hey final boss this is gonna be epic wait are you serious?

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
The one that instantly comes to mind is the final boss of Prince of Persia: Sands of Time.

Seriously? The final boss is some wizard asshole that's not even that big of a threat? I swear, this is one of the few things that keeps the game from being 10/10 material.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Irridium said:
Mass Effect 2 for me.

Human Reaper?

lol
Bleghh, why'd it have to be human anyways?

OP. Orsino and Meredith from DA2. Not that hard, and the big buildup amounting to nothing.

YeyJordan

Mar 28, 2010
Fallout 3: Though his status as a boss is debatable, the last thing you do before clearing the storyline is face Colonel Autumn whose head explodes just like any other NPC.

BioShock 2: A wave of Splicers indistinguishable from the rest? D:

Silent Hill Homecoming: I actually had no idea what I was fighting was the final boss until after I killed it and saw the ending. No real build-up and it was easier to kill than the two preceding bosses.

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
believer258 said:
Gameplay and challenge should be placed on a pedestal. It isn't that I don't support story in games, for I do very much dearly love a good story in any medium, but it's that a game must never, ever forget that it is very much a game. If we do forget that games are games, all we'll get is something that tries to tell a story as we mash buttons every now and then a la Heavy Rain. A game must have good gameplay and challenge or it really isn't a good game. It may be a good story, which is why I still own and enjoy Mass Effect 1, but as a game it can fail.

Let's use some examples, shall we? What story does Super Mario have? Nearly none, and what little it does is rehashed in every major Mario game. The closest thing to a twist that any of them have had is the baby Bowser from Super Mario Sunshine. Yet every one of the major Mario games (64, Sunshine, Galaxy, New SMB) are critically praised across the board. Same for the Zelda games. Outside of the Nintendo realm of things, look at the original Gears of War. There is a story in that one, but it isn't exactly very strong. It isn't a shining example of what you would use to illustrate to Roger Ebert that games are a great vehicle for stories. What it is, though, is a great game. There are several problems with it, surely, but most of it is pretty genius. As for boss fights, General RAAM is a great example of a modern boss fight that is very hard.

No video game should ever place story higher than gameplay. The opposite shouldn't happen, either, but part of games being art is the game part, and we cannot forget that while in search of a greater story. We mustn't forget that the interactivity is what makes our medium special and different, and while we're quick to spout that, no one can name many games that balance the two perfectly. Mass Effect 2 did it pretty well. Call of Duty 4 also did it quite well. Metroid Prime did it damn well. But what makes our medium special should always take precedence over storytelling because without it, we're just another book or movie with fancy computer graphics and occasional button presses.
And therein lies your problem.

My problem with gameplay and challenge being on a pedestal isn't that story should be there instead, it's that they should be equally valued. Not in all cases, obviously; there's nothing wrong with a game that focuses on just being fun (as you rightfully showed with your examples), nor is there anything wrong with a game that focuses on delivering a powerful narrative over fun gameplay. But the gaming community, and a lot of the art theory surrounding video games, thinks as you do; that gameplay and challenge are "what makes our medium special," as you said. But it's not.

What makes our medium special is interactivity (a word you used at one point, but not what you were talking about). Not challenge, nor a goal-driven nature, but interactivity on a broader scale. You brought up Heavy Rain as an example of a game that "tries to tell a story as we mash buttons now and then," but this is an inaccurate description. You are right that Heavy Rain is not a gameplay-oriented work, but that does not mean the player's role is diminished; Heavy Rain does not simply tell a story, it allows the player to be part of it. The player decides how the story turns out based on their actions; their choices, their victories, and their failures all determine the outcome. It may not be very game-like, but you simply cannot say it is not taking advantage of the medium's unique abilities. The player's part in Heavy Rain makes it something that could only be made in this medium; make it into a film and it loses the impact that interactivity provides.

What happens is that we get caught up in the "game" part. Fact is, our medium has evolved past that. Not that there is anything wrong with a game, again, but we have turned this medium into so much more than that, yet we stubbornly refuse to explore the areas of interactivity past rigid rulesets and simple win/loss outcomes. This is why moral choice systems, for instance, are still so weak; we continue to assert that each choice must have an absolute good or bad outcome so it can factor into the game-like elements rather than simply letting the player shape the story with their choices. As that Extra Credits episode said, moral choices suddenly become nothing more than gameplay problems with one "right," or most beneficial, solution.

