Hey Everybody, It's the God of War III Sex Scene! *NSFW*

bluemistake2

Sep 25, 2008
SakSak said:

*sigh*

the collective IQ mankind has apparently dropped another dozen or so points since the last time I looked.

Indeed, what is the point? Besides to use digital lesbians and rendered breasts to make a ludicrous amount of money more than what GoW III would have already made. Honestly, I feel ashamed by association to belong to the male side of humanity, because I know not just one, or two, but several cpies of the game will be sold based on that alone.

Just when I was hoping that humanity might have some hope after all... But no, implication of sex and a poor female actor voicing some uuhs and aahhs is still a surefire way to make bucketloads of money from gamers.
u may not know this but sex sells...now just a thing i wonder wtf he was doing that made the other 2 react like that... and why were there sword noises?? does he have a metal extension or something??

Apr 17, 2009
SakSak said:
IamQ said:
Because someone thought it would be a good idea to associate the greek goddess of beauty, love, sensuality and sexuality with nothing but hot steamy sex, using poor animations, poor voice acting and the male character associated with a game that paints entire mountains red with the blood of his 5000+ dead enemies, mortal and immortal alike.

And someone besides the guy from the marketing department agreed.

And now half of the internet is drooling over that.
Oh please, Aphrodite was such a slut in the myths. Face it, pretty much the only person on Olympus she hadn't shagged and/or been impregnated by was Hephaestus, her actual husband. Then there's the mortals, like Adonis and Anchises. Hell she even goes and effectively sells of Helen to Paris, and all just to win a pathetic little beauty contest. If you think she's some kind of untouchable MAdonna figure you really need to do your research better

Zacharine

Apr 17, 2009
Pallindromemordnillap said:
SakSak said:
IamQ said:
Because someone thought it would be a good idea to associate the greek goddess of beauty, love, sensuality and sexuality with nothing but hot steamy sex, using poor animations, poor voice acting and the male character associated with a game that paints entire mountains red with the blood of his 5000+ dead enemies, mortal and immortal alike.

Oh please, Aphrodite was such a slut in the myths. Face it, pretty much the only person on Olympus she hadn't shagged and/or been impregnated by was Hephaestus, her actual husband. Then there's the mortals, like Adonis and Anchises. Hell she even goes and effectively sells of Helen to Paris, and all just to win a pathetic little beauty contest. If you think she's some kind of untouchable MAdonna figure you really need to do your research better
Oh I know all that and I'm not discounting it. But do you think that is all she did? That she was only a 'slut', as you put it? Oh no, she was the goddess of sex yes, but also of sensuality, love and beauty. And yet all of it gets ignored in favour of only a part of her divine 'portfolio'.

Oh no, methinks you are the one in need of doing research. Go back and read those legends again. Then read some of the less populistic ones, like the story of Pygmalion. Because claiming she was a wanton slut and nothing more is like saying that Loki was only a trickster or Mars only a war-god...

Besides, now having seen the entire game, I am equally incenced for Pandora. There is artistic freedom, and then there is utter butchery of folklore and legends.

Fangface74

Lock 'n' Load
Feb 22, 2008
Stupidest thing I've seen in a long time (and I watch Fox!).

Not so much a sex scene, as a pre-pubescent, douche detector.

Apr 17, 2009
SakSak said:
SakSak said:
IamQ said:

Oh I know all that and I'm not discounting it. But do you think that is all she did? That she was only a 'slut', as you put it? Oh no, she was the goddess of sex yes, but also of sensuality, love and beauty. And yet all of it gets ignored in favour of only a part of her divine 'portfolio'.

Oh no, methinks you are the one in need of doing research. Go back and read those legends again. Then read some of the less populistic ones, like the story of Pygmalion. Because claiming she was a wanton slut and nothing more is like saying that Loki was only a trickster or Mars only a war-god...

Besides, now having seen the entire game, I am equally incenced for Pandora. There is artistic freedom, and then there is utter butchery of folklore and legends.
You cannot provide one myth and claim it overrules everything else said about the character. You can point out how she animated Galatea, but I can point out many more situations where she acted purely based on her baser traits. Her destruction of Hippolytus because he refused to offer her sacrifice, for example. One of those 'lesser known' myths you claim proves your point
Loki was a trickster who caused mayhem whenever he was bored and ended up causing Ragnarok. To say he was really a good guy because he saved Thor's hammer that one time (the only incident of him getting the Aesir out of trouble he didn't put them in in the first place). In fact he's pretty much the prime example of the Fire-Bringing Trickster archetype

Zacharine

Apr 17, 2009
SakSak said:
SakSak said:
IamQ said:

