon the world. after riku kicks both of their asses,( yeah he beat roxes in that fight then chooses to use the darkness by the way ) proceded to prove again he can undoubtedly beat sora and duel wielding sora in a fight, he also proved that he him self can beat the darkness

so after he makes roxas face the music, roxas looses his memory and makes roxas race the music again giving sora his memories back, and proceed the whole time in kingdom hearts 2 guiding sora , because sora didn't really have orientation at that point, and as final mixed proved kicking the remaining members of organization 13 asses while sora wasn't doing it, or at least trying. so after guiding sora through the whole game he not only shows that he has completely beaten the darkness , something terra couldn't do , ventus got killed over and aqua couldn't escape from, shows that he has his own key blade

im not the expert on this kind of thing , but i belive riku single-handedly out did everyone in that story, except for king mickey, i also believe that qualifies as [HEADING=2]strait up gangsta[/HEADING], and because of that he was awarded baggy jeans

obviously thats what happens when your strait up gangsta, baggy jeans and make your own weapon , because badass

to continue after sora and riku bad everyone in the 13 tower, they get to xemness and beat him blah blah blah end of kh2

so we get to kingdom hearts DDD so, this is where this good, so not only does sora out right admit riku cleans up his messes, and ensuate that riku is better at this than he is. the bloody games say it, hell sora has said riku was stronger than he was in kingdom hearts 2. the only reason riku doesn't say it is because he is humble, he knows he did some bad stuff in the past and doesn't wanna be pampas , i think that's an admirable trait, but back to ddd. anyways sora effs up again and goes back to comatose mcgee, and gets kidnapped peach style, so riku having beaten his trials already ventures back and kicks ass and gets sora out.
let me reiterate , the xeienhort 13 wanted riku and sora, riku not only escaped but rescued sora. AFTER HE HAD ALREADY FINISHED HIS TEST, thats like if you took a mast test and was failing, i finished my test and aced yours for you.

thats why riku was awarded the title keyblade master, because time and time and time again riku outdoes everyone in the goddamn story, because he was meant to be the keyblade master and it shows.

bz316

Feb 10, 2010
rhizhim said:
can we pick movies too?
the hero, django shoots a woman because she wanted to make him suffer by letting him work in a stone quarry instead of be killed instantly.

the reason she wanted this was because he and his partner could not resist shooting her brother and other people dead even when they already reached their goal and could had gotten away.
her death was pointless.
Umm...I believe technically she had sent him somewhere to be brutally worked to death. Frankly, I'd have killed her too.

As for her brother, maybe Dr. Shultz should've just shaken her hand, but he had also just threatened to beat Django's wife to death, so regardless of consequence, I'm kinda glad they both those fucked up siblings got shot.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
ArkhamJester said:
The Wykydtron said:
Well there's a bit in Dragon's Dogma where the main town is getting attacked by this evil cockatrice (AKA the most bullshit enemies in that game) I injured it enough (read: took down ONE of its 7 or so health bars) to make it fly off in pain.

"ARISEN! YOU HAVE SLAIN THE BEAST! HAVE ALL THIS AWESOME SHIT!"

*Cockatrice visibly flies off into the distance*

"Ummm, ok."

That had to be one of the weirdest bugs ever. I felt like such a dick, the entire town was convinced the thing was dead. It had a whole 6 health bars left guys. You saw it fly off in the direction of the lofty tower where all the flying monsters go to lick their wounds right? No? Ok then...

Oh and the main character in Persona 3 is at least of questionable friendliness. No matter how much of a blank slate he is meant to be. I keep meaning to go through P3 again to refresh myself over why I hated that guy so much but then I remember the dreadful party AI and that singlehandedly ruins it. The rest of the story is amazing but I can't stand that guy.

He basically never does any genuine friendly stuff in a game about friendship for the whole 60 hours. The loner archtype can't stand that unchanged in that kind of game
Dude you NEED to play the psp version, you can play as a girl (who is written to be 100X more outgoing and friendly) and you can directly command your party members, plus as a bonus about 90% of the social links are new or have different character dynamics behind them. Bam all your problems solved, unless you don't have a psp or a vita...
Inb4 no PSP or Vita. I don't particularly like handhelds in general and I guess the Vita being out makes getting a PSP pointless assuming it's fully backwards compatible. If I got a Vita now the only thing I would play would be the new Persona 4. I'm not throwing that kind of money at something until it has more good games and goes down in price.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
AgentLampshade said:
Snow. Fucking. Villiers. Dumbass self-proclaimed "hero" and complete tool who even says "heroes don't need plans." Argh!

Every single thing he does isn't thought through at all.
I have never hated a FF co-protagonist so much as Snow. Even Vaan looks awesome next to him.

He's the hero? he runs around shooting the "bad guys" because he's a good kid and the other guys are meanies! And there are dumbasses who follow him! And he got someone's mom killed and he runs around like nothing happened! And his fiancee is frozen but he still has time to play hero with that dumb smirk!

You know, I wasn't a big fan of Hope but I kinda understand his hatred towards Snow. I also hated the fact that he sort of forgave him...

Also, Mario. Freakin' Mario. The princess is always getting kidnapped; everyone should be used to it now. yet, Mario races across the world-- nay, the universe, killing who knows how many random species that are just standing idly by (Seriously, what did that Goomba do to you! He doesn't even have arms!) just to reach a princess who will ultimately end up getting kidnapped again and won't be able to help herself.

And if you take into consideration that rumor where the bricks are actually people from the Mushroom Kingdom, then it gets even worse.

