Hideo Kojima and Women

Dave Brohman

Apr 7, 2010
Glad I'm not the only one who realizes that Hideo Kojima is twelve flavours of crazy.

The George Lucas comparison is apt beyond simply representing an auteur run amok. Kojima, like Lucas, is riding his name like a surfboard on a seemingly endless wave fanboy adulation engendered by his early work. I find the entire MGS series to be akin to like Lady Gaga or Marmite - products whose popularity is an absolute mystery to me.

Lord_Gremlin

Apr 10, 2009
Wow, I couldn't even complete Kane and Lynch 2 demo, it's just too shitty to tolerate. And he played through the entire game - I can't imagine how pissed he must be.

Also, I think I should go buy MGS4. Never played it, and I had PS3 for a long time, almost got to trophy level 13.

Jun 7, 2010
Phoenix09215 said:
Secret world leader (shhh) said:
MGS4: Naomi upskirt shot and beauty and beasts.
MGS:pW: x-ray pervert-o-vision.
MGS: rising: ????
Oh God a game with Raiden... I fear for my soul if I can press a button during a cutscene. "shudders"

And also; Naomi upskirt shot? <.<
Yes, when snake meets her in the hospital, she sits on a bed and he drops his cigarette. Hold L1 and it goes into first person view and snake turns to sneak a peek up there. At least thas how i remember it.

kuolonen

Nov 19, 2009
I didn't end up playing much of Peace Walker on my trip, but fortunately I was able to play through the entirety of Kane and Lynch 2 the day after I got back. Much obliged, Io Interactive. Although somehow I doubt you'll return those sentiments after the review.
Ohhohou, this is gonna be good... looking forward for tomorrow.

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
Phoenix09215 said:
Oh God a game with Raiden... I fear for my soul if I can press a button during a cutscene. "shudders"

Yes, when snake meets her in the hospital, she sits on a bed and he drops his cigarette. Hold L1 and it goes into first person view and snake turns to sneak a peek up there. At least thas how i remember it.
Never mind the fact that they plant the camera squarely at chest height whenever she wanders into the scene. And she's not wearing a bra for some reason, and has her lab coat and shirt buttoned down to her navel.
She looks ridiculous!
I mean I can kinda see why they had it for Eva, because she was trying to manipulate him with the sexy, but it was just totally off character in that game.

Mgs was never short on fanservice though, so it's not that surprising...

Thunderhorse31

Apr 22, 2009
I've found the odd sexist vibe tough to overcome at points as well, especially in MGS4.

<spoiler=Just in case someone here hasn't played MGS4, though I doubt it>Besides the obvious insanity of the boss fights, I was surprised that I didn't feel bad about Naomi dying, at all. I guess it had something to do with the fact that her and Snake's relationship had progressed from innocent flirting in MGS, to backstabbing, to the unbelievability of her helping both sides without being noticed, to the whole "Press L1 to stare at her boobs or look up her skirt" scenes. It's just silly. As were her reasons/circumstances for killing herself.

"I'm being kept alive by medical advances, how terrible, boo hoo..." *click*

Seriously? I didn't feel remotely sympathetic during that scene, though I got the impression they were trying to force me to feel that way. Contrivance be damned!

Anyway, I'm amused by the fact that even genius scientists are made to walk around with their shirts unbuttoned for your viewing pleasure. As if you might be tempted to respect this individual as a person, here are tits to remind you "Oh, it's a woman."

Forgetitnow344

Jan 8, 2010
I've always loved this exact thing about Kojima's work. MGS manages to combine beautiful story-telling, compelling characters, and an enthralling plot while still maintaining a fantastic sense of humor and several little Easter Eggs that are so ridiculous I have to love them. Haha, I remember when I put my controller down during a codec call with my lovely shrink. Suddenly, her boobs jiggled! All I could think was, "No way. That can't be real." Sure enough, Sixaxis made her boobs jiggle. I know everyone else knew all about this a long time ago, but I had avoided info about MGS4 like the plague.

snowman6251

Nov 9, 2009
I'll admit that sometimes the story in the Metal Gear series gets a little wonky and frequently do cutscenes run on too long but I can't help but love the series. I like the characters, as overly verbose as they are, and I really like the gameplay, particularly in 4. Not enough games have stealth elements, let alone stealth elements that don't amount to "Wait til enemy patrols past corner. Run behind his back to other shadow".

