Higgs Boson Points to End of Whole Universe

Zombie Sodomy

Feb 14, 2013
This is actually one of the most optimistic possible outcomes for our universe that scientists have put forward. Before the two basic models were:
1) The universe will continue to expand until everything is so for apart that for all intents and purposes there will be nothing in the entire universe.
and
2) The universe will collapse in on itself and either stay that way or re-big bang.
Edit: there are more but I'm not going into all that, there's just too much going on and I'm a bit rusty on some of this stuff.

In my opinion this model is much happier than either of these. Just imagine that humanity manages to outlive Earth; that we or some other form of life manages to endure and make it to the creation of a new universe. The expansion would be incredibly slow. Light years are nothing when you consider the size of the universe, and it will be much bigger by the time anything like this could happen. Now think of all the advances to technology in the past few decades. Imagine what kind of technology might exist a few billion years from now if someone/thing somehow manages to survive. If you can imagine this far, it's not that much of a stretch to imagine that just maybe some form of intelligent life would be prepared and possibly find a way to move from the old universe to the new.

It's a long shot but if this theory is true we just might have a chance of avoiding the complete extinction of every species that ever has or will exist anywhere in the universe. That's more than we had before, and that makes me happy. Please tell me if you have relevant information on any of the ideas I have put forward. I'm not a professional scientist, just an enthusiast, and I could have something wrong.

Zombie Sodomy

Feb 14, 2013
Kuilui said:
Futurama was right?! Holy crap. Well maybe not really but who knows for certain. For anyone who's wondering I'm talking about the episode where Bender the professor and Fry see the universe be born and die a few times when they are going through time and the only difference is everything's like 10ft higher than it was before.
That's a different theory known as the Big Crunch; I think, it's been a while. I mentioned it in my more in depth post, but basically the difference is with the big crunch you have just one universe that expands and contracts, rather violently, but with this new theory a new universe is created inside an old universe and expands, destroying the old universe as it expands to fill the same space.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
rhizhim said:
well, thats shit.
might as well stop searching for a second earth..
Why? We'll still get billions of years of use out of it.

And if the human race is still alive in billions of years, we might find a way around this. Hell, if we're still around in billions of years, we'll be fucking Time Lords so we can live outside of space-time.

Assuming that physicists in 150 years aren't looking at this theory and laughing the way we look at what people thought about the universe in the mid-to-late 1800s

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Ya, actually this seems pretty optimistic. We've always thought the universe would end someday, at least this way it'll pave the way for a new one.

kael013

Jun 12, 2010
I'd prefer the Big Freeze to this outcome; there's no way you could ever make me feel happy about my universe being erased to make room for a universe for xenos.

Also why is it that scientists always have some dark prediction for the future? "Oh, the universe will keep expanding until it's, for all intents and purposes, empty." "No, it'll collapse into nothing." "You're both wrong. Another universe will erase it and take it's place." Why can't we have a "Everything remains the same" option?

Zombie Sodomy

Feb 14, 2013
kael013 said:
Also why is it that scientists always have some dark prediction for the future? "Oh, the universe will keep expanding until it's, for all intents and purposes, empty." "No, it'll collapse into nothing." "You're both wrong. Another universe will erase it and take it's place." Why can't we have a "Everything remains the same" option?
Um... because reality? This new one really isn't all that depressing, but if you just want to be told what you want to hear don't look to science. There are quite a few organizations out there that will, but not science because science really doesn't care what anyone thinks of it. Science is a badass.

launchpadmcqwak

Dec 6, 2011
If there is one thing i fear, its not existing....jesus someone build an inter universe transporter or something...i'm no scientist...