And the fact is, interactivity even on its most basic level lends itself to the game's narrative. The player barely had any real power over the events in Phoenix Wright, for instance, but being in the shoes of the young lawyer still had an affect on the player, forming a connection to the game's protagonist because they are living vicariously through him. And even the smallest bit of interactivity can add to an experience. Referencing Modern Warfare again, I can tell you right now that if you simply watched that last scene in a movie, it would not have been as intense as you pulling the trigger on that controller. Sure, it wasn't difficult. And of course, it was a very scripted sequence. But the player's control, even over small things like that, has an effect no medium does. Similar things can be said regarding many, many moments in the Final Fantasy series. The point it, interactivity can be used very subtly, yet very effectively, and in many, many different ways; it does not need to manifest itself in the form of game-like rules and constant player control to set a work apart from other mediums.

In short, we shouldn't be putting interactivity ahead of storytelling, we should be using it to improve storytelling, and there are many ways to do that besides simply inserting a story into the gameplay.

F-I-D-O

I miss my avatar
Feb 18, 2010
Well, it's freshest on my mind
Crysis 2's final encounter. You can just run past it, until you meet the power armor level 2 aliens. Which the nearby k-volt stuns in a single hit.
SW:FU 2. Got vader in an infinite combo in the outside section
The aforementioned Batman Arkham Asylum
I thought mecha-ridley in metroid zero mission was fairly easy.
Pokemon Black and White's elite four. The final guy (N I think) was hard, but the elite four were really easy when I fought them.
Nicol Bolas (expansion one) in Magic the Gathering: Duels of the planeswalkers (2011). Compared to the original and expansion two, he seemed weak.

Black Arrow Officer

Jun 20, 2011
Ansem from Kingdom Hearts 1. I beat him in 1 try, no joke. The music was epic, but the fight was so easy that the entire ending felt like a waste.

Moontouched-Moogle

Nov 17, 2009
Final Fantasy VII: Dirge of Cerberus. The battle with
Weiss was fun, challenging, and tense, and would have made a great final boss. But then a big monster appeared (can't remember the name. Omega, maybe?), Vincent got a big gun with crazy high ammo, and you spent 20+ minutes flying around inside the boss to get to the final battle. I beat him by literally WALKING IN A WIDE CIRCLE AND SHOOTING REPEATEDLY. HE COULDN'T EVEN FIGHT BACK.

Also, in Castlevania, Symphony of the Night, the final battle with
Dracula is really cheap and easy if you use the sword Chrissaegrim, which, in addition to having a high attack stat, does repeated, rapid slashes as long as you mash the attack button, and can even be used while walking. To be fair though, this makes any boss cheap and easy, due to the ludicrous amount of damage you can dish out in a short amount of time with that sword.

Moontouched-Moogle

Nov 17, 2009
Xiado said:
CScuff said:
Xiado said:
CScuff said:
Well, let's start by saying NOT The Legend of the Dragoon. Megaman II, definitely. Aaaand as for the more modern era, the very last er...confrontation...sequence in MGS4 was a let-down.
Are you serious? Beating your destined enemy to death with your bare hands on top of a giant battleship, with the setting sun in the background? It's pretty epic if you don't just cheap out, and try to play it like a real fight.
Storyline epic, absolutely. That doesn't mean it wasn't disappointingly easy. I was hoping for my destined enemy to at least put up a decent fight to end the series. :eek:
That's true. But I do like how Liquid was about the same strength as Snake in gameplay as well as just the cutscenes.
Personally, I though it was a fair challenge. He kicked my ass the first time, and the second time I tried, I beat him with very little health to spare.

In all honesty, it was probably due to me failing to duck and sidestep. Then again, Old Snake would probably have difficulty with those too, especially with his muscle enhancing suit having been fried.

Ironsouled

Nov 5, 2009
People might hate me for this, but DA:O. Even on nightmare you could use vulnerability hex+spike spells/abilites to get to the ballista sections in thirty blamed seconds, tank and spank the adds on ballista sections, rinse, repeat, and then throw the *Secret Character* at him and solve the problem. I love Dragon Age but the archfiend was damnably depressing.

AT God

Dec 24, 2008
Duke Nukem Forever has the worst boss of all time just because the very first thing you do in the game is fight him, in a throwback to the time you fought him in the game before. He doesn't have any new real attacks after killing him on the first level of the game, except you have to do it three times. You also get the same gun to kill him, but have the choice of one other far less useful gun.

