Hidden Save Deleting

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
It's funny you say that. I once deleted (not overwrote, deleted) my friends Pokémon Gold save in grade 6. That's done by pressing Up and B then saying yes. And that was accidental.
In any case, I would think it's just to make it harder for those inexperienced to do it accidently. Most little kids, even some big ones, like to get handhelds and just press buttons.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
WeepingAngels said:
Doom972 said:
It makes sense to me in Pokemon's case. I don't think anyone wants all of those hours lost due to a small mistake. There's no need to delete it anyway, as you can just start a new game and overwrite your save.
You can't overwrite a save from another game. You MUST delete the old save first and to do that you must remember (the game won't tell you) the correct button combination.
I thought that the OP meant that it works like in the old Pokemon games. I don't have a 3DS so I'll take your word for it. Still, it doesn't seem like that much of a hassle to google for that combination. It's not like it's a game that you would constantly want to restart anyway.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
This is actually a pretty common thing in handheld games that goes back /at least/ to the GBA, possibly further. May ave even popped up on some old console games with battery saves, although I can't think of any off hand. It's usually not a particularly complicated button combination, it's just a way of making sure you never delete anything on accident.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
Doom972 said:
WeepingAngels said:
Doom972 said:
It makes sense to me in Pokemon's case. I don't think anyone wants all of those hours lost due to a small mistake. There's no need to delete it anyway, as you can just start a new game and overwrite your save.
You can't overwrite a save from another game. You MUST delete the old save first and to do that you must remember (the game won't tell you) the correct button combination.
I thought that the OP meant that it works like in the old Pokemon games. I don't have a 3DS so I'll take your word for it. Still, it doesn't seem like that much of a hassle to google for that combination. It's not like it's a game that you would constantly want to restart anyway.
It's a handheld game which means that there is a huge chance you won't be near an internet connected device when trying to restart a game.

Since when is it ok to make "Erase Save" a mystery? Like I said, the new Zelda game makes you input a key combination too but it tells you which buttons to press. Pokemon could and should do that if they insist on using button combinations.

Owyn_Merrilin said:
This is actually a pretty common thing in handheld games that goes back /at least/ to the GBA, possibly further. May ave even popped up on some old console games with battery saves, although I can't think of any off hand. It's usually not a particularly complicated button combination, it's just a way of making sure you never delete anything on accident.
Making the button combination something you have to remember is the problem though. You can't accidentally delete a save file on the new Zelda game either but you also aren't expected to remember it.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
A kid can just as easily delete your game by starting a new one, so I'm not sure that's the issue.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
Zachary Amaranth said:
A kid can just as easily delete your game by starting a new one, so I'm not sure that's the issue.
No, you can't do that and that fact has already been stated in this thread.

Techno Squidgy

Nov 23, 2010
WeepingAngels said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
When did they bring this in? I seem to recall being able to do that all the way up to Gen 3. though I never played beyond there.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
Techno Squidgy said:
WeepingAngels said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
When did they bring this in? I seem to recall being able to do that all the way up to Gen 3. though I never played beyond there.
Another poster said it started with the DS.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
I managed to delete the save for Super Smash Bros. for N64 because my lack of English understanding so I can see why some would pick the option of needing button codes to delete the save file.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
WeepingAngels said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Huh. So when I lost my Diamond save, it was because a kid who had never played the series magically knew the delete code? How...Strange. I guess it's not that good a protection after all. You know, if kids who have never played the games before can arbitrarily guess it.

Or you're lying. I'm inclined to believe that. No offense, but personal experience does trump strangers on internet.

EDIT: Apparently "lying" is the wrong word. However, lecturing me using incomplete and partially false information isn't really much better.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
Zachary Amaranth said:
WeepingAngels said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Huh. So when I lost my Diamond save, it was because a kid who had never played the series magically knew the delete code? How...Strange. I guess it's not that good a protection after all. You know, if kids who have never played the games before can arbitrarily guess it.

Or you're lying. I'm inclined to believe that. No offense, but personal experience does trump strangers on internet.

EDIT: Apparently "lying" is the wrong word. However, lecturing me using incomplete and partially false information isn't really much better.
What am I lying about? Also, if you haven't played a Pokemon game since Diamond, isn't it possible that your information is out of date?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
WeepingAngels said:
Sorry to hurt your ego.
You're not hurting my ego. You're simply pretending I'm talking about current Pokémon games because taking my words as written would make your statement false.

