Hewlett Packard Promotes Windows 7 On New PCs

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Hewlett Packard Promotes Windows 7 On New PCs

Hewlett Packard is promoting new PCs with Windows 7 instead of Windows 8 as a "familiar and intuitive environment."

The unfamiliar interface of Windows 8, Microsoft's attempt to bring PCs, mobiles and tablets together under a single big tent, left a lot of people scratching their heads. I'm not aware of it being plagued by any major technical flaws but imposing an interface designed first and foremost for touchscreens onto a mouse-and-keyboard environment, and abruptly cutting out the "Start" button we've grown so used to over the past decade and change, left an awful lot of users cold.

Recognizing this fact and presumably sensing an opportunity, Hewlett Packard has taken the unusual step of recommending Windows 7 as a preferred option on new PCs. Head over to HP's "Home and Home Office Store" and you'll be greeted by a message stating, "Back by popular demand: Windows 7 PCs," along with links to desktops and laptops all sporting Microsoft's previous-gen operating system. Windows 8.1 rigs are still available, of course; just scroll down a bit, past all the big savings, and there they are.

I can't recall anytime in the past when a major PC manufacturer rolled back to an earlier version of Windows - and, even more importantly, made such a big deal out of it. And while Microsoft may not be entirely pleased by the tactic, there's no arguing the numbers: As we noted earlier this month [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131244-Report-Windows-9-Being-Prepped-For-April-2015-Launch], less than 21 percent of Steam gamers have adopted Windows 8 or 8.1 since its release in late 2012, while nearly 66 percent are still using Windows 7.

I remain a committed Windows 7 user myself, with no interest in upgrading until Windows 9 makes the scene. How about you?

Source: Hewlett Packard [http://www.shopping.hp.com/#]

lvramire

Nov 11, 2010
There appears to be a slight mistake in the tag-line. Should read " promoting new PCs with Windows 7 instead of Windows 8"

Here's hoping that Microsoft follows the cycle and that their next OS is the good one.

coolbond

Mar 1, 2011
Hewlett Packard is promoting new PCs with Windows 7 instead of Windows 7 as a "familiar and intuitive environment."

promoting new PCs with Windows 7 instead of Windows 7

Windows 7 instead of Windows 7

wait what?

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Smart move. Good for them. I don't think they're the first- a lot of "boutique" custom-PC manufacturers who advertise in magazines have been quietly continuing to offer Windows 7 as an option for some time- but I appreciate a major manufacturer taking the step. Hopefully it will help forward the message about what Windows 9 shouldn't be- but given the relatively early push to get Win 9 on the shelves, that message may have already been received.

As I mentioned elsewhere: When companies that manufacture computers using your OS feel obligated to include a third-party "shut down" button, your OS has a problem.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
Hewlett Packard is promoting new PCs with Windows 7 instead of Windows 7 as a "familiar and intuitive environment."
waaaat

Oh look, I've been ninja'd.

OT: Well, that's painful. I wonder if Microsoft will take a hint.

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
As one of those unfortunate individuals who installed Windows 8 and got too used to it now that I don't feel like going back, I have to say I hope they get Win9 out relatively early. It's no guarantee they'll scrap the live tile nonsense, though.

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
I like the Win8 start screen, much nicer then the small cluttered start menu that's been around for so long. Microsoft are changing how things are done and they should stick with it.

I don't know who said it, but some once said something along the lines of "Those who aren't willing to move from the start menu are stuck in the XP days"

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Megacherv said:
I like the Win8 start screen, much nicer then the small cluttered start menu that's been around for so long. Microsoft are changing how things are done and they should stick with it.

I don't know who said it, but some once said something along the lines of "Those who aren't willing to move from the start menu are stuck in the XP days"
The thing is we're sticking to what works and what works is the better interface of Windows 7. I think Windows 9 will be windows 7 with the improved speed of 8. The windows 8 interface is cluttered with all those colored blocks, it took me ages to find solitaire on it.

frizzlebyte

Oct 20, 2008
coolbond said:

promoting new PCs with Windows 7 instead of Windows 7

Windows 7 instead of Windows 7

wait what?
Winception *BWAAAAAM*

OT: That's kind of crazy that HP has to go back in time to boost sales of their PCs. Just goes to show that MS really screwed the pooch on Win8, although it's not a horrible OS by any means. Perhaps this will give MS some incentive to not completely leave desktop users out in the cold with Win9.

misg

Apr 13, 2013
I won't be upgrading from win7 until I see a good desktop OS. Right now win7 does everything I want and I see nothing on the horizon that gives me a reason to upgrade.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
What can Microsoft do? HP is one of their biggest clients. I have no intention to stop using Windows 7. I might, might consider swapping to 9 if they include an X360 emulator.

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
Xan Krieger said:
Megacherv said:

The thing is we're sticking to what works and what works is the better interface of Windows 7. I think Windows 9 will be windows 7 with the improved speed of 8. The windows 8 interface is cluttered with all those colored blocks, it took me ages to find solitaire on it.
It's cluttered until you organise it to your liking.

