High-End PC Manufacture Ditches AMD Graphics Chips

briankoontz

May 17, 2010
lacktheknack said:
Snotnarok said:
I'm not really surprised someone is complaining about ATI given their track record with keeping their product software up to date. I've been avoiding them because of that, they're just not great for the cash asked.
And <link=http://img5.joyreactor.cc/pics/post/geek-%D0%BF%D0%B5%D1%81%D0%BE%D1%87%D0%BD%D0%B8%D1%86%D0%B0-ATI-86865.jpeg>this nicely sums up the problems I've had with ATI cards. We're in agreement.
In other news - McDonald's is awesome and Burger King sucks, and Pepsi is awesome while Coke sucks.

Doesn't everyone know that when there's two leading companies in a product group, one's always way way better than the other? I mean, Tigers way way better than Athletics, amirite?

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
ObsidianJones said:
Adam Jensen said:
I'm surprised that companies like these even exist. What kind of PC gamer buys a preconfigured PC? It's a waste of money.
those of us who didn't go into computers as a career and don't have the time or know where to go to learn how to build one?

If you could point some of us in the direction of learning how to do so, I'm sure I wouldn't be the last person to thank you.
Well, this place. And Internet forums dedicated to PC gaming. I like the Tek Syndicate. They also have a very entertaining and informative YouTube channel where you can find videos of various PC builds depending on your budget.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
briankoontz said:
lacktheknack said:
Snotnarok said:
I'm not really surprised someone is complaining about ATI given their track record with keeping their product software up to date. I've been avoiding them because of that, they're just not great for the cash asked.
And <link=http://img5.joyreactor.cc/pics/post/geek-%D0%BF%D0%B5%D1%81%D0%BE%D1%87%D0%BD%D0%B8%D1%86%D0%B0-ATI-86865.jpeg>this nicely sums up the problems I've had with ATI cards. We're in agreement.
In other news - McDonald's is awesome and Burger King sucks, and Pepsi is awesome while Coke sucks.

Doesn't everyone know that when there's two leading companies in a product group, one's always way way better than the other? I mean, Tigers way way better than Athletics, amirite?
Dude, does it surprise you that people who experience a massive quality gap between two products are willing to warn you about it?

This isn't a question of preference, this is a question of "My card performed poorly and I had issues with the drivers, while my card had the decency to work".

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
ZippyDSMlee said:
Who? I mean really dose it matter if they are barely known? Sounds like a publicity stunt...
They gained a good chunk of notoriety back when they <link=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103302-Ridiculous-Gaming-PC-Stuffs-Xbox-360-Into-the-Case-as-Well>stuffed an Xbox 360 in their PC.

They're probably as well-known as the likes of IBuyPower. The Rolls-Royce of prebuilt PCs, if you will.

romxxii

Feb 18, 2010
bloodyguard said:
romxxii said:
I responded to him because he was using synthetics to grade GPU's, thing that nobody does nowadays. In Linus's videos he adds the 7970 and the 680 in later ones and by drivers I mean the Never Settle, which boosted the performance of the whole line-up by a significant amount. Also, he tested mostly Gaming Evolved titles because they were more than the Way It's Meant to be Played ones. And I'm pretty sure I said that AMD beats nVidia in their respective price bracket, so no 7970Ghz vs Titan.
I agree that synthetics are a poor measure of GPU performance ranking. However, I believe that Linus' methodologies are not as neutral as they can be. For instance, there are about an equal number of games optimized for Nvidia and AMD, so you should use as large a sample of test games as possible to get a legitimate performance benchmark. Otherwise, you run into the problem of painting an incomplete picture, one that favors a side. In this case, because they choose Gaming Evolved titles, obviously will perform better on AMDs. Now, run the same test, but use only Nvidia optimized titles. The picture will change completely, with AMD losing to Nvidia. Get it?

Personally, I'd prefer benchmarks from guys like Tom's Hardware, who not only test under multiple titles, but also test for frame-time variance. Then there's TechPowerUp, who reviews under multiple resolutions and settings. There's also Xbit Labs, who do performance comparison charts with over 20 games.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
ObsidianJones said:
Adam Jensen said:
I'm surprised that companies like these even exist. What kind of PC gamer buys a preconfigured PC? It's a waste of money.
those of us who didn't go into computers as a career and don't have the time or know where to go to learn how to build one?