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
It's amazing that we keep coming to all these conclusions based on what little evidence we see. We can't even really travel through space yet and we already think we know exactly how the universe began, works and ends. It's like hearing a shut-in talk about the nuances of socializing at parties.

kael013

Jun 12, 2010
Zombie Sodomy said:
kael013 said:
Um... because reality? This new one really isn't all that depressing, but if you just want to be told what you want to hear don't look to science. There are quite a few organizations out there that will, but not science because science really doesn't care what anyone thinks of it. Science is a badass.
That's not really a good answer and insulting me by insinuating I'm a sheep that wants to be guided is just tactless. I'm sorry I had the audacity to make a joke about a sudden observation I had. All I was saying was that scientists seem to like to come up with the darkest outcome imaginable with very little evidence in this area. "The universe is expanding!? Oh no it'll keep going indefinitely!" Maybe it works the chest expansion during breathing: expands than contracts, then repeats? We don't know. Ditto with the Big Crunch option.

Klumpfot

Dec 30, 2009
This seems remarkably similar to the Molecular Detachment Device (Doctor Device) from Ender's Game. Sci-fi sort of predicted another thing!

It'll be neat to read what conspiracy nuts think about it too.

delroland

Sep 10, 2008
Zombie Sodomy said:
Then why don't we see any super-technology species from preexisting universes running around? Furthermore, if a species could transcend the creation of a new universe, would not they survive the next transition as well, with another 12 billion years to develop their technology? Repeat this ad-nauseum, and this means either 1) one super-race wipes out everyone so they can't jump to the next universe as well (to prevent overcrowding), or 2) after 12 billion years species get invariably bored with existence and kill themselves, or 3) universe-hopping isn't possible.

Zombie Sodomy

Feb 14, 2013
delroland said:
Zombie Sodomy said:
Then why don't we see any super-technology species from preexisting universes running around? Furthermore, if a species could transcend the creation of a new universe, would not they survive the next transition as well, with another 12 billion years to develop their technology? Repeat this ad-nauseum, and this means either 1) one super-race wipes out everyone so they can't jump to the next universe as well (to prevent overcrowding), or 2) after 12 billion years species get invariably bored with existence and kill themselves, or 3) universe-hopping isn't possible.
I made it pretty clear that the whole thing was a long shot. It's just an idea.

delroland

Sep 10, 2008
Zombie Sodomy said:
Oh, I'm not criticizing you. Just throwing some thoughts out there for discussion.

Zombie Sodomy

Feb 14, 2013
delroland said:
Zombie Sodomy said:
Oh, I'm not criticizing you. Just throwing some thoughts out there for discussion.
There would definitely be some interesting repercussions if something like this actually happened. The new universe might already populated and there would be a massive genocide when the old universe residents came. That actually wouldn't be half bad as a book.

Zombie Sodomy

Feb 14, 2013
kael013 said:
Zombie Sodomy said:
kael013 said:
That's not really a good answer and insulting me by insinuating I'm a sheep that wants to be guided is just tactless. I'm sorry I had the audacity to make a joke about a sudden observation I had. All I was saying was that scientists seem to like to come up with the darkest outcome imaginable with very little evidence in this area. "The universe is expanding!? Oh no it'll keep going indefinitely!" Maybe it works the chest expansion during breathing: expands than contracts, then repeats? We don't know. Ditto with the Big Crunch option.
Yeah tactless pretty much describes me. Sorry if you felt insulted. People aren't my specialty.

kael013

Jun 12, 2010
Zombie Sodomy said:
Yeah tactless pretty much describes me. Sorry if you felt insulted. People aren't my specialty.
Eh, it's cool. I'm a joker with a temper like a strobe light - quick to ignite and quick to die. I got over it halfway through my reply. But yeah I know what you mean; people aren't my specialty either (neither is science apparently).

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
kael013 said:
That's not really a good answer and insulting me by insinuating I'm a sheep that wants to be guided is just tactless.
Was he saying that? I think that came more from you than from him.

Besides, isn't this good news? If the universe is cyclical, then life will never vanish forever, only temporarily, and more intelligent beings will get their chance to experience it even after we're gone. That sounds a lot better to me than the alternatives we've previously had.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Cyclical universe by new one taking over the old. yeah, it starts making sense finally. science wins.