I mean, seriously, take a good look at the Win7 start menu, is it really that nice to look at and use? Furthermore, Explorer added the ribbon from Office, which was a genius idea.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Yes, thanks to everyone who pointed it out. Windows 8, obviously.

Getting back to the point, it's an interesting turnaround. I don't think Windows 8 was "bad" so much as just "different," but obviously there's some very deeply entrenched resistance. Does anyone recall something like this happening previously? I can't imagine that Microsoft is too thrilled, although I suppose if it plays its cards right (and Windows 9 really is more akin to Win7, as rumours suggest) it might be able to turn it to a publicity advantage - sort of a "Yes, we've heard you" kind of thing.

frizzlebyte

Oct 20, 2008
Megacherv said:
Xan Krieger said:
Megacherv said:

I mean, seriously, take a good look at the Win7 start menu, is it really that nice to look at and use? Furthermore, Explorer added the ribbon from Office, which was a genius idea.
I agree that the Windows Start menu is cluttered (and arguably always has been) once a bunch of programs are installed on it, but Windows 8's change to tiles makes it look cluttered and confusing out of the box. I actually like the Start Screen (live tiles have a lot to do with that), but the move to make users type in search terms to find a program is a big change. I still don't use that function as much as I should.

For most stuff, I just put an icon on the desktop or the taskbar.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
This is surprising. Usually soon after a new Windows comes out Microsoft forces every OEM to emphasize the new OS over very few units that could ship with the old, slowly phasing out any systems with the old OS. Maybe this complete reversal will get them to do the few small changes that would make Win 8 at least usable. Starting in desktop mode for non-touch computers would be a good beginning.

I am hoping Steam OS at least in a year or so after it comes out puts pressure on MS non to pull this shit again. Maybe with it exposing some more people to Linux, it will get them using ubuntu or another distro instead of MS's force fed garbage. Even Apple knew not to blend a tablet and desktop OS together otherwise graphic designers would be struggling to update their Adobe Creative Suite through the App Store today, while contemplating moving Win 7, Linux, or downgrading to the last good OS X their Mac Pro can run.
Megacherv said:

To me the whole start screen is cluttered, no real organization unless you take the time to go through the live tiles yourself to set them up in any easy to find fashion which the start menu did automatically. Your commonly used programs got a desktop icon or a taskbar button in previous versions. Then there's all those "charms" and side bar or whatever. There should be one central list that can be organized by a click of a button.Trying to navigate that Metro menu using a trackpad without accidentally clicking a stupid tile has at times reduced me to a frothing hate-rage. The full screen "apps" are crud for a desktop/laptop and opening a program in the menu and another in the desktop starts a new instance when it should open a new tab or window for it. Internet Explorer is the main culprit with that but I'm sure there's more. There are options affecting the entire system that are only available in either desktop or metro, not both. The 8.1 snap view is still limiting compared to having windows you could adjust the way you want. Opening some full programs in Metro cause them to stay in that horrible interface while others realize it's best to go back to the desktop. Then there's newer programs and hardware that worked fine with 7 that take a miracle to get running in 8 or even from 8 to 8.1 have issues pop up. Up to Win 8, the start menu had everything you needed in a categorized and alphabetized list. All they should have done is made it full screen, since, you're right, there is no reason to have menus pop up in a tiny area you are concentrating on when you could have all your real estate being used to find what you want. People are still stuck in the XP days since it works for them, and they don't want to learn a pain in the ass interface. Win 8 is an abomination and it will hurt M$ if they don't fix it or start it all over again with Win 9. M$ knows that but doesn't care and won't care until their pocket books stop getting the daily truckloads they've been used to for 20 years.

A_Parked_Car

Oct 30, 2009
Well, I find this rather amusing.

Shunning Windows 8 seems to be a fairly wide-spread thing among computer stores. My brother just bought $2,700 in parts to make his gaming rig and the employee helping him didn't even ask before just giving him Windows 7. It is quite interesting to see a major manufacturer jumping on board though.

Eppy (Bored)

Crazed Organist
Jan 7, 2009
Sup dawg, we herd u like windows 7 so we put windows 7 in your windows 7 so you can 7 while you windows

In all seriousness though, not only have I never heard of something like this I didn't think this was possible. My admittedly vague understanding of the business model is that Microsoft, after a while, stops distributing the previous version of Windows to force manufacturers to upgrade and only distribute that. I specifically bought my current machine from Origin just a few months after the release of Windows 8 specifically so I could get it with Windows 7 before it disappeared.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Why does MS released OS that could fit PCs and tablets?
Why doesn't just have 2 editions?
That is one thing I don't understand.

As for another- why do they change things around with every single OS?
Renaming functions, moving them around, etc.
To fool stupid people into believing they are using new and fresh product?
(I still remember with horror how long I searched to defragmentate HDD, when jumped from XP to 7)

Hopefully Win9 will be worth it.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
blackrave said:
Why does MS released OS that could fit PCs and tablets?
Why doesn't just have 2 editions?
That is one thing I don't understand.
Money
Cheaper to make one and say it works great on everything than spend the time to develop two versions.

I want to hear Microsoft's reaction, it should be good.

Mr Chalk please keep us posted.