You've already backtracked, why not just drop the falsehoods?

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
Zachary Amaranth said:
WeepingAngels said:
Sorry to hurt your ego.
You're not hurting my ego. You're simply pretending I'm talking about current Pokémon games because taking my words as written would make your statement false.

You've already backtracked, why not just drop the falsehoods?
Well, it's obvious you didn't read the thread before you posted but even more surprising is that you didn't read the OP where it was mentioned that he was talking about a 3DS Pokemon game. So why would I assume you were talking about GBA Pokemon games?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
WeepingAngels said:
Well, it's obvious you didn't read the thread before you posted
Ironic, since one of your lasts posts to me completely ignored what I said and act as if it never happened. This one does, too, since I'm only precluding the notion of why the "delete save" codes exist. That they exist for the reason I dispute is dubious because they predate other "safety" features.

Nothing here specifically says that 3DS games...Well, nothing specifically addresses 3DS games because it doesn't need to. It was addressing the actual information being disseminated as to why.

And that's valid here. People are saying their existence is for a reason that doesn't track. And you're not even arguing the clumsy diction, you're outright omitting my argument and replacing it with something else.

In future conversations, please try to limit your arguments to things I have actually said. And please try to not ignore parts of my post and then complain that I'm saying something different. I've clarified myself more than is necessary here, honestly. And hopefully, that's that.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
BigTuk said:
Ryu890 said:
Twice in the recent past, I've noticed a somewhat odd trend in handheld games. (Once with Poke'mon X, and once with Kid Icarus: Uprising.) Neaither of these times was the first I've seen of this, but they bring to mind this somewhat disturbing trend, so I figured it was worth discussing.

Both of these games make it abysmally difficult to delete your save file. Not through any complicaited procedures, but through the simple fact one can't simply select a 'delete' button, to delete the file. You have to press a certain button combination in a specific section, the instructions for which isn't mentioned anywhere in the game, or in the manual, and I had to look it up online both times.

So, here's my question. I can't think of, for the life of me, what the benefit of this is. Can any of you?
Making things difficult to delete... to make sure that it's not deleted accidentally. IT's thesame reason why Ctrl-Alt-Del is the way it is, those are three keys that are virtually iompossible to hit in error.
CTRL ALT DELETE was a mistake. Bill Gates wanted a one button solution.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/26/tech/innovation/bill-gates-control-alt-delete/

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
BigTuk said:
WeepingAngels said:
BigTuk said:
Ryu890 said:
Twice in the recent past, I've noticed a somewhat odd trend in handheld games. (Once with Poke'mon X, and once with Kid Icarus: Uprising.) Neaither of these times was the first I've seen of this, but they bring to mind this somewhat disturbing trend, so I figured it was worth discussing.

Both of these games make it abysmally difficult to delete your save file. Not through any complicaited procedures, but through the simple fact one can't simply select a 'delete' button, to delete the file. You have to press a certain button combination in a specific section, the instructions for which isn't mentioned anywhere in the game, or in the manual, and I had to look it up online both times.

So, here's my question. I can't think of, for the life of me, what the benefit of this is. Can any of you?
Making things difficult to delete... to make sure that it's not deleted accidentally. IT's thesame reason why Ctrl-Alt-Del is the way it is, those are three keys that are virtually iompossible to hit in error.
CTRL ALT DELETE was a mistake. Bill Gates wanted a one button solution.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/26/tech/innovation/bill-gates-control-alt-delete/
He's lying and everyone is engineering knows this. Since 95 near about every keyboard has had no less than 3 windows specific buttons. Look at your keyboard, they're right there, right between the ctrl and alt keys on either side of the space bar (unless you have one of those funky ergo keyboards in which case I have no clue where they are). There's also the pause/break button that literally no application uses.

See even if he required 3 buttons he could have made it ctrl+alt+shift 3 buttons but still more convenient. CAD is deliberate because initially it was a key stroke combination that was impossible to strike by accident. It requires a deliberate action on the user's part and in many cases two hands. Which is why almost 20 years since windows had it's own specific keys on keyboards.. they still haven't implemented the one button solution.

So yeah, Bill's talking out his unbelievably rich ass. The truth is, due to the way CAD functions going into it is a near last resort bit of troubleshooting but it's also an area where a novice user could potentially screw up their system So as with most things the devs make such things hard to do. It's the same way a Microwave is designed so that you can't turn it on when the door is open.
No offense but I am going with Bill Gates on this one, it's his product.