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
kman123 said:
Dishonored really screwed up on the good/bad moral dilemma, seeing as the 'good' version of doing things is far, far worse than death. Selling someone into slavery for the rest of their life? Giving up that woman to that stalker dude was fucking creepy. I'd rather just kill her but nooooooooo I had to get the GOOD ending.
You don't have to go pure nonlethal to get the good ending. Hell, you can kill 20 people in a single level and still get a low chaos rating. Not to mention that the bad ending isn't really all that much worse, as long as you complete the sidequests.

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
Saviordd1 said:
bigfatcarp93 said:
Saviordd1 said:
This is implying Renegade/Paragon was anything other than "black v. white"

I mean, in the first game you have the option to slaughter a colony because renegade shepard just isn't feelin' the whole saving people thing today.
Um... no you don't? Seriously, when the fuck was this?
Feros, when you have the option (which is the renegade option) to go in guns blazing and shoot all of the colonists. Despite the fact you have knock out grenades and a melee attack.
Bullshit, the grenades thing is based on a theory that has never been tested, they are asking you to run in front of several gun barrels to use a weapon that will most likely do nothing, sure the player knows the grenades will work, but Shepard doesn't.

A lot of the paragon/renegade choices aren't black/white, the overlord one in particular, the guy sacrificed his brother to stop a war they were afraid was brewing, saving others was Gavin's motivation, he just had no problem killing one to save many.

Norrdicus

Feb 27, 2012
Vuliev said:
Besides, even if we accept those tight restrictions, your arguments about the Renegade path fall prey to Sturgeon's Law: "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately described by stupidity."
Actually that's called "Hanlon's Razor"

The real Sturgeon's Law is "90% of everything is crap"

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
Shockolate said:
First thing to come to mind is fightning Ceaseless Discharge in Dark Souls, since I just killed him yesterday.

You can avoid fighting him if you have high vitality and the Dark Wood Grain Ring, but most people don't know that.

He isn't hostile until you provoke him by either A) Attacking him or B) Taking the suit of armor in his area.

There is an incredibly easy way to kill him in which you lure him out to deep pit, in which he'll jump over it to try and get to you. If you whack his hand enough times, he slips and falls into the pit, supposedly dying. He'll only do this if you've taken the armor.

If you look at the description of the armor, it says it belonged to a Daughter of Chaos, a follower of Lord Gywn and daughter of the Witch of Izalith. Later on after you find a ring that reduced fire damage and lets you run on lava, the description states it was created by the Daughters of Chaos for their brother, whom was born with sores that ooze lava, but that he dropped it.

The Witch of Izalith and several Daughters of Chaos were comsumed when the Witch attempted to recreated the first flame. Ceaseless discharge dropped his ring and eventually became a monster constantly oozing lava. He took solace in the fact that he could guard one of his beloved sisters tombs for the rest of his days. He attempted to jump the pit because you stole his sister's armor.

My friends going crazy, confronting the tragedies of the past, forcing me to kill monsters with good intentions?

Dark Souls is not a happy game.
Gotta agree with a lot of this, I never read into Ceaseless Discharge so much except that he was guarding a body.

I feel like a total bastard now that I killed a guy who was likely in extreme agony who was just trying to protect his beloved sisters grave.

I also hated killing Sif. :(

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
Warachia said:
Saviordd1 said:
bigfatcarp93 said:
Saviordd1 said:

I mean, in the first game you have the option to slaughter a colony because renegade shepard just isn't feelin' the whole saving people thing today.
Feros, when you have the option (which is the renegade option) to go in guns blazing and shoot all of the colonists. Despite the fact you have knock out grenades and a melee attack.
Bullshit, the grenades thing is based on a theory that has never been tested, they are asking you to run in front of several gun barrels to use a weapon that will most likely do nothing, sure the player knows the grenades will work, but Shepard doesn't.

A lot of the paragon/renegade choices aren't black/white, the overlord one in particular, the guy sacrificed his brother to stop a war they were afraid was brewing, saving others was Gavin's motivation, he just had no problem killing one to save many.
So several SOLDIERS couldn't be bothered to even try out the grenade once from cover?
Yeah thats bullshit.

freddi91

Dec 9, 2009
The end of far cry 3 (SPOILER!)

by the final levels of the game I knew I would have the choice to leave or join, and I was totally like, sure this seems pretty awesome, ill join Citra. Then you keep having these weird Dennis phonecalls and he specifially says he will always be by Citra's side.

Now at this point I was thinking that Dennis had also been with Citra and was getting jealous of me, planning to kill me over Her.

Mentally preparing myself to fight for Citra and the leadership of all the island people, and then I return and she fucking drugs me and tries to make me kill my friends. Fully knowing that if they just leave the island, they will probably never contact me again and my "family weakness" would be contained anyway.

I chose leave with friends and was so digusted with Citra's (and by extensions the rakyat's) backstabbing that I couldnt play the game for another week, then returned later to finish some of the top-level maxxed guns fort liberating funsies and extras.

AntiChri5

Nov 9, 2011
Saviordd1 said:
Warachia said:
Saviordd1 said:
bigfatcarp93 said:
Saviordd1 said:

So several SOLDIERS couldn't be bothered to even try out the grenade once from cover?
Yeah thats bullshit.
Yes, clearly the better choice is to place the life of twenty brainwashed colonists above the fate of the galaxy, take needless risks to be gentle with them on the hope that they can in fact be cured (when you have no evidence that they can).

You can disagree with the Renegade choice all you like, but it's naive to think it isn't groundless.