Hewlett Packard Promotes Windows 7 On New PCs

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
The problem with windows 8 and 8.1 at the moment is the Xbox Music and other various built in applications that don't really give users the ability to have windowed on the desktop. I've had to install iamp just to listen to music without advertisements in my face, and have had to re-associate all image files with google chrome so I don't have to open them in the windows native image viewer.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013

Shots fired. I repeat, shots fired.

Anyway, I'm sticking to 7 for the time being, and not buying premades.

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
I like many (I think/hope) tried Windows 8, but in the end I just didn't like it. I really tried to approach it with an open mind. No dice. 8 works to be sure yet I'm one of the many that never upgraded. The interface just isn't for me. It feels like it was made for phones (which I've seen it work well on) and touch screen comps. Been awhile since I tried it, but I heard they updated 8 and are already working on 9. Here's hoping it's something sensible and easy to get into.

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
I kinda chuckle everytime I read a comment by someone that uses the "PCs are bigger smartphones" OS that is Win8 cuz they all pretty much say "it's not that bad" or "it's not awful". I can't remember reading a single one that said "it's good".

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
blackrave said:
Why does MS released OS that could fit PCs and tablets?
Why doesn't just have 2 editions?
That is one thing I don't understand.

As for another- why do they change things around with every single OS?
Renaming functions, moving them around, etc.
To fool stupid people into believing they are using new and fresh product?
(I still remember with horror how long I searched to defragmentate HDD, when jumped from XP to 7)

Hopefully Win9 will be worth it.
Unification vs fragmentation.

Two versions means two versions to develop and maintain from now, for both Microsoft itself and 3rd party developers who would like to provide their product as both a mobile app and a desktop one.

And of course, users have to use two different sets of programs and systems for much of the same stuff.

One version of windows means one version to develop and maintain, while allowing desktop users not only access to traditional programs, but also gives both desktop and mobile users access to mobile apps.

Personally, while Windows 8 has some flaws that I hope not see resolved in 9, overall I rather enjoy it.

While the lack of a start button required some adjusting to, I rather like having the entire 'mobile interface' thing as an alternative. it's plenty quick and you can still access everything just the same.

Plus, I rather like having access to apps outside of actually using a mobile device, ideally I'd prefer an android overlay, but what can you do...

What I do not like is when I am using the traditional desktop interface and attempt to open a file, and it defaults to one of the 'windows apps' to open it. Sure, it can be changed, but as a default it's bloody annoying when it happens. Nor do I like the screwy little side panel menus designed for side swiping on mobile devices. Pain in the ass on a desktop.

Johnson McGee

Nov 16, 2009
Grabehn said:
I kinda chuckle everytime I read a comment by someone that uses the "PCs are bigger smartphones" OS that is Win8 cuz they all pretty much say "it's not that bad" or "it's not awful". I can't remember reading a single one that said "it's good".
What I always hear is that Win 8 is good IF your device uses a touchscreen. Otherwise it's better internals but a complete clusterfcuk trying to use any other input device.

Magmarock

Sep 1, 2011
Windows 9 will have to be pretty darn good before I'm prepared to switch. I hope they bring back a lot of the things they took from 7 such as the Aro theme and the offline support doco. Seriously, why did they remove that.

Braedan

Sep 14, 2010
My university program gives me the pro versions of every (3.1 anyone?) Windows OS, so I installed it. After installing classic shell to bring back the start menu and banish the metro screen and hot corners for eternity windows 8 is ALMOST good enough to use.

iseko

Dec 4, 2008
Tbh:i have windows 8.1 and I don't mind it. However I always skip to my desktop.I never use the tile start screen. So whats the point of having it i guess...

Atrocious Joystick

May 5, 2011
Grabehn said:
It´s good. It´s fast and stable and just in general an improved version of windows 7. Some people might have trouble with the start screen but you can start to the desktop by flipping a switch in the settings, I do.

Really, how often do you even use the start menu? Because I´ve found I only ever actually enter the start screen to quickly get to my mail. Otherwise most complaints really seem quite petty to me. "What? I need to click settings to shut down?! Next you´ll be telling I need to press the power button on my phone to mute it."

Now the major complaint I could see is that there simply is no real reason to upgrade from 7. It´s an improvement but not a vast one. I got it when it went for like spare change for a while there and I`m happy with that purchase but I doubt I would upgrade from 7 at full price.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Jadak said:
blackrave said:
Why does MS released OS that could fit PCs and tablets?
Why doesn't just have 2 editions?
That is one thing I don't understand.

As for another- why do they change things around with every single OS?
Renaming functions, moving them around, etc.
To fool stupid people into believing they are using new and fresh product?
(I still remember with horror how long I searched to defragmentate HDD, when jumped from XP to 7)

Hopefully Win9 will be worth it.
Unification vs fragmentation.