I'm also really looking forward to Rising for entirely unrelated reasons. That trailer had the coolest sword combat I've ever seen.

dangitall

Mar 16, 2010
Nazz3 said:
thetrue13th said:
So he hasn't got to the mission 'A date with Paz' yet...
And completed it with a S rank.

Nor went to the Outer Heaven staff to 'preview' the womens 3D models :p
Right now I am suprised that some humans out there are doing that, and proudly annoucing such a disgraceful thing.
[sub][sub]Do you get any new weapons after that?[/sub][/sub]

Jun 7, 2010
Outright Villainy said:
Phoenix09215 said:

Never mind the fact that they plant the camera squarely at chest height whenever she wanders into the scene. And she's not wearing a bra for some reason, and has her lab coat and shirt buttoned down to her navel.
She looks ridiculous!
I mean I can kinda see why they had it for Eva, because she was trying to manipulate him with the sexy, but it was just totally off character in that game.

Mgs was never short on fanservice though, so it's not that surprising...
I never noticed the camera placement.

Also, i just remembered that when talking to rosemary in the codec, shaking the sixaxis makes her boobs jiggle.

jamescorck

Jan 25, 2010
Yeah, but what can you expect from a game series when the first instalment of it included a part where you had to check the ass of enemies in order to identify who was wagging it side to side? Because, you know, she was a girl and so wasn't trying to infiltrate with the enemy or anything.

Looking forward to Kane and Lynch 2! Let's see what an honest person thinks about it.

kintaris

Apr 5, 2010
I think it's not just the simple fact that there is a hell of a lot of female exploitation in the games, which, sadly, is true of many others. It's the way that Kojima makes you the pervert, and gives you the opportunity, should you choose to take it, to become a peeping Tom. He does this by putting almost all the 'sexiest' shots into an alternative viewpoint, if you press the view button at the right time.

Instead of these depictions being even marginally related to the story, Kojima instead is openly saying, here's the cutscene and the narrative, but if you feel like seeing some tits or a flash of underwear, press this button. It undermines further what little credibility the series has in the first place.

If you're talking about a game like, for example, Bayonetta, the exploitation is acceptable within the context of the work, because it is a game based around a batshit insane woman whose clothes explode off all the time. That was the unique selling point of the game. But MGS, these are games that are sold on their narrative depth, their conflicted central characters and the unique stealth counter-terrorist gameplay. Jiggling tits and up-skirt camera angles just don't gel with that.

Neither does a monkey in a diaper, though. Or a soldier literally having diarrhoea on screen. Or... you get the picture.

Looking forward to Lynch getting a Kaneing. Yeah, I went there.

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
Women and young girls with fucked up backgrounds, some of which get turned into super-weapons? That sounds an awful lot like Elfen Lied.* And it's just about as coherent as MGS.

*A friend forced me to watch all of that depressing series. I really wish I can un-watch it.

Zer0Saber

Aug 20, 2008
Did anyone listen to the tape of the lesbian lotion rubdown in Peace Walker? That's not a joke, that's in the game.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Pretty much what I expected from Yahtzee, but, also fairly honest too...well, to be expected when you done like Kojima as it is, heh

Raithnor

Jul 26, 2009
To be fair: Yes, Lucas did put Leia in a metal bikini (which became iconic in its own right) but Lucas didn't have the camera "molest" her the way Kojima, Team Ninja, and Michael Bay (see TF:ROTF first scene with Mikayla) seem to.

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
Sinclose said:
Wasn't really expecting any compliment from a man who so openly despises Kojima's work :p
He never said he despised him, he said his writting/story telling is absolute crap. Which it is. From what I gather the gameplay in MGS4 is excellent... It's a shame you get to experience about 2/3 hours of it between 10 hours of cinematics exposing the horribly overwritten and contrived piece of tripe that is the MGS4 story.

That said...

I didn't end up playing much of Peace Walker on my trip, but fortunately I was able to play through the entirety of Kane and Lynch 2 the day after I got back. Much obliged, Io Interactive. Although somehow I doubt you'll return those sentiments after the review.
Oh...this will be good.