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
Greyah said:
Several bosses in Batman Arkham Asylum. Half of them you don´t even actually fight.

Harley Quinn just throws a lot of weak dudes at you while temporarily electrocuting certain floor parts, which is easy to avoid. When she comes down to fight you herself, you get a cutscene in which Batman punches her twice and then locks her up.

Killer Croc is hardly a boss fight. You walk around the sewers a bit, and as soon as you hear a roar and the music changes, you turn around, fling a batarang in his face, and just keep walking.

The Joker was a... joke (ba-dum-tish). You can just dodge his slow melee attack for a few seconds, he jumps out of the small arena, and throws a lot of weak dudes at you. You beat em up, pull joker down, repeat that twice, and win.

Not that I mind though! I can imagine quite well that the combat engine works a lot less well if you're just doing single target fights, and fighting a lot of weak dudes at the same time is a lot of fun.
Because you're the god-damn Batman, and can take any of those mooks as easily as the minions they send your way. With the exception of Croc, but the combat system would not work against him in the slightest. Also, Bats has a habit of not engaging him in a fair fight where possible. Same with Bane. Because they can kick his ass.

Side note: If the Scarecrow sections count as boss battles, Arkham Asylum has the best ones ever. Hope they bring that back somehow in Arkham City.
And now I really want that game. Hurry up, time!

AyreonMaiden

Sep 24, 2010
Super Mario Galaxy. Bowser's too damn easy. Always.

But honestly, when it comes to story driven games, I like my final bosses moderate to easy. I hate, and I mean HATE HATE HATE, being thrown off my groove for the final boss of the game. Most games build up a cinematic tension that just peaks at the final boss, and what I hate the most is when you're in an emotional moment, then have it ripped from you when the unforgiving final boss rears his head. Then it becomes anger.

Imagine dying in the middle of the Microwave hall scene in MGS4. Sad, heartwrenching moment when you first realize that holy shit, Solid Snake is walking through hell to destroy the Patriots. You're fighting for Snake's life with every fiber of your being as the world comes to an end around you...and then you then fail cause herp derp vidja challenge. Dump your previous emotions and do it again.

Or in the middle of the Liquid Ocelot fight at the end. Epic four-tier match, calling back to every game in the series with matching music and life bar styles. You're full of nostalgia and realization that it's nearly the end of a series you honestly don't want to end, yet you are ready to finally finish the fight. Then you die numerously because of shitty fight controls shoehorned into a stealth engine. Do it again, noob, you're in a vidya garme.

Or fighting Nyx Avatar at the end of Persona 3. You're preventing the end of the world at the top of Tartarus after a long unskippable cutscene. Time to fight. Takes you at least an HOUR to get halfway through. The main character, AND ONLY HIM, dies. Game over. Do it again.

Removes all semblance of tension and immersion, and I hate it so much. There's a time and a place for white-knuckle challenges, and the end of a story-driven game (when you're at the peak of the story and at the peak of your immersion and tension) is not it. Balance your fight so that it's not so easy that you lose your suspension of disbelief, but not so impossible that you WILL die numerous times and thus break the narrative and emotional flow.

Noah Shechtman

Apr 27, 2011
Surprised that I have not seen this Game mentioned yet. The Saboteur. Excellent storyline, great side missions, excellent graphics/art work. IMHO, Biggest let down of a final boss fight. Jump into a couple elevators, go to the top of the Eiffel Tower, shoot him once in the head and Game over.

deshorty

Dec 30, 2010
Kahunaburger said:
DasUberCow said:
Borderlands, borderlands. Oh my god, borderlands.
Haha srsly. Fortunately the DLC threw in General Knoxx, who is the epic final boss the vanilla game is lacking.
Borderlands original final boss was easy. But have you tried any of the other bosses? The massive claptrap was really difficult in single player.

pyrosaw

Mar 18, 2010
Shadowfaze said:
Beyond good and evil. REALLY, REALLY, annoying. They swap the controls around. It doesn't feel climactic, it just feels cheap
This, this, THIS a thousand times!!!

Zeema

The Furry Gamer
Jun 29, 2010
Infamous 2 Good side

throw 4 Shock Grenades
and you win

Infamous 2 Evil

Hit her with the Amp and the Amp Stuns her taking half her health