You cannot provide one myth and claim it overrules everything else said about the character. You can point out how she animated Galatea, but I can point out many more situations where she acted purely based on her baser traits. Her destruction of Hippolytus because he refused to offer her sacrifice, for example. One of those 'lesser known' myths you claim proves your point
Loki was a trickster who caused mayhem whenever he was bored and ended up causing Ragnarok. To say he was really a good guy because he saved Thor's hammer that one time (the only incident of him getting the Aesir out of trouble he didn't put them in in the first place). In fact he's pretty much the prime example of the Fire-Bringing Trickster archetype
I am not the one saying they are one-dimensional. Loki was not just a trickster and Aphrodite was not just a slut ruled by sex-drive. They were gods invented by humans and thus had human characteristics such as lust, envy, greed, altruism, genuine love. You are the one ignoring all of their other characteristics in favour of the ones they are mostly remembered for. It seems to me you are claiming one extreme and think I am claiming another (slut vs. untouchable virgin madonna), while I am saying that there were several shades of gray more to them than this kind of black-white dichotomy.

Apr 17, 2009
SakSak said:
SakSak said:
SakSak said:
IamQ said:

I am not the one saying they are one-dimensional. Loki was not just a trickster and Aphrodite was not just a slut ruled by sex-drive. They were gods invented by humans and thus had human characteristics such as lust, envy, greed, altruism, genuine love. You are the one ignoring all of their other characteristics in favour of the ones they are mostly remembered for. It seems to me you are claiming one extreme and think I am claiming another (slut vs. untouchable virgin madonna), while I am saying that there were several shades of gray more to them than this kind of black-white dichotomy.
I'm not saying they're one-dimensional at all. I'm saying they have dominant character traits, and that Aphrodite's actions in the cut-scene adhere fully to the dominant feature of her particular personality: that of a nymphomaniac. You do realise all her priestesses were prostitutes, right?

Zacharine

Apr 17, 2009
SakSak said:
SakSak said:
SakSak said:
IamQ said:

I'm not saying they're one-dimensional at all. I'm saying they have dominant character traits, and that Aphrodite's actions in the cut-scene adhere fully to the dominant feature of her particular personality: that of a nymphomaniac. You do realise all her priestesses were prostitutes, right?
And do note what I originally stated:

"Because someone thought it would be a good idea to associate the greek goddess of beauty, love, sensuality and sexuality with nothing but hot steamy sex"

I would have been perfectly fine with that sex scene if it served any other additional purpose than just a sex scene, if there had been any kind of plot-moment tied to meeting Aphrodite or they had tried to show even half of the effort given to the personality of every single other god in the game. With every other god or goddess shown in the game there is at least some level of character depth to them, with Aphrodite apparently they simply decided that throwing her on a bed with two female servants was enough personality and 'oh dear god who cares she's just a slut anyways let's just get ot the sex already. Digital Jubblies, rendering.'

We get a pointless fan-yay moment pure and simple, at the cost of gross oversimplification of greek mythology in regards to Aphrodite and wasted resources during game development.

Apr 17, 2009
SakSak said:
SakSak said:
SakSak said:
SakSak said:
IamQ said:

"Because someone thought it would be a good idea to associate the greek goddess of beauty, love, sensuality and sexuality with nothing but hot steamy sex"

I would have been perfectly fine with that sex scene if it served any other additional purpose than just a sex scene, if there had been any kind of plot-moment tied to meeting Aphrodite or they had tried to show even half of the effort given to the personality of every single other god in the game. With every other god or goddess shown in the game there is at least some level of character depth to them, with Aphrodite apparently they simply decided that throwing her on a bed with two female servants was enough personality and 'oh dear god who cares she's just a slut anyways let's just get ot the sex already. Digital Jubblies, rendering.'

We get a pointless fan-yay moment pure and simple, at the cost of gross oversimplification of greek mythology in regards to Aphrodite and wasted resources during game development.
Having actually played the game I can tell you there is a slight purpose to it. There is an option to not have sex with Aphrodite, but if you don't then you cannot continue in the game. She gives you information you need to repair a bridge, and then provides you with a portal leading to Hephaestus, who gives you what you need. You said you'd seen the game, did you miss that bit?

Zacharine

Apr 17, 2009
SakSak said:
SakSak said:
SakSak said:
SakSak said:
IamQ said:

Having actually played the game I can tell you there is a slight purpose to it. There is an option to not have sex with Aphrodite, but if you don't then you cannot continue in the game. She gives you information you need to repair a bridge, and then provides you with a portal leading to Hephaestus, who gives you what you need. You said you'd seen the game, did you miss that bit?
I know that part. And I also know it could have easily been replaced with yet another piece of advice either from Athena or Pandora. Pandora might have even been more fitting considering her relationship with Hephaestus but then again since she's been trapped, Athena might have been the better choice to come down with yet another inexplicable plot exposition from heaven, Deus Ex Machina advice from apparent omniscience like she's done half a dozen times already by that point.