If you could point some of us in the direction of learning how to do so, I'm sure I wouldn't be the last person to thank you.
We have a User group dedicated to that! :D
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/PC-Builders-and-Hardware-Group

Wait...
Ed130 said:
ObsidianJones said:
Adam Jensen said:

That's easy, the internet of course!

Try The Escapists PC Builders and Hardware Group for advice and tips.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/PC-Builders-and-Hardware-Group

Curse you, you beat me to it!

Anyway back on topic. I personally prefer the AMD cards as my money tends to be hoovered straight into College and so the value for money I get with them is appreciated. Although through my own fault I did manage to have a cascade of driver and OS failures for a couple of months which necessitated restoring my PC to factory conditions...

Anyway. Yeah I'm not sure exactly why they would do something like this. AMD cards in the mid range perform as well as or better than their Nvidia counterparts, however Nvidia outdo them in the top tier with stuff like their TITAN technology so maybe that's the reason?

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Adam Jensen said:
Lazy ones? Rich ones? Lach (lazy+rich) ones?

Anyway, never was fan of AMD/Radeon GPUs anyway
I like AMD CPUs thought
Finding motherboard (AMD cpu+Nvidia GPU) was usually a bit tricky

Shuu

Apr 23, 2013
Who cares which performs better! They're missing the important thing: Who's got the snazzier looking hardware? :D

Kaymish

The Morally Bankrupt Weasel
Sep 10, 2008
this news is a bit weird i suspect that nVidia gave a good deal and origin is papering over the real reason i have had top end sapphire cards in all my rigs and there has never ever been an issue and the power to dollar ratio is always much better ans as for drivers as long as the game works within 3 days of release there is no problem from my point of view however in my experience i have not had an issue with drivers being out of date or causing any other issues and i have not noticed a difference in performance between rigs of the same spec as mine with Nvidia cards
of course you cant bet the titan (yet) but that is so expensive its not even worth it

Andrew_C

Mar 1, 2011
Both manufacturers have their problems. Back in the days of NVidia's GeForce 7 and 8 series GPU's their mobile GPU's had a serious problem with delaminating due to short cuts they took in the manufacturing process. They ended up having to pay a serious amount to the computer manufacturers to cover the cost of all the laptops they had to replace.

A lot of people insisted it also affected their desktop GPU's, although nothing was proved. In my experience, my 8800GTX was the only GPU to die on me, (no bursting into flames, though).

That's the real reason for the NVidia GeForce 9 series GPU's, which were basically just the 8 series manufactured under a new process and renamed to escape the bad publicity.

prpshrt

Jun 18, 2012
Tbh, I was put off AMD LONG before all this next gen console and all out war bullshit. My last desktop with an AMD processor and an ATI graphics card generated a lot of heat which resulted in its death. Granted this was years ago but still bad enough to leave a bad taste in my mouth. Not to say I wouldn't repurchase an ATI product, just that it damn sure better be good.

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
IanDavis said:
High-End PC Manufacture Ditches AMD Graphics Chips

-snip-

Just in case you don't follow corporate battles like the World Series, this is just the latest in a long line of cat fights. Earlier this year, AMD won the contracts to manufacture the chips in both the Xbox One and Playstation 4, after years of diminishing market share. [a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/128108-Nvidia-Console-Graphics-Will-Never-Again-Outpace-PCs]Nvidia responded[/a] to the news by saying that they didn't really want the console market anyway, as PCs would always be better (and have a higher margin).
I believe their initial response was (can find a link if needed), that they would rather concentrate on growing their mobile tegra business, that nets them higher margins than the console deals would have. Seems smart to me as the mobile space is exploding, where as consoles are going the way of PC's, i.e becoming niche.

Also I believe they did not say that 'PC's would always be better', but that they would be capable more GPU power. That was it, but please don't let me stop you fanning the flames of an AMD vs NVIDIA thread...

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
lacktheknack said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
Who? I mean really dose it matter if they are barely known? Sounds like a publicity stunt...
They gained a good chunk of notoriety back when they <link=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103302-Ridiculous-Gaming-PC-Stuffs-Xbox-360-Into-the-Case-as-Well>stuffed an Xbox 360 in their PC.

They're probably as well-known as the likes of IBuyPower. The Rolls-Royce of prebuilt PCs, if you will.
Still less relevant than everyone else. And I have to wonder if they have tried their newer hardware or at the very least bought products from the better vendors like Sapphire..

Mind you I am a nivida fanboy, just had to many issues with ATI(drivers) and AMD dose not have good price/performance.