Two versions means two versions to develop and maintain from now, for both Microsoft itself and 3rd party developers who would like to provide their product as both a mobile app and a desktop one.

And of course, users have to use two different sets of programs and systems for much of the same stuff.

One version of windows means one version to develop and maintain, while allowing desktop users not only access to traditional programs, but also gives both desktop and mobile users access to mobile apps.

Personally, while Windows 8 has some flaws that I hope not see resolved in 9, overall I rather enjoy it.

While the lack of a start button required some adjusting to, I rather like having the entire 'mobile interface' thing as an alternative. it's plenty quick and you can still access everything just the same.

Plus, I rather like having access to apps outside of actually using a mobile device, ideally I'd prefer an android overlay, but what can you do...

What I do not like is when I am using the traditional desktop interface and attempt to open a file, and it defaults to one of the 'windows apps' to open it. Sure, it can be changed, but as a default it's bloody annoying when it happens. Nor do I like the screwy little side panel menus designed for side swiping on mobile devices. Pain in the ass on a desktop.
The problem with Windows 8 is that they didn't go far enough, they just added a tablet/phone OS layer of paint but didn't take any of the better features of mobile OS. Like easy and convenient backing up of apps/programs, you still install software the bog standard windows way.

With OS like Android and iOS all your apps and data are backed up as standard, no need for any other action. Lose your data? Buy a new or second device? Easy as pie to get everything setup and once given permission it will essentially take care of it by itself, with windows 8 you have to migrate the old way which takes more time and more user input.

A desktop OS should never be like a mobile OS but Microsoft could use a lot of the clean and simple utility of certain mobile OS with the ability to switch to more advanced modes with ease, the future will blend the operating systems more and more. Mobile devices are becoming really powerful now and for most purposes they match PCs in function for most tasks apart from core gaming and productive tasks like video editing, they handle browsing, media and office tasks just fine now and storage is about to go through the roof as we are now seeing 128GB tablets sparking a storage arms race.

With smart TV/monitor/display functionality in the future it will be possible to only own one device for everything apart from gaming and heavy duty tasks, screencasting is a little primitive at the moment but it shows potential. With wireless screencasting and input devices like keyboards a tablet can easily be a PC with all the large screen and HID options we have with PCs, as this tech improves it wont make PCs obsolete or give tablets a supremacy it will be a steady blending of the two.

Killclaw Kilrathi

Crocuta Crocuta
Dec 28, 2010
Megacherv said:
Xan Krieger said:
Megacherv said:
I like the Win8 start screen, much nicer then the small cluttered start menu that's been around for so long. Microsoft are changing how things are done and they should stick with it.

I don't know who said it, but some once said something along the lines of "Those who aren't willing to move from the start menu are stuck in the XP days"
The thing is we're sticking to what works and what works is the better interface of Windows 7. I think Windows 9 will be windows 7 with the improved speed of 8. The windows 8 interface is cluttered with all those colored blocks, it took me ages to find solitaire on it.
It's cluttered until you organise it to your liking.

I mean, seriously, take a good look at the Win7 start menu, is it really that nice to look at and use? Furthermore, Explorer added the ribbon from Office, which was a genius idea.
I agree with this, at first I was a bit mystified at the Win8 start menu but once I got used to it I saw that it's actually a vast improvement on the original start menu. It's a lot more intuitive even with a mouse and keyboard, and after I figured out how to get custom shortcuts on there it lost a lot of its awkwardness.

There are some things I think they could do better, though. They really need to find a better place for the Search/Run text box, it's a critical part of starting various programs easily and was better where I could reach it in one click, instead of moving the mouse to the top corner and waiting patiently for the appropriate menu to saunter over for the OPTION to click it.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Can see why they would do that,

Windows 8 really requires a bit of technical expertise to reconfigure so that it acts as if the metro thing never happened.

Just don't use any first-party programs, preferably even get open-source alternatives, and Windows 8 is completely usable and even faster than 7.

Which is really as damning as this article, but I'll say it again: Windows 8, perfectly fine as long as you don't use Microsoft programs on it.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
008Zulu said:
What can Microsoft do? HP is one of their biggest clients.
They could do what they always did and drop a fat check in someone's wallet, which would miraculously make this Win 7 offer disappear.

But at this point Win 9 is only moments away so they are probably saving that check for seasons and deals to come.

clippen05

Jul 10, 2012
I really don't see why people hate Windows 8. I use it in a traditional desktop computer, and it works fine. You don't have to use the Metro interface and can easily hide it. And it boots much faster than Windows 7, so there's that.

Haters gonna hate, I guess.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Smart idea. Avoid problems with the product by bypassing problematic/undesirable software.

Now if only HP were able to figure a way that they can avoid problems with the product by bypassing customers having to use their hardware, they would be raking in the cas... errr.. uhm.. waitaminute.