Or are you telling me you consider one line of dialog enough to give purpose to the entire Aphrodite scene?

Nov 28, 2007
SakSak said:
SakSak said:
SakSak said:
SakSak said:
SakSak said:
IamQ said:

I know that part. And I also know it could have easily been replaced with yet another piece of advice either from Athena or Pandora. Pandora might have even been more fitting considering her relationship with Hephaestus but then again since she's been trapped, Athena might have been the better choice to come down with yet another inexplicable plot exposition from heaven, Deus Ex Machina advice from apparent omniscience like she's done half a dozen times already by that point.

Or are you telling me you consider one line of dialog enough to give purpose to the entire Aphrodite scene?
Err...correct me if I'm wrong, or this was reversed in III, but didn't Athena kinda...die near the end of II?

Zacharine

Apr 17, 2009
thebobmaster said:
Err...correct me if I'm wrong, or this was reversed in III, but didn't Athena kinda...die near the end of II?
Oh yeah, sorry, huge late spoiler warning.

Athena is dead, but not dead-dead. She's a shade of her former self, merely a ghostly see-trough body but has still some power and has done a 180 in regards to Zeus' continued existance. So she helps Kratos along but in the end doesn't quite get what she wanted. So she's kind of the tip-giver and tutorial voice-over rolled into one, as well as Deus Ex Machina for plot-elements.

Apr 17, 2009
SakSak said:
SakSak said:
SakSak said:
SakSak said:
SakSak said:
IamQ said:

It had already been established that Hephaestus had a direct line to Aphrodite, its just she never used it. And knowledge of how to repair the bridge would require either technical or current knowledge, which rules out both Pandora (who's been trapped for years) and Athena (engineering doesn't come under wisdom). I notice how your point seems to be drifting more towards you disliking sex scenes rather than disapproving how they dealt with Aphrodite

Captain Karma

Apr 1, 2010
The great thing about this is if I showed that video to my father today, he would go out and buy this game tomorrow. Without even playing the first two.

Zacharine

Apr 17, 2009
It had already been established that Hephaestus had a direct line to Aphrodite, its just she never used it. And knowledge of how to repair the bridge would require either technical or current knowledge, which rules out both Pandora (who's been trapped for years) and Athena (engineering doesn't come under wisdom). I notice how your point seems to be drifting more towards you disliking sex scenes rather than disapproving how they dealt with Aphrodite
Read my previous posts in this thread. I never said I disliked sex scenes on principle, but rather because in this case

it did nothing plot-wise (A return trip to Hephaestus would have even been possible, since at the broken bridge there were A: No harpies to ride, B: upward drafts to glide, C: no walls to climb etc), gameplay-wise or story-wise

vastly oversimplifies original greek mythology (then again, that has been getting bumfrakked sideways all troughout the game so what is a little more)

and used up time and resources in creating it, that could have been used to improve other portions of the game instead.

See some of my previous comments in this thread:

"They are using sex and sexuality to market a game that isn't about sex or sexuality. They are giving the boot to an even larger part of Greek mythology to do it (more than they already are, that is) and the scene does not add to the gameplay, story, overall polish or the end value to those gamers who happen not to be 'in need of it'. And creating this scene cost time and money, which could have been used to improve one of the aforementioned aspects of the game.

The reason I'm griping about this is that it leads to a worse product than what it would have been without it and no one seems to give a damn because they are distracted by Teh Jubblies."
"To clarify things further: I would be equally ranty if the scene was about Kratos making gooey faces to a child and the QTEs about making said child laugh. Or alternative if the scene was absolute harcore beastiality featuring Kratos, the Cerberus and a horde of Pegasi. The content of the scene, as it does not improve the gameplay, characters or story, is secondary to my complaints. The fact that it is sex simply makes it easier for people to ignore what I'm complaining about and see this all as being opposed to showing sex in general."
And as for engineering not falling under the purview of wisdom:

Athena: "Kratos, the bridge is broken. But this bridge was build by Hephaestus, perhaps you can get his help to cross it" - Cue return to the underworld via some twisted and long-winded means to lenghten gameplay and gaining the Electro-Blades (tm)

Aphrodite had one line that tied her to the game. A line that could have been said or the information in it gained via half-a-dozen other means, none of which involve Aphrodite. As far as plot and story is concerned, Aphrodite is useless. She serves no other purpose but the sex-scene.