Hi-Rez F2P Shooter Paladins Takes Steam by Storm

Igor-Rowan

Apr 12, 2016
Hawki said:
If anything, it reminds me of Advance Wars.

...god damn it, where's my Advance Wars 5?!
Well, the Advance Wars trophies are still in Smash so Nintendo hasn't forgot about it. However the last Advance Wars was Days of Ruin, a dark reboot of the franchise that didn't sell well and people weren't every fond of. Intelligent Systems did breathe new life into Fire Emblem, maybe there just need to be demand for it.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Igor-Rowan said:
Hawki said:
If anything, it reminds me of Advance Wars.

...god damn it, where's my Advance Wars 5?!
Well, the Advance Wars trophies are still in Smash so Nintendo hasn't forgot about it. However the last Advance Wars was Days of Ruin, a dark reboot of the franchise that didn't sell well and people weren't every fond of. Intelligent Systems did breathe new life into Fire Emblem, maybe there just need to be demand for it.
Days of Ruin is actually my second favorite Advance Wars game, but I'm probably in the minority for it. But, yeah - Fire Emblem got a revival of sorts with Awakening, so I'm hoping that Advance Wars gets similar treatment.

Rangaman

Feb 28, 2016
So...a successful game was made, and then someone created another game like it? Shocking.

In all seriousness, Paladins has much lower system requirements than Overwatch and is free, so there's the reason behind the huge success.

Ryunami

Jul 1, 2011
Honestly though, there is only so much You can actually do in such a game. Same with mobas. At some point, You run into the same skills and skillsets because they are the only ones that make sense.

Of course the flying character will have a rocket launcher. You are looking downwards at the battlefield, that means every target will be visually smaller. You need splash damage to actually hit anything consistently. The only other sensible things would be melee diver (probably nausea-inducing when combined with flight) or grenadier (pure cancer. Just trust me on that).

Of course the tank in a FPS will have a shield. What else? And of course it will be rectangular - it's easier to animate than a circle, and has to presumably cover a lot of diverse character models of varying heights.

Of course the turret-building guy will be a dwarf in such a setting. That is not an overwatch character, that is a friggin' dwarf. It's a trope.

I could go on, but You probably get the point. And honestly? If they changed some minor stuff, what would the reaction be? "Oh, that's just like Overwatch Character XY, but he has a ROUND shield! Who do they think they're fooling? It's just a clone! And that one, that's just a mix of Overwatch Character A and B! How unoriginal! What, come up with a character concept that can't be described in those terms? Of course I can! I, um... just don't want to!"

They're not exactly on a generous budget. Why scrap weeks and months of concept art, modelling, animating etc. just to try to prevent the inevitable?